Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,765 Times in 4,056 Posts
Default Re: Cowher's Future Unclear

id take whiz or grimm, lebeau (i think hes to old to wanna be a head coach though) and maybe even darren perry over saban. these guys know steelers football.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:14 AM   #22
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

did cowher know steeler football when he took it over?
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:32 AM   #23
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Personally, I would rather have a guy that has been in the organization for a while, learning from the likes of Bill Cowher, Dick LeBeau and Russ Grimm. While I'm not stating Whiz is ready just yet, I think by the time Cowher retires he will be ready.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 06-09-2006 at 10:36 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #24
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

so how do you feel about russ grimm he seems to be a hot canidate anytime a position opens up
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:10 PM   #25
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default EXIT STRATEGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
call me selfish but bill needs to hire his wife a good looking cuban gardener, find him a sweet young misteress in pittsburgh, and focus on football.
Tony I'm almost positive we exchanged ideas on this topic only a few weeks ago.

That is when I brought up the comments by Joey and Ben which came months apart and it perked my interest. Joey made strong references to 'Richard LeBeau' and why not. Respect. But then Ben on his 'Euro Tour' made reference to Whiz as "coach" The commentary between the lines is telling.

Jack Lambert and Bill Cowher have alot in common. They have an aspiration for their daughters game (remember that recent Lambert interview). Ironic.

EXIT STRATEGY!

Cowher has lived the last decade with the title of the guy who can't win the big one. And some in Steeler Country should reflect on that shortsightedness. Just the mere fact he his still an NFL head coach is somewhat miraculous.

But Cuban gardeners and hotties in hotel rooms can be found 24/7. If you are a family man watching your kids excel is well (what's the overplayed Visa commercial) I guess priceless.

The newest Rooney at the helm seems to want to put his stamp on the papers. I think they (Cowher, Rooney, Rooney, etc) are all on the same page. And the next Steeler head coach is already working for the Black and Gold.

Door No.1. 'Richard' LeBeau. At his age the horizon isn't long enough for a long tenure. Pray he's in BnG as long as he can breath.

Door No.2. Russ Grimm. He will be a NFL head coach somewhere, sometime. I don't know if there is a job for him in between O-line coach and head coach - not sure if he is a offensive coordinator. Cracking the whip yes.

Door No. 3. Ken Whisenhunt errrr Boy Wonder. We all chimed in on the "Who do we keep - Ben or Troy? Plenty of love for Troy but it was unanimous. And the more Ben and the Whiz become joined at the hips the more irreplacable the Whiz becomes. And from what I can tell Rooney Jr. Jr. might think this is his guy.

I can't think of anyone else on the planet to coach the Steelers right now. Cowher is plenty young enough to get sick of girls basketball for the next 5 -6 years and re-enter the NFL with either a southeastern franchise (John Fox may be unemployed by then) or maybe a new gig in LA with a stake in ownership. A stake in ownership won't be proffered up for a Steeler HC in my lifetime and I'm in my 30's.

I've done a 180 on this. I'm betting the exit strategy is in place and the question is not if but when. This is Cowher's last year as Steeler HC.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:25 PM   #26
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

I think most Steelers starters are signed for two years. Cowher has two years left on his contract ...... seems to make sense to me.

As far as a replacement (similar to what others have said) , while the Rooneys have went outside the organization for an unknown coach the two past times, in both those cases the team was in a horrible state. Presumably, the steelers would still be pretty good if cowher does leave next year or the year after. So, maybe they will stay within org., or go for a better known coaching commodity.

hi by the way.

OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #27
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604
Default Re: EXIT STRATEGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt

Door No.1. 'Richard' LeBeau. At his age the horizon isn't long enough for a long tenure. Pray he's in BnG as long as he can breath.

Good God......NO!!!!! LeBeau is plain and simple a great D-Coordinator and that's where that should STOP!!

Door No.2. Russ Grimm. He will be a NFL head coach somewhere, sometime. I don't know if there is a job for him in between O-line coach and head coach - not sure if he is a offensive coordinator. Cracking the whip yes.

I agree. Grimm is a good disciplinarian and a better offensive line coach but after that what he can do as a head coach can be a little scary to speculate.

Door No. 3. Ken Whisenhunt errrr Boy Wonder. We all chimed in on the "Who do we keep - Ben or Troy? Plenty of love for Troy but it was unanimous. And the more Ben and the Whiz become joined at the hips the more irreplacable the Whiz becomes. And from what I can tell Rooney Jr. Jr. might think this is his guy.

Anyone who would suggest letting go of the likes of a franchise QB like Ben in order to keep Troy Polamalu should have their head examined.
Sorry Troy!!!........Ben will get the blank check and you'll unfortunately get the open door.
IMO Whiz has to be the early favorite.

Cowher is plenty young enough to get sick of girls basketball for the next 5 -6 years and re-enter the NFL with either a southeastern franchise (John Fox may be unemployed by then) or maybe a new gig in LA with a stake in ownership.
I can see Cowher being the new Panthers HC in about 5-7 years.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #28
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
id take whiz or grimm, lebeau (i think hes to old to wanna be a head coach though) and maybe even darren perry over saban. these guys know steelers football.
I don`t know if Steelers football can be coached by an offensive coach??????
Old 06-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #29
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Well I don't want to see Bill Cowher retire early either. He is the only coach I know for the Steelers. I remember Chuck Noll's last few years. But Cowher is the coach I grew up with and thats rare in pro sports these days for coaches to last as long as Cowher has lasted. But if the man wants to retire to spend more time with his family. I say Bill thank you for the great job you did as our coach.

There will never be another Bill Cowher thats for sure. But the Steelers do have some very good coaches waiting in the wings if Bill does retire in a year or two. I don't think Steelers fans ever thought anybody could fill Chuck Noll's shoes when Noll retired. I'm not saying Cowher is as a good coach as Noll. But I think its safe to say that Bill Cowher not only met every Steelers fans expectations. But Cowher also kept up the standard set by those great teams that Noll coached.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:17 PM   #30
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,765 Times in 4,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
I don`t know if Steelers football can be coached by an offensive coach??????
darren perry has played under lebeau, and has had 2 excellent seasons working with a young secondary, coaching under lebeau. i know nothing of his organizational skills or his capabilities to be a leader of men and fire them up but if theres anybody absorbing the zone blitz it is him. he could be the next eric mangini type to jump quickly into a h.c. job, especially if another team is emnamoured with the zone blitz. i cant even speculate how good linebackers coach butler would be as a head coach. lebeau seems and sounds pretty content to let bill do all the dirty work, while he can just focus on the x's and o's. i wonder if his bengals experience has soured him on being the big cheese.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote