Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
tunes4life
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8219
Default Polamalu Missed Tackles

Preface - I realize Troy had more tackles last week than anyone on defense, and I also realize that if the line and LBs were doing there jobs Troy wouldn't have to make as many tackles as he has had to make -

But, with that said, I've never seen Troy miss so many tackles. Picking the wrong angles, tackling too high, not wrapping up, going for the ball and not the tackle.......

He hasn't been in the right places for INTs this year either. Is this the result of an aging defense? I'm not sure. I understand that he is most likely playing a little bit more carefully, instead of just flying into plays headfirst like we've seen of him in the past. But I'll have to admit it worries me a bit. I don't want to see him hurt but I do want my Pro Bowl Troy back! He just signed a huge contract.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447
Default Re: Polamalu Missed Tackles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunes4life View Post
Preface - I realize Troy had more tackles last week than anyone on defense, and I also realize that if the line and LBs were doing there jobs Troy wouldn't have to make as many tackles as he has had to make -

But, with that said, I've never seen Troy miss so many tackles. Picking the wrong angles, tackling too high, not wrapping up, going for the ball and not the tackle.......

He hasn't been in the right places for INTs this year either. Is this the result of an aging defense? I'm not sure. I understand that he is most likely playing a little bit more carefully, instead of just flying into plays headfirst like we've seen of him in the past. But I'll have to admit it worries me a bit. I don't want to see him hurt but I do want my Pro Bowl Troy back! He just signed a huge contract.
Although Polamalu is one of my fav Steelers, I have never considered him a great tackler and even him admits that it's not his forte. He's an awesome play reader and will INT passes more than anyone else in the team but he'll miss tackles, even easy ones.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

I think it's more a matter of 1) Troy losing half a step. Can't fault him for that. 2) The rest of the defense not helping. The pass rush was what typically allowed Troy to make the splash play. Troy is instinctual. If the QB is given too much time, Troy's advantage is lost.

We have no pass rush...ergo...Troy not making many plays other than tackles. Think of our one takeaway this season. QB pressure (strip sack), Troy in the right place....TD.
SteeleReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,877 Times in 4,503 Posts

troy hasnt lost a step!

people need to go back and re-watch every missed tackle from this season. just about EVERY one is because troy is running faster than a speeding bullet and it is very difficult to change that trajectory and react to a quicker than a blink juke.

the good thing is not everybody can juke like that, and troy usually gets them. the move arian foster put on him in the backfield seals him as an upper eschelon back in this game, with reflexes of a cat. cant blame troy for that. if he had actually SLOWED down he probably makes that tackle.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

No, Troy didn't lose a step. As much as he makes splash plays, he also will miss some tackles because he is usually giving his best impression of a jet fighter by flying to the point of attack. Hell, if you're going to make a mistake, do it at 100 mph. It's not a big deal when the Steelers win, but it sure does make some critical when they lose.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
SteeleReign
Team President

Maybe Troy hasn't lost a step. Hard to say for sure because he was so much faster to react than most. Troy's issues are more related to the lack of QB pressure. There's no backfield in history that could cover if the QB has all day to throw.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

What the **** is everyone talking about?

Troy, Taylor and Harrison are the only players who care out there. Everyone else seems to not give a shit this season.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
SteeleReign
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
What the **** is everyone talking about?

Troy, Taylor and Harrison are the only players who care out there. Everyone else seems to not give a shit this season.
Not talking about who cares and who doesn't. Just talking about why Troy isn't racking up all the splash plays as usual. I don't think it has much to do with Troy as it does a lack of pass rush.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
Steelers17
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15580

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
troy hasnt lost a step!

people need to go back and re-watch every missed tackle from this season. just about EVERY one is because troy is running faster than a speeding bullet and it is very difficult to change that trajectory and react to a quicker than a blink juke.

the good thing is not everybody can juke like that, and troy usually gets them. the move arian foster put on him in the backfield seals him as an upper eschelon back in this game, with reflexes of a cat. cant blame troy for that. if he had actually SLOWED down he probably makes that tackle.
There, it is settled and Troy has not lost a step. Placed in context that he is significantly older, coming off serious knee and Achilles injuries, and that his weight may soon reach Jenny Craig figures, he has defied human physiology and indeed, has NOT lost a step!

Steelers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers17 View Post
There, it is settled and Troy has not lost a step. Placed in context that he is significantly older, coming off serious knee and Achilles injuries, and that his weight may soon reach Jenny Craig figures, he has defied human physiology and indeed, has NOT lost a step!

What, no Ayn Rand quote?
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote