Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528
Default Ben's 6.7 yards per attempt - Good!

This is much lower than his usual ~10 yards per attempt and would have even been lower if not for the late TD to Wallace ... and I think the lower yards per attempts... IS A GOOD THING!

This stat is used to track QBs and Ben has been touted as one of the best in HISTORY because his numbers for this stat was high - but what it does not take into account are his sacks!

I, for one, see a direct correlation with less ypa and less sacks. He was NOT HOLDING THE BALL LONGER to see if he could find bigger gains. Instead, I saw Ben make quick throws for short but POSITIVE yards.

Its also no coincidence that with less sacks there are LESS QB FUMBLES - something that has bit us bad with the two losses.

Maybe this quick passing is a by product of the foot injury but I for one welcome it
Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
California-Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11917
Default Re: Ben's 6.7 yards per attempt - Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
Maybe this quick passing is a by product of the foot injury but I for one welcome it
I was thinking the same thing. Lets hope Tomlin also had something to do with it and is taking charge and made changes becasue they had to be made. This is a much better reason and will be long lasting if it is. If not then it will be back to "I only know one way to play' and "I just run my offence no matter what".
Old 10-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

I guess it's kind of like passing yards in that respect. Ben had 228 yards passing today but 5 TD passes. What worked was that we used the run to set up the pass and I saw a couple plays where Ten was thinking we'd run and we'd pass. We were pretty strong on third downs. Great game by Ben. Hope he does it again next week against Jacksonville and makes us 4-2.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful

Yes, I noticed that too. God I hope this speaks to a new direction because the Steelers need to move the chains and control the ball to help out the D and Ben.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Quote from The Tennessean:

...But the Titans hardly sniffed the gimpy Roethlisberger, touching him only once — on Jurrell Casey’s sack.

One reason Big Ben stayed safe: he surprised the Titans.

“He was doing a lot of little three-step, dink-and-dunk passes,” defensive end Derrick Morgan said. “I don’t think anybody expected it. We didn’t really know the extent of his injury, and we were expecting him to be scrambling around and extending plays like usual, putting lot of stress on the secondary. But he was just staying in the pocket with those quick three-step and five-step drops. It was frustrating.”

I feel as if the fans on this board has been clamoring for 3 step drops (I have been) and screaming "just throw the ball" on gameday threads. Finally they heard us.

Next - get Mendy to stop dancing.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
This is much lower than his usual ~10 yards per attempt and would have even been lower if not for the late TD to Wallace ... and I think the lower yards per attempts... IS A GOOD THING!

This stat is used to track QBs and Ben has been touted as one of the best in HISTORY because his numbers for this stat was high - but what it does not take into account are his sacks!

I, for one, see a direct correlation with less ypa and less sacks. He was NOT HOLDING THE BALL LONGER to see if he could find bigger gains. Instead, I saw Ben make quick throws for short but POSITIVE yards.

Its also no coincidence that with less sacks there are LESS QB FUMBLES - something that has bit us bad with the two losses.

Excellent stat, and you're exactly right.

I hope we keep this up.......
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote