Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default It always comes back to turnovers

Below is our year end turnover ratio for the last 10 years. This team is a -10 so far this year and the D has only forced 1 turnover in 4 games. This D has lived by forcing picks and fumbles in years past. We've been to the AFC championship game 5 of the last 10 years. Those 5 trips to the AFC title game were also the top 5 seasons in turnover ratio on this list for us.

2011 -10
2010 17
2009 -3
2008 4
2007 3
2006 -8
2005 7
2004 11
2003 -3
2002 0
2001 7

Our D looks bad our O-line looks bad, but I think we'd be surpised how much better they'd look with 2 additional posessions for the offense and 2 less for the defense each game. They have to get this turnover issue corrected or they are toast. They won a game last week against the Colts where they lost the turnover battle 3-1. Teams that lose the turnover battle by -2 or more lose 98% of the time. This can't continue.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: It always comes back to turnovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
Below is our year end turnover ratio for the last 10 years. This team is a -10 so far this year and the D has only forced 1 turnover in 4 games. This D has lived by forcing picks and fumbles in years past. We've been to the AFC championship game 5 of the last 10 years. Those 5 trips to the AFC title game were also the top 5 seasons in turnover ratio on this list for us.

2011 -10
2010 17
2009 -3
2008 4
2007 3
2006 -8
2005 7
2004 11
2003 -3
2002 0
2001 7

Our D looks bad our O-line looks bad, but I think we'd be surpised how much better they'd look with 2 additional posessions for the offense and 2 less for the defense each game. They have to get this turnover issue corrected or they are toast. They won a game last week against the Colts where they lost the turnover battle 3-1. Teams that lose the turnover battle by -2 or more lose 98% of the time. This can't continue.
They probably are toast on the turnovers issue...but I see 6 positives and 1 even to 4 negatives.

No, it cant' continue on a regular basis...but you make this post like this happens on a regular basis. It doesn't. Things need fixed. Maybe I'm a homer in thinking that they will be fixed, but history hasn't exactly proven me wrong, ya know?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
They probably are toast on the turnovers issue...but I see 6 positives and 1 even to 4 negatives.

No, it cant' continue on a regular basis...but you make this post like this happens on a regular basis. It doesn't. Things need fixed. Maybe I'm a homer in thinking that they will be fixed, but history hasn't exactly proven me wrong, ya know?
I don't think you got my point. My point was in years where we are good with turnover margin we are good. Of the 6 positive years, we've made it to at least the AFC Championship game in 5 of those seasons. In the years we've been negative we haven't made the playoffs at all. What I meant is they need to turn this around quickly, for this season.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
I don't think you got my point. My point was in years where we are good with turnover margin we are good. Of the 6 positive years, we've made it to at least the AFC Championship game in 5 of those seasons. In the years we've been negative we haven't made the playoffs at all. What I meant is they need to turn this around quickly, for this season.
Ok, but that's just stating the obvious. Of course the Steelers are going to do better in years where they have a greater TO ratio.

And of course if they want to turn the season around, and to do that they need to turn TO ratio around. That's just common sense though. What point are you trying to make?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 10-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

The turnover ratio is down because we aren't getting to the quarterback. We have had VERY little pressure in 4 games. I have no idea what's going on with our front 7.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Ok, but that's just stating the obvious. Of course the Steelers are going to do better in years where they have a greater TO ratio.

And of course if they want to turn the season around, and to do that they need to turn TO ratio around. That's just common sense though. What point are you trying to make?
Whatever. Guess it's too obvious, since by your statement you didn't even get my original point as you thought I was saying the Steelers were terrible with turnovers for the last 10 years?

The point I'm making is that everyone is complaining about line play on both sides of the ball, but if our D forced a turnover today and set up the O with a short field once or twice we may be singing a different tune. This D has always been opportunistic, but forcing 1 turnover in 4 games isn't going to cut it. They used to give up the short stuff and dare teams to try to put together a 12 play drive without making a mistake. And it used to work, because someone would eventually make a play, but not this year so far.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Whatever. Guess it's too obvious, since by your statement you didn't even get my original point as you thought I was saying the Steelers were terrible with turnovers for the last 10 years?

The point I'm making is that everyone is complaining about line play on both sides of the ball, but if our D forced a turnover today and set up the O with a short field once or twice we may be singing a different tune. This D has always been opportunistic, but forcing 1 turnover in 4 games isn't going to cut it. They used to give up the short stuff and dare teams to try to put together a 12 play drive without making a mistake. And it used to work, because someone would eventually make a play, but not this year so far.
475lb Vince Wilfork has twice as many take-aways as our entire defense. Kyle Arrington, a DB for New England, has 3 take-aways. And both of these guys play for the 32nd ranked defense in the league.

What has happened to our D?
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:

No, I get your point, and it wasn't that I thought you meant they were terrible with turnoveors. ...they're better when they have more TO's. What's the mystery in that?

The point is, the D shouldn't HAVE to always force TO's to win games. Yes, it helps (duh...obvious), but you have to have a working offense to have it make any difference at all.

Right now, the whole team is in (somewhat) disarray. Do you REALLY think a TO would have won this game? Do you even think with a TO the Steelers deserved to win this game?

Why are you looking for the D to bail out the offense (again)?

Old 10-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
I believe we make mistakes because we aren't a good team. Our opponents put pressure which causes mistakes. We haven't put as much pressure on our opponents to encourage mistakes. Turnovers are often misdiagnosed as a cause rather than a result. I believe sometimes the are just a result of getting your ass kicked rather than the cause of getting your ass kicked. Sometimes.

I recall many of turnovers we've given have come as a result of getting man-handled, not necessarily and isolated mistake.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
Wallabeast17
Starter

Member Number: 18370

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
The turnover ratio is down because we aren't getting to the quarterback. We have had VERY little pressure in 4 games. I have no idea what's going on with our front 7.
Either does the coaching staff apperaently