Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #61
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Default Re: Having Serious Doubts About Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
how bout-

WE NEED A FIREY COACH WHO WEARS HIS EMOTION ON THIS SLEEVE AND SHOWERS SPITTLE TO LIGHT A FIRE UNDER HIS PLAYERS ASS LIKE TODD HALEY!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...itter_features

atleast todd never has that blank, deer in the headlights, look.
No way do I want another Todd Haley.... guy's a douche. I still would like to see Tomlin get into them a little right now for the way they're playing. I don't want him screaming at them all the time. It would just cause the team to tune him out after too much of it and lose them completely.

Like I said, I think it would carry more weight coming from a guy who doesn't normally do that like Tomlin. That works to his advantage when he does rip them. Sort of how curse words carry more weight coming from a person who rarely uses them.

The current approach isn't doing the job of getting them fired up apparently.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #62
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
No way do I want another Todd Haley.... guy's a douche. I still would like to see Tomlin get into them a little right now for the way they're playing. I don't want him screaming at them all the time. It would just cause the team to tune him out after too much of it and lose them completely.

Like I said, I think it would carry more weight coming from a guy who doesn't normally do that like Tomlin. That works to his advantage when he does rip them. Sort of how curse words carry more weight coming from a person who rarely uses them.

The current approach isn't doing the job of getting them fired up apparently.
all good and valid points, but its nearly impossible to fire up subpar talent to play above their heads on a week in week out basis. not even tomlin could see j. scott looking like such a flop and the OL losing its veteran leader in colon.

i think he made a good move bringing back starks and telling him they need his experience and leadership. i hope it works.

with scott, essex, kemoestu, pouncey, foster, legursky, gilbert, who the hell was leading that unit.

kemoeatu would be the veteran but he's probably stashed away in a corner snacking on a box of LEGO's.

im hoping james injury will galvanize the defensive unit, bring focus, and bring them even closer together. the entire unit got punched in the eye by the ravens in week one.

james got head butted in the eye and still came back. sometimes actions are louder than words. i hope im right.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #63
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
all good and valid points, but its nearly impossible to fire up subpar talent to play above their heads on a week in week out basis. not even tomlin could see j. scott looking like such a flop and the OL losing its veteran leader in colon.

i think he made a good move bringing back starks and telling him they need his experience and leadership. i hope it works.

with scott, essex, kemoestu, pouncey, foster, legursky, gilbert, who the hell was leading that unit.

kemoeatu would be the veteran but he's probably stashed away in a corner snacking on a box of LEGO's.

im hoping james injury will galvanize the defensive unit, bring focus, and bring them even closer together. the entire unit got punched in the eye by the ravens in week one.

james got head butted in the eye and still came back. sometimes actions are louder than words. i hope im right.
I didn't necessarily mean the O-line, just the team in general. There's no reason why he couldn't get into some of the underperforming vets' asses (I'm looking at you Woodley, Timmons, Ward, Ben, Farrior!). It'll also send a message to the younger guys that half-assed effort and subpar play won't be tolerated, no matter who you are. A "teaching moment", if you will.

I agree the O-line is nearly hopeless. I say "nearly" because maybe now there's some hope with Starks coming back, but he's only coming off the bench according to reports, so I'm not sure how much better he'll actually make them.

Here's to Max getting in shape and stealing his old job back from J. Scott!

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #64
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
I didn't necessarily mean the O-line, just the team in general. There's no reason why he couldn't get into some of the underperforming vets' asses (I'm looking at you Woodley, Timmons, Ward, Ben, Farrior!). It'll also send a message to the younger guys that half-assed effort and subpar play won't be tolerated, no matter who you are. A "teaching moment", if you will.

I agree the O-line is nearly hopeless. I say "nearly" because maybe now there's some hope with Starks coming back, but he's only coming off the bench according to reports, so I'm not sure how much better he'll actually make them.

Here's to Max getting in shape and stealing his old job back from J. Scott!
I'm going to differ with you here. I don't want him yelling at the boys at all. Could they be playing better? Yes and no. I'm not sure the O-line can do any better, so what good would it do to chew them out in public?

What I would love to hear about via rumors passed along to Bouchette and Brown is a serious chewing-out of the offensive coordinator. If these guys are executing bad plays and bad schemes to perfection, they are still bad plays, maybe doubly so.

Accountability starts at the top. The top in this case is Tomlin, Colbert, Arians and Lebeau. If those guys are perennially untouchable, nothing matters.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #65
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I'm going to differ with you here. I don't want him yelling at the boys at all. Could they be playing better? Yes and no. I'm not sure the O-line can do any better, so what good would it do to chew them out in public?

What I would love to hear about via rumors passed along to Bouchette and Brown is a serious chewing-out of the offensive coordinator. If these guys are executing bad plays and bad schemes to perfection, they are still bad plays, maybe doubly so.

Accountability starts at the top. The top in this case is Tomlin, Colbert, Arians and Lebeau. If those guys are perennially untouchable, nothing matters.
Once again, Ric, I said I didn't mean the O-line. I meant the veterans that are underperforming. I also didn't say it HAD to be in public. Do it in the locker room, the parking lot, Tomlin's office, hell.... Archie Bunker's living room for all I care!

Just get the message across to them that this is not Steeler quality football and that more effort and focus needs to be shown on the field or changes will be made. Of course, he will have to actually back that up with actions if they don't respond and I think he should.

I also agree with chewing out Arians, LeBeau and any other coaches under-preparing their respective units.... especially Arians.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #66
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

i agree that tomlin needs to chew the ass of arians... in private. ward is barely biting his tongue to the media when he points out he has only been targeted 12 times in the past 3 games.

heath miller, probably less.

arians needs to be sternly told to quit dicking around with this outdated patriot smurf ball, quit listening to the likes of fakedanrooney and other fans who think they know what it takes to win, and then feed the ball to the proven money makers.

also worthy to note that starks took half the snaps with the first teamers in todays practice.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #67
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
also worthy to note that starks took half the snaps with the first teamers in todays practice.
Now that's what I like to hear! At least they're giving him a chance to possibly get his job back. Enough of the Jonathan Scott experiment. Let him back-up Starks if he proves himself ready for the task.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #68
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

what kills me is mike martz gets beat down on a weekly basis for being pass happy. Arians has been doing the same thing all year. I do think if we continue to sputter the rest of the year arians should be fired. And if not if we miss the playoffs next year you have to consider firing arians AND TOMLIN.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #69
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

I get tired of the "establishment" making accusations of being a "fair-weather fan" if someone questions the current state of the team. I have been a die-hard fan for 35 years & always will be. It's my right as a fan to offer my opinions of where the team stands and why....especially on a talk forum....what the hell else are you gonna talk about??!?!!?!

I, for one, have questioned Tomlin as a coach since his hollow week-to-week threats in 2009. It rang as weak and the follow-through was weaker. I don't know who Tomlin is...he sounds rehearsed and cliche everytime he speaks. I've grown tired of his press conferences and interviews. And I think his players-coach approach will wear itself out - they almost always do.

Did we get to a couple of SBs with him? Yeah, but I don't give him much of the credit for that, other than his willingness to step out of LeBeau's way and allow him to stick to what was working. Where is Tomln's stamp on this team? Offense? No. Defense? No. Personnel? Maybe. Gameplanning? Again, I think most of that is left up to the OC & DC. I just can't put a finger on what he does for the team other than appeal to the players as just "one of the boys."
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #70
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
I get tired of the "establishment" making accusations of being a "fair-weather fan" if someone questions the current state of the team. I have been a die-hard fan for 35 years & always will be. It's my right as a fan to offer my opinions of where the team stands and why....especially on a talk forum....what the hell else are you gonna talk about??!?!!?!

I, for one, have questioned Tomlin as a coach since his hollow week-to-week threats in 2009. It rang as weak and the follow-through was weaker. I don't know who Tomlin is...he sounds rehearsed and cliche everytime he speaks. I've grown tired of his press conferences and interviews. And I think his players-coach approach will wear itself out - they almost always do.

Did we get to a couple of SBs with him? Yeah, but I don't give him much of the credit for that, other than his willingness to step out of LeBeau's way and allow him to stick to what was working. Where is Tomln's stamp on this team? Offense? No. Defense? No. Personnel? Maybe. Gameplanning? Again, I think most of that is left up to the OC & DC. I just can't put a finger on what he does for the team other than appeal to the players as just "one of the boys."
I have to disagree with you on this. Coaching does make one hell of a difference. Look at the downward spiral the chargers have taken since schottenheimer got fired. I do tihnk tomlin is a hell of a coach and easily a top 3 coach in this league.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote