Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
Drizztbob
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4294
My Mood: Pensive
Default Look out blocking O-Line...but hope??

Yes, this is not a surprise, the O-line is terrible. With 3rd and fourth stringers, what do you expect? With no money in the cap to bring on any help, get ready to see some practice squad guys out there fighting for a meal ticket.

Yes, our defense isn't feared like they once were.

Yes, having the leagues lead rusher last year run down our throats (granted, his first full game after a hammy injury) was not pretty.

Yes, Ben takes too many risks with the football.

Yes, BA is the worst OC in football besides Cam.

But, yes I think we still have a team capable of playing for their lives this season. We had some bright spots in yesterdays game, (besides Houston's penalties that truthfully kept us in it) that if focused on, can build upon. A couple of good defensive stands, some smart running by our utility guys and backups, quick hitch passes to the speed guys for good yardage, and some solid special teams promise shown.

There is too much talent on this football team to write them off. So even though, I knew before this game started that we were not going to be able to match up to Houston, I think as the season progresses, this team is going to do what they do best and find a way to win. Which basically means focusing on their strengths to hide their deficiencies, which granted seem pretty bad right now but not insurmountable...

Drizztbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,051 Times in 2,140 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Look out blocking O-Line...but hope??

In my honest opinion, Give Ben some good lineman, and we'll win alot of games.

My Observation: On a huge play to Mike Wallace earlier in the game (Big Completion, lots of yards), the line blocked well, giving Ben a full 3 seconds. On another big play, Ben scrambles around avoiding a sack and hits Ward for a first down. Ben had less than 2 seconds to throw, was forced to evade, and made a big play. This is just another example of Ben's abilities to make things happen. Mendenhall scored a touchdown on a outside run. This is significant to me, because it seems that every time Mendy gets an outside run, something big happens. But Arians always runs him up the middle. Same thing with Parker just before his departure. On a fourth and seven play that needed to be converted, Ben was given UNDER 1.5 seconds to throw the ball...Ben was given a good 3.5 seconds to throw in the endzone on our last offensive drive and once he got rid of it, he was immediately hit, and injured. This pretty much means we're getting 3.5 seconds for Ben to pass at the maximum, and that's whenever our lineman decide to give it their all.

We need to coach these lineman on playing hard EVERY down, and not just whenever they want. I think at this point, Ben deserves to punch every one of these bums in the face. Hell, he'll end up having a concussion before long, and if that happens, he can effectively blame the end of his career on them. Something needs to happen...
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i know our line is the worst in the NFL but i was very surprised to see Pouncey and Gilbert play so bad yesterday
Old 10-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

With this O-Line, I think there's really only one answer.

Ben and the rest of the offense need to SPRINT out there and throw the ball while the defense is still walking onto the field. Screw etiquette.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

The truth is that when we went to the no huddle we actually did well. And with this oline why on earth would Ben ever line up under center. ALL NO HUDDLE FROM NOW ON!!! GO STEELERS!
austinfrench76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

My posts about his suck ass line are well known 'round these parts....but some people hre still made excuses for 'em...can you see what years of neglect get you? My Theory, I think Cowher had a lot of influence of Steeler drafts and Colbert didn't like it to much...when Cowher left he knew Tomlin was new to this so he pretty much makes Tomlin see things his way.......Faneca, Marvel Smith, Kendall Simmons, Jeff hartings...all under Cowher.....He recognized that it all starts in the trenches
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote