Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 272
Member Number: 15574
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 16 Quarters of Football.....

Just some numbers to ponder at the quarter pole mark.

- And the Pittsburgh Steelers defense has 1 turnover to show for it. And that's starting to look like it was a fluke. A lucky forced fumble against Curtis Painter is all that seperates the Steelers from a goose egg in this dept.

-And the secondary has 0 interceptions and probably not many more PDs. The Bills had 4 ints. against Tom Brady in last week's game alone. When is the last team we've seen a Steelers corner make a play like Ladarius Webb made in the Ravens game last night? Think we have to go all the way back to '06 when Deshea picked off Brady for a pick 6, when we smashed the Pats that year. That's a pretty damn long time.

- And the defense has a grand total of 7 sacks. They had 5 against Seatlle. That's pretty pathetic, wouldn't you say? They are getting absolutely no pressure on QBsat all.

- And Lamar Woodley has become the latest milk carton victim. What is this guy in the witness protection program? 1 meaningless sack at the end of the Ravens game, and a half sack against Seattle. Not exactly what I would call earning your money.

- And ditto for Lawrence Timmons, who must be wearing camoflauge, because it's hard to find him on the field, and he's making 0 impact.

- And Ben Roethlisberger has 5 ints., 4 lost fumbles and has been sacked 14 times already for a total of 100 yds. loss. That's a full football field of negative yards against the QB, and that doesn't include int. return yds.

- And Rashard Mendenhall has just over 170 yds. rushing. That amounts to a little over 10 yds. a quarter. Whoa!!

- And the Steelers have scored all of 64 points in 4 games. That includes 1 defensive td, a result of the fluky turnover mentioned in the above paragraph. The Packers scored 49 in their on Sunday alone. This offense looks like it's being operated by a band of blind old men.

- And there has not been one shining moment to speak of in regards to being able to feel good about where this team is right now. 16 quarters of football, and 16 quarters of futility for this team. Even, in their shutout of Seattle, it was not impressive and they still struggled offensively, in spite of the score.


- And the Steelers O-line and D-line have been dominated in 3 of 4 games. We can't run or pass black. And teams are now ripping rushing yards off by the chunk against this team. Pretty damn scary if you ask me.


- And so 16 quarters of football for the Pittsburgh Steelers, reveals numbers that do not leave one with a good feeling about the remaining 48 quarters of football that remain in this season.




Rockon

Last edited by Rockonsteel; 10-03-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Rockonsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Third Rail
Team Captain
 
Third Rail's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 761
Member Number: 16177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 16 Quarters of Football.....

But... we don't measure football by the numbers. We measure it in wins and losses.

Oh, that's right. Shit.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
Danny136200
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 245
Member Number: 17651
Thanks: 33
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: 16 Quarters of Football.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockonsteel View Post
Just some numbers to ponder at the quarter pole mark.

- And the Pittsburgh Steelers defense has 1 turnover to show for it. And that's starting to look like it was a fluke. A lucky forced fumble against Curtis Painter is all that seperates the Steelers from a goose egg in this dept.

-And the secondary has 0 interceptions and probably not many more PDs. The Bills had 4 ints. against Tom Brady in last week's game alone. When is the last team we've seen a Steelers corner make a play like Ladarius Webb made in the Ravens game last night? Think we have to go all the way back to '06 when Deshea picked off Brady for a pick 6, when we smashed the Pats that year. That's a pretty damn long time.

- And the defense has a grand total of 7 sacks. They had 5 against Seatlle. That's pretty pathetic, wouldn't you say? They are getting absolutely no pressure on QBsat all.

- And Lamar Woodley has become the latest milk carton victim. What is this guy in the witness protection program? 1 meaningless sack at the end of the Ravens game, and a half sack against Seattle. Not exactly what I would call earning your money.

- And ditto for Lawrence Timmons, who must be wearing camoflauge, because it's hard to find him on the field, and he's making 0 impact.

- And Ben Roethlisberger has 5 ints., 3 lost fumbles and has been sacked 14 times already for a total of 100 yds. loss. That's a full football field of negative yards against the QB, and that doesn't include int. return yds.

- And Rashard Mendenhall has just over 170 yds. rushing. That amounts to a little over 10 yds. a quarter. Whoa!!

- And the Steelers have scored all of 64 points in 4 games. That includes 1 defensive td, a result of the fluky turnover mentioned in the above paragraph. The Packers scored 49 in their on Sunday alone. This offense looks like it's being operated by a band of blind old men.

- And there has not been one shining moment to speak of in regards to being able to feel good about where this team is right now. 16 quarters of football, and 16 quarters of futility for this team. Even, in their shutout of Seattle, it was not impressive and they still struggled offensively, in spite of the score.


- And the Steelers O-line and D-line have been dominated in 3 of 4 games. We can't run or pass black. And teams are now ripping rushing yards off by the chunk against this team. Pretty damn scary if you ask me.


- And so 16 quarters of football for the Pittsburgh Steelers, reveals numbers that do not leave one with a good feeling about the remaining 48 quarters of football that remain in this season.




Rockon
Cant argue with numbers, but what makes you say the sack fumble james harrison had was a fluke? it was a great(and only good he has had during the first quarter of the season) play, forced fumbles are not flukes.

And it seems that we are only rushing four on Defense right now, most likely to protect our secondary, which, i know people are going to kill for this, has been pretty solid. The problem with the D is that the line is losing containment when offenses rush the football. The Dline is getting pushed around there, and causing problems for the LBs and secondary. It all starts upfront, and the Dline is not really doing their jobs right now. I still see, sometimes, that Casey Hampton is still getting chopped-block, which is BS, but is very effective to running against the Steelers.

The offensive line has to be one of the worst in the NFL. The tackles are just getting pushed around, spun around, and straight up embarrassed this early in the season.
Pouncey looks like he will be having a sophomore slump this year, which I hope is not the case and he can turn it around.

The bright light, to me, is the play of the Wrs and our secondary, especially Ike and Troy, which they have been phenomenal. The Wrs have been really good, and Mike Wallace is awesome; he just needs to stop showboating (dont be a Desean Jackson, please).

Anywho, I really liked your post, some good stuff, and some good numbers, thank you, kind sir.
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 272
Member Number: 15574
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 16 Quarters of Football.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny136200 View Post
Cant argue with numbers, but what makes you say the sack fumble james harrison had was a fluke? it was a great(and only good he has had during the first quarter of the season) play, forced fumbles are not flukes.

And it seems that we are only rushing four on Defense right now, most likely to protect our secondary, which, i know people are going to kill for this, has been pretty solid. The problem with the D is that the line is losing containment when offenses rush the football. The Dline is getting pushed around there, and causing problems for the LBs and secondary. It all starts upfront, and the Dline is not really doing their jobs right now. I still see, sometimes, that Casey Hampton is still getting chopped-block, which is BS, but is very effective to running against the Steelers.

The offensive line has to be one of the worst in the NFL. The tackles are just getting pushed around, spun around, and straight up embarrassed this early in the season.
Pouncey looks like he will be having a sophomore slump this year, which I hope is not the case and he can turn it around.

The bright light, to me, is the play of the Wrs and our secondary, especially Ike and Troy, which they have been phenomenal. The Wrs have been really good, and Mike Wallace is awesome; he just needs to stop showboating (dont be a Desean Jackson, please).

Anywho, I really liked your post, some good stuff, and some good numbers, thank you, kind sir.
Appreciate the compliment.

Kinda made the "fluke" comment somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I said that because as of right now, it's the exception not the rule. It was a great play by Harrison, his signature play in fact, but it's a stand alone occurrence at this point. If you and I fought 16 times, and I only won once, would you not look at that 1 victory as a fluke?

I agree the D-line are getting moved like they're on ice. Is this a football line or a hockey line? I'm starting o have trouble distinguishing. And it seems like the O-line is just not physically strong to handle the men that they are required to block to do their job successfully.

The secondary has not been the disaster we've seen them be in recent past. It is however, tempered enthusiasm when you consider teams haven't really attacked the secondary as they've been finding it surprising easy to move he ball on the ground against the Steelers defense.

And yeah the youngsters are shining at WR. Too bad BA doesn't know how to use them properly in this offense.

But, yeah these numbers are quite disturbing.


Rockon
Rockonsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,559
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,616
Thanked 6,775 Times in 2,938 Posts
Default Re: 16 Quarters of Football.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny136200 View Post
Cant argue with numbers, but what makes you say the sack fumble james harrison had was a fluke? it was a great(and only good he has had during the first quarter of the season) play, forced fumbles are not flukes.

.
yep. thats my issue with this post.

james has more forced fumbles than anyone in the nfl in the last 5 years.

troy has more return td's than anyone on our defense.

both are defensive players of the year.

what exactly is it that makes their fumble and td last week a fluke?
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #6
Steeldude
Living Legend
 
Steeldude's Avatar
Default Re: 16 Quarters of Football.....

Quote:
And Lamar Woodley has become the latest milk carton victim. What is this guy in the witness protection program? 1 meaningless sack at the end of the Ravens game, and a half sack against Seattle. Not exactly what I would call earning your money.
i don't really care about sacks as much i do with his lack of hustle and containment. it's not like he is missing this year. the guy is just an average LB in a LB friendly system.
__________________
Kordell Stewart + Starting QB Spot = 0
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Stallion
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Durango, CO
Posts: 9
Member Number: 18891
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: 16 Quarters of Football.....

Taking a football from Pretty Painter is like taking candy from a baby.
Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 272
Member Number: 15574
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 16 Quarters of Football.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
yep. thats my issue with this post.

james has more forced fumbles than anyone in the nfl in the last 5 years.

troy has more return td's than anyone on our defense.

both are defensive players of the year.

what exactly is it that makes their fumble and td last week a fluke?
Like I said, it said more to illustrate the lack of any other turnover opportunities created by the defense to this point. They have not come close to doing that at any other time this year, thus the blind squirrel effect. For the old(no pun intended) Steelers defense, a play like that would've been standard operating procedure. In 2011, the way this defense has performed, that play has proven to be an anomaly 4 games into the season. Thus, the reason for the tongue-in-cheek comment. James and Troy have actually been two of few bright spots on this team so far(although neither is playing at their DPOY levels right now). That was more a shot at the D for their overall lack of turnovers/big plays, than a shot at Troy or James.

I'm surprised that's the only thing people got out of this post. There's an awful ot of fat to chew on. Or choke on, depending on your perspective.

Rockon
Rockonsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 272
Member Number: 15574
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 16 Quarters of Football.....

And I didn't even mention in my original post the almost 5 yds per carry they've given up so far this season. And the -10 turnover ratio.

I'm just pointing out the putrid production this team is displaying in just about every aspect of the game. Unfortunately, these numbers are all significant contributing factors as to why this team is performing so poorly.


Rockon
Rockonsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
DanRooney
Head Coach
 
DanRooney's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 1,837
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16248
Thanks: 2
Thanked 136 Times in 94 Posts
Default Re: 16 Quarters of Football.....

Jason Woodley.
__________________
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts