Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 10-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
BlaZeQuietly
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219
Default Is this Steeler era over?

2-3 starring pitt right in the face? Our defense noticeably old and weak and beat up and slow, can't stop the run. Our offensive line is going to get big ben killed. It's a mess. I've seen this team overcome adversity before like starting last season with out big ben, not having polamolu for a good chunk of the season... I think this week is the tipping point for the 2011-2012 Steelers, unable to beat the ravens or the texans, barely able the beat the colts??? I think pitt needs to make a statement against Tennessee, they gotta give redman the ball and hes gotta run really fast, really often, I just have a bad feeling about these guys, they are no longer a fun team to watch, they only have a few big plays each game and its always a hail marry that wallace tracks down, 1 turn over this year? whats going on? is it time to rebuild? Maybe we should enter the andrew luck sweepstakes, and draft and trade for an entire new young defense and let them gel for a few years? or should we let this old horse keep runnin
BlaZeQuietly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448
Default Re: Is this Steeler era over?

This is the new passing NFL leauge and we have a gunslinger and young talented receivers in Wallace brown sanders. Build a decent oline through draft next couple of years and we will be able to compete. Young d line ends in place. No need to panic and clean house. Have we grown so used to dominating that being a team with problems is so horrible they should quit and throw away a season to draft a qb that hasn't played. DOwn in the NFL? Ughhhh this is getting old with the panic threads. Make a sticky and be done with it already!
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701

Working on the assumption that Heyward, Worilds and Sylvester will be ready to make significant contributions next year {and I know that is a huge assumption}, There is not much wrong with this team that one strong draft could not fix. Address the o-line in the first two rounds if possible, and middle lb in 3-4. As much as I like Clark, more speed there would be nice.
steelerjim58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
BlaZeQuietly
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

heh
BlaZeQuietly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

No it's not. As mentioned, we are set at most positions now and in the future, just need to get an o line. Probably not going to win it this year, but if we at least will get one really good FA o lineman and draft a good one too, we will be right back where we were before this season.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,204 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeQuietly View Post
2-3 starring pitt right in the face? Our defense noticeably old and weak and beat up and slow, can't stop the run. Our offensive line is going to get big ben killed. It's a mess. I've seen this team overcome adversity before like starting last season with out big ben, not having polamolu for a good chunk of the season... I think this week is the tipping point for the 2011-2012 Steelers, unable to beat the ravens or the texans, barely able the beat the colts??? I think pitt needs to make a statement against Tennessee, they gotta give redman the ball and hes gotta run really fast, really often, I just have a bad feeling about these guys, they are no longer a fun team to watch, they only have a few big plays each game and its always a hail marry that wallace tracks down, 1 turn over this year? whats going on? is it time to rebuild? Maybe we should enter the andrew luck sweepstakes, and draft and trade for an entire new young defense and let them gel for a few years? or should we let this old horse keep runnin
Are you serious????? Let me see here, having to open three of you first four games on the road???? No matter what the caliber of team this is no way to have to open the season, need I remind you they weren't in easy places to play either. Now, not trying to make excuses but there was a lockout, even the players assumed that would run long into the season, ever heard of game speed, conditioning? This was a team that was one turnover from winning the SB last year from a team that is now 4-0 this year. Please an era over, no this Sunday I think the era continues and another begins, the one thing the Steelers have done well is draft for the future ala, Wallace, Sanders and Brown, era over, not quite yet, not in Steel Town.
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
WickedSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
Are you serious????? Let me see here, having to open three of you first four games on the road???? No matter what the caliber of team this is no way to have to open the season, need I remind you they weren't in easy places to play either. Now, not trying to make excuses but there was a lockout, even the players assumed that would run long into the season, ever heard of game speed, conditioning? This was a team that was one turnover from winning the SB last year from a team that is now 4-0 this year. Please an era over, no this Sunday I think the era continues and another begins, the one thing the Steelers have done well is draft for the future ala, Wallace, Sanders and Brown, era over, not quite yet, not in Steel Town.
Keep up with the homerism dude. I could care less about Wallace, Sanders and Brown right now because they are not able to contribute thanks to a swiss cheese O line. Sure injury problems really shot the O line to hell but they were bad to begin with.

Right now the best teams in the NFL could care less about defense. The Patriots D stinks and yet they still manage to hang 30+ on an opponent every week and outshoot them. They do this without big name players either. Welker, Woodhead, Branch, Steven freaking Ridley, etc. Bellichick has built a very effective O line to protect Brady and has a gameplan that allows them to basically plug in Joe blow at any given position and make him effective. The Saints D isn't the greatest yet they manage to have success year in and year out because of a good O line once again and a gameplan that keeps the ball moving by getting it out of the QBs hand in a hurry. Same goes for many other strong offensive teams like the Texans, Lions and the Chargers.

As much as I like a strong defensive team, things are changing. Offense is the order of the day and you don't have to worry about high paid defenders when you can just out score the opponent. Manning and the Colts did it for years. The best defense is a good offense nowadays. If you have an offense that can move the ball down the field, dinking and dunking and taking time off the clock, then you keep the ball out of your opponents hands, not allowing them to score on you.

It's a combination of bad play on BOTH sides of the line of scrimmage and poor play calling.
WickedSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Yes. It's over. You can all go away now.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,309 Times in 584 Posts

I think it's a question of identity more than anything else.

We have the tools and even with some aging vets we still have a solid roster overall.
What we're lacking is a clear definition of "who" we are. Are we a running team? A passing team? A West Coast team? A hybrid?

I think we can be any of those things but someone needs to decide which it's going to be and then set about to sculpt the team in that image and design it to work as efficiently as possible to that end.

Right now it seems as if we don't do anything particularly well and it sometimes seems as if the offensive game plan consists of Arians entering a room with a dartboard in it that has a bunch of plays written on it and a half-hour later he comes out with his plan (if it can be called a plan).

I really think that he, Tomlin, Ben and the rest of the offensive group need to sit down and have a no-holds-barred discussion of just what type of team they want to have and then work on ways to make that happen.
Right now it just seems as if Arians is making it up as he goes and that's not working.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,204 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSteel View Post
Keep up with the homerism dude. I could care less about Wallace, Sanders and Brown right now because they are not able to contribute thanks to a swiss cheese O line. Sure injury problems really shot the O line to hell but they were bad to begin with.

Right now the best teams in the NFL could care less about defense. The Patriots D stinks and yet they still manage to hang 30+ on an opponent every week and outshoot them. They do this without big name players either. Welker, Woodhead, Branch, Steven freaking Ridley, etc. Bellichick has built a very effective O line to protect Brady and has a gameplan that allows them to basically plug in Joe blow at any given position and make him effective. The Saints D isn't the greatest yet they manage to have success year in and year out because of a good O line once again and a gameplan that keeps the ball moving by getting it out of the QBs hand in a hurry. Same goes for many other strong offensive teams like the Texans, Lions and the Chargers.

As much as I like a strong defensive team, things are changing. Offense is the order of the day and you don't have to worry about high paid defenders when you can just out score the opponent. Manning and the Colts did it for years. The best defense is a good offense nowadays. If you have an offense that can move the ball down the field, dinking and dunking and taking time off the clock, then you keep the ball out of your opponents hands, not allowing them to score on you.

It's a combination of bad play on BOTH sides of the line of scrimmage and poor play calling.
Really??? Lets model the Steelers after the Patriots, I would rather see the Steelers do it fairly, however you and Bellicheat can have it the way you want it, I'll stick to my heroism!!!!!
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote