Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528
Default 2-2; The Cup half full thread

Chug, chug, chug - I just downed by Steeler's Kool-Aid.

Hey people. The sky is NOT falling. We've lost to two playoff caliber teams on their home fields.

The Baltimore loss was ugly with all the turnovers and the final score reflected that but I don't think Baltimore is always 35-7 better than us. The only thing that matters is a L on our record and even the ardent Steeler fan would concede a loss was somewhat likely when we play the Ravens in Baltimore. Even if we lost 17-16, it counts just the same.

We beat a team that we should have 24-0 in the Seahawks. That's a sign of a good team - win the ones that you should.

We beat an AFC team on the road in the Colts. That's always a worthy accomplishment despite Manning being out.

And we lost to a surging playoff-caliber team in the Texans on the road. But we limited their offense to only 17 points. I thought we could win this game but I am not surprised that we lost.

Some other positives:

1. We are only 1 game behind the Ravens right now
2. We have games against the Chiefs, Jags, NFC West, Bengals and Browns left on our schedule
3. Baron Batch will play for us next year
4. We have one of the toughest sonabitches as QB in Ben
5. Gay is having a decent year

I am not blind to the things that are wrong on this team. Our defense looks porous at times and our OL plays like shit. But let the coaches coach and see what they come up with. Let them work on this OL, let them work on the DL and let see. They deserve our benefit of doubt as they have several Super Bowls on their resume.

I confess I bitch and moan just like most of you on gameday. But when I step back, take a deep breath and look at the whole - I still find the cup half full. Go Steelers!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,425 Times in 3,549 Posts
Default Re: 2-2; The Cup half full thread

i find the cup half full as well.

at this point we are one game behind in securing home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

i for one, will never toss in the towel untill officially eliminated, and even then, i will still wave it proudly.

shame on me for not being a fair weather fan. i love this team only slightly less in a loss, as i do in victory.

i only wish i can one day achieve the supreme fandom of those who are sour and brave enough to constantly critisize every sign of non-perfection. their unhappiness in embracing reality is commendable.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
Big7BenHOF
Team Captain

Member Number: 5192

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i find the cup half full as well.

at this point we are one game behind in securing home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

i for one, will never toss in the towel untill officially eliminated, and even then, i will still wave it proudly.

shame on me for not being a fair weather fan. i love this team only slightly less in a loss, as i do in victory.

i only wish i can one day achieve the supreme fandom of those who are sour and brave enough to constantly critisize every sign of non-perfection. their unhappiness in embracing reality is commendable.
Couldn't have said it better myself. You can't throw in the towel after only four games have been played. We're in playoff contention until we're absolutely eliminated, and even then you don't throw in the towel, as Tony said. You live and die with this team.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,787 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

good thread, while I don't think playoffs are out of the question, this team has too big of a flaw (o-line) to be a championship squad. of course we even won and made another super bowl appearance with bad o-line, but this year's one is beyond bad.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Regardless every sunday I tune into the game and support my team. Just because I don't think we're going to win it all doesn't mean I'm any less of a fan
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #5
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

I said elsewhere and I stick with it: we could suck horribly and still go 12-4 with our schedule this year. Will it be enough time to fix what ails us? Not if Arians is on the staff and Tomlin unleashes hell again.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:03 AM   #6
queeg
Banned

Member Number: 18784

Steelers need to get line backup...now
queeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by queeg View Post
Steelers need to get line backup...now
Any ideas on how that could happen with the cap troubles they are currently in?
steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

We have a weak schedule, which will certainly help.

On defense, I don't think we'll get back to the level we've had the past few seasons. We'll just have to accept that teams will probably earn some yards running the ball, but I think our pass defense may be a little bit better. I agree with Harrison - there isn't a schematic problem. Guys are just getting beat. I personally don't see that changing.

With that said, even playing less than stellar defense - or more accurately, worse than what we're used to - we still are only giving up 17-20 points a game. For even an average offense, that should be enough to get some Ws. Our defense really isn't bad, IMO; I think we've gotten spoiled by some ridiculous defenses for the past 10 years or so. We're still top 10, just not top 5.

On offense, I think we have room for improvement. I believe we have some quick fixes.
1) Redman over Mendenhall
2) Brown over Ward (at least between the 20s. Ward in the redzone)
3) Advise Ben to take what the defense gives.

One more tough loss may be enough for Tomlin to take some drastic action. But, if we keep doing the same old same old, I don't think we'll make the play-offs even with our weak schedule. We need to make some offensive changes.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful

Considering that it's relatively early in the year, it is definitely half-full. It's best to get these problems out of the way now and yes, they are extremely fortunate all things considered to be 2 and 2.

If they continue to give the ball to Redman like they did in that second half against the Texans, I think they have a shot at a course adjustment.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,053 Times in 1,960 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Ok - I'm gonna try and live in this glass half full world for the next couple weeks. If we go to 4-2 I'll be back to where I was after the @ Colts victory and that was cautiously optimistic.

We HAVE to get a string of victories going with 5 of next 6 against AFC teams.

If they decide to have a protect Ben at all costs mentality - even if that means via penalties then so be it - I will ride the wagon up the bolt of lightning or down in a blaze of glory

Racking up the Ws, one game at a time pre-bye week is more important at this juncture than worrying about supposed post-bye "cake schedule." There is a reason the Bengals QB already has a nickname of "The Red Rifle." Last time I checked, both Cincy and Cleveland are in the same boat we are in - and have actually looked better in some aspects.

We beat the Titans and Jags and then go into Arizona and pull out a win, I'm gonna say we are going to pull at a W against either New England or Baltimore - because if we go into the NE game at 5-2, that means we are probably starting to right the ship . . .

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote