Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #11
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915
Default Re: Having Serious Doubts About Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
The reason why Cowher was "lifeless" in 2006 was because he had run his time and his guys tuned him out, especially Big Ben. No coach is immune to it.
Let's not forget that his wife was very ill also.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #12
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
By the way, who the f*** are the team captains? I don't see anybody firing up the players.

I'm starting to believe it's this guy and we're heading straight for an uncharted desert isle.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
I'm starting to believe that the good results the Steelers have had since 2007 have very little to do with Tomlin and much more to do with the legacy Cowher left.
Yeah, it's that easy. As long as you have the talent on the roster, any schmuck can win as a NFL head coach. Just ask the Chargers.

If it were that easy, these guys wouldn't make seven figures.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #14
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446

I love Tomlin's response to every loss. "we got to get better" but Every week is the same problem and this has been the case for 2 yrs, I guess the coaching staff will ignore the offensive line woes and hope that some film and a couple days of padless practice will fix the issue. I listened to alot say if Ben doesn't hold on to the ball and gets it out quickly then we'll be fine but Ben doesn't have 2 seconds to throw the ball since every passing down is a jailbreak.Replace someone please this has gone on long enough
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #15
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

I never listen to Tomlin's press conferences anymore, but I'm guessing this last one contained the same amount of jargon that we're typical of hearing from Tomlin.

Stuff like:

"We acknowledge that we need to get better"

...but will do nothing to actually accomplish that.

"We simply weren't prepared"

Oh, no shit! Hey, here's an idea coach. Maybe you should start doing your job and MAKE SURE they're prepared. A coach's #1 job is to make sure his team is ready to play on game day. If they were prepared, then just own up and tell people that they f***ing suck.

"We're about to unleash hell..."

...on our loving fanbase.

"Ben needs to get rid of the ball faster"

...so right now were working on plays in which he throws it through Pouncey's legs immediately after he's handed the ball under center.

Some heads are going to roll

...so we'll cut some guy on the practice squad who never had a snowball's chance in hell of seeing game time.

Seriously, Tomlin is overmatched and always has been. His first season fared pretty well because the Steelers had the easiest schedule that year and everyone knew it. Yes, his team won a Super Bowl, but the O-Line play was still shit, the running game was nonexistent at times... I credit Ben and the defense (thus, LeBeau) more for that win than Tomlin. And since then? The team collapsed in 2009, we made it to a Super Bowl in 2010 but lost (and nearly choked in two playoff games) and we might be looking at a losing season now. And all of that can be pinned on Tomlin's (and I guess the FO's) flat-out refusal to fix the O-Line issues that have plagued the team for years.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #16
ggoldman
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14758

Its not like they lost to the NFL's worst teams (like in 2009). They have lost ON THE ROAD to two probable playoff teams, who were both favored to win
ggoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #17
Third Rail
Team Captain

True... but they got MASSACRED by one of them and would have pretty much been leveled by the other one if not for penalties.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #18
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725

I am going to give Tomlin a slight pass on this one. He isn't the one that signs the guys that play on this team. Sure, he has some input, but it is not his final say. They have a salary cap to be within.

Does the line suck? Yeah. Many of you forget though that the team has brought in players to play on the line. Pretty much all but one have not panned out. That is not Tomlin's fault.

I believe too that Arians is still here because Ben cried for him to stay. That may not be the case completely but Ben was pretty vocal about Bruce staying at the end of 2009 when Tomlin was public about having to make a decision after Art voiced his disapproval. Upset starting QB or an OC that just may wake-up? I would give the OC another shot instead of shitting all over my starting QB too, as much as I have hated Bruce. And they did make the SB last year, so no change on the OC side again.

Soooooooo....you can only work with what you've got.
lipps83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #19
Third Rail
Team Captain

I don't doubt that Ben pleaded with the FO and Tomlin for them to keep Arians. But they shouldn't have listened. If Ben didn't like it, tough shit. It's their call, not his.

Something tells me Ben would have gotten over it if, he was looking at a 35-40 TD season capped off with a Lombardi at the end of 2010.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #20
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

"We're far from perfect"