Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-05-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Unhappy Harrison now tops off a long injury list

Already reeling from ugly loss at Houston, Steelers' James Harrison now tops off a long injury list
Wednesday, October 05, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

You know your football team has deep problems when the star quarterback limps around in pain Tuesday wearing what looks like an oversized ski boot to protect his injured left foot -- and that is the good news.

"Thankfully, nothing is broken there," said relieved coach Mike Tomlin. "It is a sprain."

And more good news ... Ben Roethlisberger likely will start at quarterback Sunday for the Steelers against Tennessee despite his sprained left foot.

"It may limit him at the early portions of the week but we anticipate him being able to participate in this football game," Tomlin said.

There was a whole lot of bad after that, and it started with four-time All-Pro linebacker James Harrison. He is scheduled to have surgery today to repair a fractured orbital bone around his right eye socket. He was injured when he was blocked helmet-to-helmet by Houston left tackle Duane Brown in the second quarter of a 17-10 loss Sunday.

Harrison left the game but returned in the fourth quarter. Afterward, he stood in front of his locker and told reporters his eye, which looked fine, was all right and that it was injured when the padding in his helmet was forced into it.

Tomlin said the injury will keep Harrison out for "a number of weeks." His agent, Bill Parise, estimated it as four to six weeks.

"That's typical for a fracture to heal," Parise said. "And they're not going to put him out there until it heals. What I don't understand is how you break an orbital bone with a facemask and helmet. It's a freak situation."

Parise said while he did not get a good look at it, the block seemed to be a usual football play and nothing untoward by Brown, the Houston tackle.

Harrison's injury might have been the worst news for the Steelers, but it was not the end of it. His backup, Jason Worilds, is doubtful for Sunday with a left thigh strain.

That means starting inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons will move to starting right outside linebacker and Larry Foote will take Timmons' spot. Stevenson Sylvester will back up on the inside and maybe even on the outside, where only rookie Chris Carter remains available.

"Obviously, we have some adjustments that need to take place in terms of who is playing where and preparations, now specifically at the outside linebacker position with two linebackers being out," Tomlin said. "Lawrence has practiced there and played there before. Larry Foote is no stranger to the mack linebacker position. We anticipate those guys will play winning football for us."

The bad news, though, just keeps coming.

Starting defensive end Aaron Smith has a midfoot sprain and is "extremely questionable" to play against Tennessee. Halfback Mewelde Moore has a left ankle sprain that might keep him out of the game, and starting halfback Rashard Mendenhall has a right hamstring that will, at the very least, limit him in practice.

Right defensive end Brett Keisel, however, should return to play after missing two games with a sprained knee.

"We anticipate him being back," Tomlin said. "His participation at the early portions of the week is going to guide us in that regard. But, again, based on where he is and based on some of the run tests and stuff that he did the latter part of last week, we feel comfortable that he is going to be able to participate in this game."

If Keisel cannot go, it is possible that the two first-round draft picks at defensive end the past three years, Ziggy Hood and rookie Cameron Heyward, could start Sunday.

The Steelers were set to sign a running back to their practice squad, so they would have someone to act like Tennessee's Chris Johnson in drills against the first-team defense this week.

With Moore likely out, Jonathan Dwyer would dress for only the second time in two seasons. And if Mendenhall's hamstring does not come around, Isaac Redman could make his first start at halfback.

"If Rashard's injury does prevent him from playing, obviously that will mean that Isaac Redman will be the feature runner," Tomlin said. "With both guys, at the very least they are nursing injuries at the early portion of the week, it is obvious that Redman is going to get the bulk of the action and we expect Jonathan Dwyer to ready himself to contribute as well, if the opportunity presents itself."
A little more good news

There was another small measure of good news about the injury report.

Tomlin said he expects guard Doug Legursky (shoulder) and tackle Jonathan Scott (ankle) to return after they each missed one game.

He added cornerback Bryant McFadden to the recuperated list as well after he missed the past three games with a hamstring injury. McFadden has practiced the past two weeks but was inactive Sunday. Tomlin indicated he could dress this Sunday but might not be the starting left cornerback. William Gay has started the past three games there, and Keenan Lewis has entered in the nickel.

"I like what's going on with some of the men," Tomlin said, referring to Gay and Lewis. "We will let [McFadden's] level of participation over the course of the week dictate how we get him back into the mix."
The mindset

Asked what his team's "mindset" was after falling to 2-2, Tomlin said: "I think they are hacked off, and they should be. We haven't performed close enough to what we expect. We've lost games because of it, specifically we lost last week. We look forward to preparing and playing this week in front of our home fans, and, hopefully, righting this thing."

Next

Game: Steelers (2-2) vs. Tennessee Titans, (3-1), Heinz Field.

When: 1 p.m. Sunday.

TV: KDKA.

Favored: Steelers by 5.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11278...#ixzz1Zsswoof6
Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Steel4ever95
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18825
Default Re: Harrison now tops off a long injury list

The injury sucks no doubt about it, I would hate to be the LT lucky enough to block Harrison when he comes back. I'm bummed that Worilds may not play due to an injury, he has some potential and I would like to see what he can do for an extended period of time. Timmons will be fun to watch at OLB though, his speed could give tackles some problems.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Steelers RE Brett Keisel says he will return from his sprained PCL in Week 5 against Tennessee.

https://twitter.com/#!/gerrydulac/st...35958595661824
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,630 Times in 2,399 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Steelers RE Brett Keisel says he will return from his sprained PCL in Week 5 against Tennessee.

https://twitter.com/#!/gerrydulac/st...35958595661824
good news. i think kiesel/hood in the lineup should be effective
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Glad Keisel is back, I would like to see Heyward in there though too. Moore actually played well so that's a loss, especially if Mendy is out. Harrison was one of two players on defense "fired up" and playing well, hopefully it's not the final straw. I hope Worilds plays, I think he has potential, but mainly I am just terrified of having Foote and Farrior in the middle. It was bad enough with Farrior 2 steps behind everybody, with Foote being 3 steps behind everybody on the same play we will not come close to stopping the pass. Going to be a wide open middle.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote