Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
Steeldude
Living Legend

Default Roethlisberger more vocal?

does anyone else think BR needs to be more vocal during the game? manning, young, brady, marino etc... all bark at their O-line when they aren't performing. BR needs to send a message. he is the QB so take command. going around saying "my bad" or "it's all good" doesn't cut it. IMO, when watching the patriots you can see a sense of urgency with their offensive linemen. when they screw up or are playing poorly they know they are going to get a earful from brady. i remember seeing many other great QBs do this too. this is not to say the steelers' linemen don't care, but to me it just doesn't look/feel the same.

someone needs to take command, fire these guys up and get them on track. as of now they look like a bunch undisciplined high school football players
Old 10-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Default Re: Roethlisberger more vocal?

I could be wrong but I feel he doesn't do that because of his off the field issues and the perception that he's not well liked by his teammates. Even though I think a lot of that friction has been smoothed over, I think Ben still doesn't want to bruise any egos or start the grumblings again by getting into guys' asses right now.

I wish Ben could be that guy, but I think his past has caught up to him in that regard. I think the head coach should be the one truly cracking skulls on the sidelines and getting on this team. He hasn't done it yet either as far as I can see.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,148 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
I could be wrong but I feel he doesn't do that because of his off the field issues and the perception that he's not well liked by his teammates. Even though I think a lot of that friction has been smoothed over, I think Ben still doesn't want to bruise any egos or start the grumblings again by getting into guys' asses right now.

I wish Ben could be that guy, but I think his past has caught up to him in that regard. I think the head coach should be the one truly cracking skulls on the sidelines and getting on this team. He hasn't done it yet either as far as I can see.
Good post. I agree with this. Ben has never done this. If anything, he is the type of QB who puts part of the blame on himself and goes to the sidelines and trusts in his team to get it done the next drive, play, etc. This season though, you can just tell the o-line is finally getting into his head. If I hear him say "I'm proud of these guys..blahblah" after this game then we all know he's talking straight out of his ass.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Good post. I agree with this. Ben has never done this. If anything, he is the type of QB who puts part of the blame on himself and goes to the sidelines and trusts in his team to get it done the next drive, play, etc. This season though, you can just tell the o-line is finally getting into his head. If I hear him say "I'm proud of these guys..blahblah" after this game then we all know he's talking straight out of his ass.
Yeah, it wouldn't sound very genuine coming from a guy on crutches and in a walking boot anyway.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,095 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
does anyone else think BR needs to be more vocal during the game? manning, young, brady, marino etc... all bark at their O-line when they aren't performing. BR needs to send a message. he is the QB so take command. going around saying "my bad" or "it's all good" doesn't cut it. IMO, when watching the patriots you can see a sense of urgency with their offensive linemen. when they screw up or are playing poorly they know they are going to get a earful from brady. i remember seeing many other great QBs do this too. this is not to say the steelers' linemen don't care, but to me it just doesn't look/feel the same.

someone needs to take command, fire these guys up and get them on track. as of now they look like a bunch undisciplined high school football players
I'm not going to comment on Young and Marino because that's ancient history.

What I DO find interesting is your reference to Brady and Manning and the way they yell and scream and here's why:

Both Brady and Mannig are "systems" guys and when their systems work well, they work well.
But when their systems break down, both of them are like fish out of water.
Put pressure on either Manning or Brady and they tend to panic or rush things and they become as mediocre as the word can mean.
So for them, when things go bad, they tend to want everything "right" again as soon as possible and thus the yelling and screaming.

Ben, on the other hand, doesn't panic.
I'm sure he'd rather have the O-line play better or have all jhis receivers run perfect routes but if that doesn't happen, he tends to shrug it off and he works with what he has.

Those differences between Ben's personality and Brady/Manning's personality is why he doesn't yell and scream and get in everyone's faces.
I'm sure there's just as much urgency in Ben as in the other guys but Ben doesn't seem to let that urgency dictate his behavior.

I think Ben realizes that it takes time for players to jell and for receivers to "get it" when it comes to routes and reads, just as it took him a while to learn the same things. I honestly don't think that barking at the O-line or the skill players is going to solve anything and I think Ben doesn't either. Maybe a different QB would do it differently but this is Ben's way and I'm fine with that.

Over the years I've worked in a variety of jobs for a variety of bosses (both "screamers" and "talkers") and I always hated the "screamers" because when you boil it down, if something needs fixing, screaming about it isn't going to make that point clearer or fix it sooner. Problems need solutions and solutions come from analyzing what needs to be done and implementing a plan to do it.
The part that can't be rushed is the way in which people get their heads around things -- some take longer than others and that's just the way it is and all the screaming in the world isn't going to change that.
The "talkers" seem to realize this and are willing to allow for some imperfection while the problems are addressed and in my experience that's usually been the method that yields the best results in the long term because "talkers" tend not to panic and recognize that Rome wasn't built in a day.

Ben has had to deal with a revolving door of O-linemen, a near similar situation at running back, his #1 receiver (Santonio) who took a couple of years to get in synch with was traded, his "go to guy" (Hines) has obviously lost a step and there are three or four rookies that are still learning football on an NFL level - much less on a detailed "Steelers" level and it has taken a full season just to get in synch with one of them (Wallace).

So who do you think he should start yelling at first?
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

It shouldnt just be the QB screaming out at everyone. What about the coach's and team mates. So far we havent seen any one on team do this. They look like they have that look on all their faces like Oh well, just crusin by!
I hear Joey Porter lookin for work.........

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
It shouldnt just be the QB screaming out at everyone. What about the coach's and team mates. So far we havent seen any one on team do this. They look like they have that look on all their faces like Oh well, just crusin by!
I hear Joey Porter lookin for work.........
I agree with you, it shouldn't be Ben or just Ben, players that are playing well and coaches have to step up and light a fire in this team with some emotion. The o line cant be fixed this season, but if you look at the 3rd quarter yesterday, it appears that the team can still play well with some intensity/urgency added. Unfortunately they only did that for two series' and then played dead and horrible again.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw

I don't know if it would help- I think his yelling at them wouldn't help anything because they are already playing the best they can- they just aren't very good. What good would it do to yell at them when they are already doing their best? They aren't going to get better, they need to be replaced- thats not Ben's problem (well it is because he keeps getting hit), but the FO needs to give him a chance and some new blockers in front of him.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

Ben could scream at them, but I think he knows how futile it would be. Because these O-Line guys don't just get beat by DEs and LBs, they literally just GIVE UP. There was one sack yesterday (and I think several in the Colts game) where one of the defensive guys ran past Gilbert and he literally just stood there and watched Ben get smashed. He didn't even MOVE and attempt to at least slow the guy down. Just horrid, horrid play. How do you motivate a guy who appears to not even give a shit about his ONLY responsibility?
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post

very good point. without respect he can't lead. he is going to have to suck it up and start being a vocal leader if he can. saying things like "it's my fault" when it clearly isn't shows he isn't a true leader. i don't say that to mean he should throw people under a bus, but he needs to step up and get people in line. when was the last time this team had a leader? IMO, maddox wasn't too bad at leading. his problem was he didn't have the other necessary qualities to go along with leadership. personally i think he was made a scape goat for the steelers other problems. at least he helped get rid of kordell for good for that i salute him

tomlin doesn't strike me as the disciplinarian type. speaking of discipline, what is with all of the bonehead plays, taunting and grandstanding by players? is there no one who can control these young players? the team has no leadership, IMO.