Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 06-09-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304
Default Any News on Joey Porter

Someone just told me he wants more money. Has anyone heard or read anything like this?
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:25 PM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Any News on Joey Porter

Full speed ahead for Porter

Linebacker Joey Porter, who had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee May 24, should be ready to participate fully in drills during training camp, Cowher said.

"We may monitor him some, as with some of the other guys that we'll monitor, but he should not be inhibited in any way."

Cowher said Porter decided to have surgery, after consulting with trainer John Norwig and Dr. James Bradley, because of swelling in his knee.

"We came into minicamp and looked at it to see if doing football things would aggravate it," Cowher said. "He still felt it a little bit, nothing that was restrictive. We sat down and talked with him.

"It just felt like it was something that we wanted to take a proactive approach [on] and not wait until training camp and then have it start to bother him. It was something that we were hoping would go away, and it just never did. He should be fine by camp." - PPG
Old 06-09-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Porter also stated that his no-show during VW's had nothing to do with a new contract.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn
Someone just told me he wants more money. Has anyone heard or read anything like this?
Porter refuses to discuss contract situation

By Joe Bendel
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, May 25, 2006

Fresh off of successful arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Wednesday, Steelers linebacker Joey Porter claimed his absences from voluntary workouts had nothing to do with his contract situation, despite reports to the contrary.
"None of it is right," Porter said. "None of it."

Asked if he wanted to set the record straight and address speculation surrounding his perceived dissatisfaction with his contract, which has two years remaining, Porter dismissed the opportunity.

"I'm not going to get in a war of words," he said. "None of it is right."

In an abbreviated conversation, Porter suggested that he might cease talking with the media when he returns to the field.

Steelers coach Bill Cowher, in an interview with WTAE-TV, said yesterday that speculation surrounding Porter's absences from the team's voluntary workouts -- the Steelers completed their fifth of 14 yesterday -- was much ado about nothing.

"Last week, he went back to spend some time with his family," Cowher said. "Sometimes, I think a lot of things were getting blown up and taken out of context. But that's his status."

Fellow linebacker Clark Haggans said he doesn't discuss contracts with Porter or any other teammates. He also added that he hadn't heard if Porter was choosing to be a conscientious objector due to a contract that will pay him $3.85 million this season and $5 million in 2007.

Porter made $3.5 million in base salary last season, which was equal to that of Takeo Spikes and Zach Thomas, and $2 million less than Ray Lewis, according to the NFL Players' Association.

"When he's not here -- visibly -- people are wondering what he's doing," Haggans said. "They come up with assumptions."

Porter underwent the procedure on his right knee yesterday morning. He was at the Steelers' facilities in the afternoon, eating lunch with his wife before departing on crutches. Of the surgery, Porter said things were "fine." He is expected to be at full strength for the start of training camp on July 28.

It was the second time in less than a year that Porter underwent arthroscopic surgery. He had loose cartilage removed from his left knee last August during training camp. He returned in time for the start of the season and finished with 10 1/2 sacks, tops among NFL linebackers. His 53 career sacks rank sixth on the Steelers' all-time list, a half sack behind Greg Lloyd.

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said he believed Porter first injured the right knee early last season. He then deferred to Porter when asked why the linebacker waited until this point in the offseason to have surgery.

"I think Joey could play; he could play right now (had he not had surgery)," LeBeau said. "This is more to make the long haul better for Joey."

Porter, 29, tested the knee during minicamp May 13-15 and appeared to move well, as he did in a post-Super Bowl taping of "Battle of the Gridiron Stars" for ESPN. But he ultimately decided on surgery for protection from any complications in advance of training camp.

"It was more of a proactive approach that we took," Cowher said.

Haggans said inside linebacker James Farrior spoke with Porter after the surgery and said he is doing fine. Porter's teammates don't expect him to be affected by the procedure in training camp.

"He'll be 6-foot-3, 250 pounds and cut like a turkey," Haggans said, making a reference to Porter's muscular frame. "Joey's the type of guy who can turn it on when he needs to. The priority is his knee. We'd rather have him healthy throughout the whole season next year than have him healthy now and struggling next season with an injury."

Porter's outside linebacker spot is being held down by veteran James Harrison, who started three games in place of Haggans last season and amassed 13 tackles, a sack and interception in those contests. Harrison was signed in the offseason to a four-year deal worth $5.5 million.

"When James is in there," LeBeau said, "we don't skip a beat."

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 06-09-2006 at 01:37 PM.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Just another blown out of proportion by the media trying to make shit up.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I hope he realizes what he has in Pittsburgh, just a year ago everyone was writing him off. This style of defense helps him, and when its all over and you have more money than you can spend anyway, wouldn`t a few rings be worth all the cash anyway. I mean if he stays and plays for a team that could win a couple more rings, this could help write his ticket to Canton. Don`t get me wrong I don`t think he has had a HOF career to this point, but a few championships really stick out in voters minds.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:31 PM   #7
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
I hope he realizes what he has in Pittsburgh, just a year ago everyone was writing him off. This style of defense helps him, and when its all over and you have more money than you can spend anyway, wouldn`t a few rings be worth all the cash anyway. I mean if he stays and plays for a team that could win a couple more rings, this could help write his ticket to Canton. Don`t get me wrong I don`t think he has had a HOF career to this point, but a few championships really stick out in voters minds.
Cleve I couldn't have said it better myself. Very good post my man. The Steelers 3-4 blitz scheme makes stars out of OLB's. Look at the OLB's that have come and gone. Greg Lloyd, Keven Greene, Chad Brown, Jason Gildon and Mike Vrabel just to name a few. Joey Porter is a great player but your right the system fits in what Joey does best. So come contract time its up to Joey if he wants to remain a Steeler. The Steelers won't break the bank to keep him. Since their defense if famous for turning OLB into stars.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

"The Steelers 3-4 blitz scheme makes stars out of OLB's. Look at the OLB's that have come and gone. Greg Lloyd, Keven Greene, Chad Brown, Jason Gildon and Mike Vrabel just to name a few".

That's so true. It's like we are the play-doh fun factory for molding LB's.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote