Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #21
Steeler4life1972
Banned

Member Number: 17121
Default Re: Is this Steeler era over?

We will turn the ship around...imho!!!
Steeler4life1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #22
WickedSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17099

If the Titans smack the Steelers right in the face tomorrow, we will see how you all feel about this season.

All season long so far I keep hearing "this game was a fluke, we will get it turned around next game". Then next game comes and the same shit and then I hear, "we will get things straightened out next time" and the same shit again. How many games have to go by before we finally accept the fact that it looks like this season is in the can.

Look, I hope to God that the Steelers come out tomorrow and kick ass all over the field and look like an unstoppable force on both sides of the ball but my confidence is shot right now. I would love to eat crow and have this team get things on track and start rolling but I think that too much damage has been done so far.
WickedSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #23
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,697 Times in 1,767 Posts

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #24
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

To me tomorrow is an early season make/break indicator of where I expect this season to go.

So far we're 2-2 and on the precipice. We've lost 2 games already to AFC competition, on the road, but still, looked pretty flaccid in the process. If we can't take care of business against a good, but not great, team at home, then I will have low expectations for facing teh likes of Balt or NE at home.

Playoffs can be tough to get into and a 9-7 record doesn't always guarantee a spot and losing 3 to AFC teams this early in the year could be a bad sign for potential tiebreakers.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #25
Steeler4life1972
Banned

Member Number: 17121

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSteel View Post
If the Titans smack the Steelers right in the face tomorrow, we will see how you all feel about this season.

All season long so far I keep hearing "this game was a fluke, we will get it turned around next game". Then next game comes and the same shit and then I hear, "we will get things straightened out next time" and the same shit again. How many games have to go by before we finally accept the fact that it looks like this season is in the can.

Look, I hope to God that the Steelers come out tomorrow and kick ass all over the field and look like an unstoppable force on both sides of the ball but my confidence is shot right now. I would love to eat crow and have this team get things on track and start rolling but I think that too much damage has been done so far.
A true steelers fan will have confidence week in and out...if you dont have confidence in your team then you dont need to be a fan...Im a fan through the good and bad!
Steeler4life1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #26
WickedSteel
Banned

I'm still a fan buddy. Does anyone have confidence in the Pirates anymore? I mean, c'mon, I love the Steelers to death but I am a realist. I'm not going to sit there and believe that when the Pats come to town that they will sack Brady 7 times and that Ben will throw for 500 yards and 6 TDs. Gotta be realistic.

There was a time that I had confidence that the Steelers would shut down ANY RB and that the offense could move the ball effectively on the ground and through the air. That time has passed now. I still love them but the confidence and swagger is gone, no gas left in the tank.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #27
RatbirdExtreme
Water Boy

Member Number: 18912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler4life1972 View Post
A true steelers fan will have confidence week in and out...if you dont have confidence in your team then you dont need to be a fan...Im a fan through the good and bad!
There's a huge difference between being a fan and having confidence, even if misguided. They are definitely mutually exclusive.

Myself for example. As you have probably surmised from the name, I'm a huge Ravens fan. Born and spent most of my life in Baltimore, etc. Do I think the Ravens are one of the better teams in the NFL this year? Absolutely. Am I confident they could beat the Packers in the SB if they get that far? Nope, not at all. Doesnt make me any less of a fan, I just try to be objective.

Ok, enough of my Ravens fandom. Most of you don't care, and that's fine. As I see the Steeler's situation, most of the criticism this year is completely unjustified. No, your D isn't too old. No, Ben isnt taking a step backwards. Are you serious? Ben is top 5 in the NFL.

The Steeler's performance this year can be summed up in one sentence. Your OLine is beyond bad. Horrible. Atrocious. Your main concern this year should be Ben come through the year without getting maimed. I remember after the Ravens- Steelers game saying to my gf " Anyone with an above average DLine is going to pound the Steelers this year" Then after watching the Colts-Steelers game I thought anyone with an average DLine was going to pound the Steelers this year. After the Texans game Im starting to wonder if 4 Catholic schoolgirls in uniform could overwhelm your OLine.

For a few years now, Ben has been able to overcome a mediocre OLine with his skills. Blame your FO for not upgrading after last year. That was sort of a curious move, IMO (or nonmove, such as it is). You'll be back, no worries, there is too much talent there on both sides of the ball. But this year might be another post SB hangover for ya'all.

Last edited by RatbirdExtreme; 10-08-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: image editing
RatbirdExtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #28
WickedSteel
Banned

Sure, Ben is a top 5 QB, Wallace is a top 5 wide out, and Mendenhall is a top 10 back but their success all hinges on the O line play. Right now they look like bottom feeders because the O line is so bad.

IMO, the two most important things on a football team are the O line and the D line. Controlling the line of scrimmage is the key and right now the Steelers are failing miserably in both. ANY NFL caliber QB can be successful when you put him behind a good O line and surround him with talent. Exhibit A-Matt Cassel. Did well in NE and looks like crap in KC.

Protect your QB and pressure the opposing QB, that is the key and the Steelers can't do either.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #29
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSteel View Post
Sure, Ben is a top 5 QB, Wallace is a top 5 wide out, and Mendenhall is a top 10 back but their success all hinges on the O line play. Right now they look like bottom feeders because the O line is so bad.

IMO, the two most important things on a football team are the O line and the D line. Controlling the line of scrimmage is the key and right now the Steelers are failing miserably in both. ANY NFL caliber QB can be successful when you put him behind a good O line and surround him with talent. Exhibit A-Matt Cassel. Did well in NE and looks like crap in KC.

Protect your QB and pressure the opposing QB, that is the key and the Steelers can't do either.
Mendenhall is not a top 10 back.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #30
WickedSteel
Banned

Who is ahead of him? There may be guys in the league that have better stats then him each year but he has had a bad O line ever since he was a rookie.

Besides Peterson, CJ2K and Foster, who else has loads more talent than Mendy? They may have much better lines but they are not necessarily better talent wise.

I am disappointed with his dancing around this year but he has talent with his speed and size.