Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Big FO mistake

What, our FO isn't infallible? How many teams do you know that are 100% great at every position. Not even the mighty Patriots. Their defense is a disaster. Salary cap restrictions do not let a team be totally complete at every position. You have to pay your stars to keep them or they are playing for your rivals instead. They need to play up to their contracts (which they are not for the most part) but I guarantee you the stars will be gone if you don't pay them.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
WickedSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17099

Well there's part of the problem. They paid Timmons and Woodley huge amounts of money to be playmakers. Problem is that with the tired, old, slow D line, these guys aren't effective at rushing the QB any more. Smith, Hampton and Kiesel can't take up enough blockers to let these guys through.

Now the most effective and dominate part of this team, the LB corps, has become a non factor. RBs are gashing them time after time and the secondary continues to give up the beg plays on play action.

They decided to invest $100 million in Ben and then spend the majority of the rest on LBs. They didn't want to, or couldn't afford to, spend any more on the O line and so Ben gets pummeled every game and doesn't have a chance to make a play. On the defensive side, they spent $50 mill on Timmons and nearly $70 mill on Woodely and now they are basically ineffective because of the old, tired D line not getting it done.

So they basically have high dollar superstars on both sides of the ball but they are unable to make plays due to the crappy play in front of them. THIS is the mistake that the FO made.
WickedSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,153 Times in 3,214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSteel View Post
Well there's part of the problem. They paid Timmons and Woodley huge amounts of money to be playmakers. Problem is that with the tired, old, slow D line, these guys aren't effective at rushing the QB any more. Smith, Hampton and Kiesel can't take up enough blockers to let these guys through.

Now the most effective and dominate part of this team, the LB corps, has become a non factor. RBs are gashing them time after time and the secondary continues to give up the beg plays on play action.

They decided to invest $100 million in Ben and then spend the majority of the rest on LBs. They didn't want to, or couldn't afford to, spend any more on the O line and so Ben gets pummeled every game and doesn't have a chance to make a play. On the defensive side, they spent $50 mill on Timmons and nearly $70 mill on Woodely and now they are basically ineffective because of the old, tired D line not getting it done.

So they basically have high dollar superstars on both sides of the ball but they are unable to make plays due to the crappy play in front of them. THIS is the mistake that the FO made.
2 Lombardis, 3 Super Bowl appearances, and 4 AFC championship games in the last 7 years

The front office sucks ... and so do the Steelers
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #14
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

This is new. Haven't heard this complaint before.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
Danny136200
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17651

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
EASILY... The worst
Its a close call between the Bears, Eagles, and Steelers. We are not easily the worst..... Im gonna light myself on fire....
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #16
WickedSteel
Banned

Keep bringing that up but it just reinforces the point I am trying to make. Just about all of the players on D that were there 7 years ago are still there now. They are getting old and tired and ineffective at making the plays that they are known for. The O line has progressively gotten worse, not better over the year. The O line against the Seahawks was pretty damn good, the one against the Cards was worse and the one last year was just bad. This year, it's worse.

The FO hasn't been planning for the future and building replacements for these players. They have just been riding the wave of talent that has been there for 8+ years and now things are finally breaking down. They now have a bunch of high paid veterans that are past their prime and aren't getting the job done. Am I saying that Ward sucks? No. Am I saying Farrior sucks? No. Am I saying that Smith sucks? No. What I am saying is that these guys made tremendous contributions that allowed this team to win 2 SBs and play in another but their effectiveness has run out. These guys will always be remembered for their talent and heart but it is time to move on.

Now the bottom has dropped out all at once and it's making things look REALLY bad out there. NOBODY is scared of the Steelers anymore. They can run against them, they can pass, whatever they want. They can put pressure on Ben and stop the running game effectively making this offense look totally lost. There is no fear or respect for this team anymore and I don't blame the rest of the league.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,153 Times in 3,214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSteel View Post
Keep bringing that up but it just reinforces the point I am trying to make. Just about all of the players on D that were there 7 years ago are still there now. They are getting old and tired and ineffective at making the plays that they are known for. The O line has progressively gotten worse, not better over the year. The O line against the Seahawks was pretty damn good, the one against the Cards was worse and the one last year was just bad. This year, it's worse.

The FO hasn't been planning for the future and building replacements for these players. They have just been riding the wave of talent that has been there for 8+ years and now things are finally breaking down. They now have a bunch of high paid veterans that are past their prime and aren't getting the job done. Am I saying that Ward sucks? No. Am I saying Farrior sucks? No. Am I saying that Smith sucks? No. What I am saying is that these guys made tremendous contributions that allowed this team to win 2 SBs and play in another but their effectiveness has run out. These guys will always be remembered for their talent and heart but it is time to move on.

Now the bottom has dropped out all at once and it's making things look REALLY bad out there. NOBODY is scared of the Steelers anymore. They can run against them, they can pass, whatever they want. They can put pressure on Ben and stop the running game effectively making this offense look totally lost. There is no fear or respect for this team anymore and I don't blame the rest of the league.
Would you at least try to get a grip?

The league is designed to have turnover at the top of the heap - that is what the draft and salary cap are designed to achieve

You appear to believe it is the 1970s and you just cut aging players loose and plug in new ones without having to deal with how it affects your cap number

Guess what? Nothing lasts forever (1960s Packers/1970s Steelers/1980s 49ers/1990s Cowboys).

I know you going to throw the Patriots back at me but, once again, guess what? - they have not won a Lombardi since 2004 and currently have one of the worst defenses in the league - so please point out to me a team without some major weaknesses somewhere that has a front office that has done a consistently better job over the last 10 years

A final point - this is not fantasy football - the other teams are trying to win as well - even in sports where you have significant salary disparities sometimes the better stocked team still loses (ask the Red Sox, Yankees and Phillies how that works)

In closing, out of curiosity how old are you? You apparently assume that teams you root for are entitled to and are going to win forever - if you have been paying attention to how pro sports operates for any length of time you should know that is not how it works
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #18
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

The league is designed to have turnover at the top of the heap - that is what the draft and salary cap are designed to achieve

You appear to believe it is the 1970s and you just cut aging players loose and plug in new ones without having to deal with how it affects your cap number

Guess what? Nothing lasts forever (1960s Packers/1970s Steelers/1980s 49ers/1990s Cowboys).

I know you going to throw the Patriots back at me but, once again, guess what? - they have not won a Lombardi since 2004 and currently have one of the worst defenses in the league - so please point out to me a team without some major weaknesses somewhere that has a front office that has done a consistently better job over the last 10 years

A final point - this is not fantasy football - the other teams are trying to win as well - even in sports where you have significant salary disparities sometimes the better stocked team still loses (ask the Red Sox, Yankees and Phillies how that works)

In closing, out of curiosity how old are you? You apparently assume that teams you root for are entitled to and are going to win forever - if you have been paying attention to how pro sports operates for any length of time you should know that is not how it works
Dan you are making too much sense, slow down and let it sink in slowly.........
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #19
WickedSteel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

Don't throw my age at me or question my intelligence. I have watched the Steelers for 20 years and have seen the best of the best and the worst of the worst. I have been a Pens fan just as long and have seen the same there. I fully understand how sports work and know that there are rebuilding years and good years. The Lions are a good example. They had stunk for so many years and it resulted in them stockpiling loads of talent and it is finally paying off.

I am not feeling entitled to anything. I am just stating my frustrations with the FO and BA. I know that they can't work miracles but it seems as if they have dropped the ball lately. My biggest concern is that Ben will eventually get hurt bad behind the ever changing O line and that too many years will be lost with the young talent that they have. Ben isn't going to play forever. Neither will Wallace, Brown or Sanders. If they spend too many years rebuilding, they will lose those guys eventually.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #20
Aussie Steeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17896

Only criticism warranted by the FO is that they is investing a whole heap of money into our perrenial defense. In doing so they have, to an exent, let our offensive line depth dip. With that said, even with this group of people, if we had a healthy offensive line, I still think we can make another SB trip. Glad they signed fat boy Starks - I think he can make a difference.
Aussie Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote