Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,583 Posts
Default who's number one in pass defense ?

its the pittsburgh steelers .....

EVERYBODY had the defensive backfield pegged as a glaring weakness , so how in the hell can this be ?

thje patriots are dead last.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019
Default Re: who's number one in pass defense ?

And the "old" defense is #2 overall.

How about that AFC North defense going 1 (Cincy) 2 (Us) and 3 (Baltimore)

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team
Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

They give up the small stuff but don't let anything big get past them. Its the way it has always been.

The only problem is the Patriots, Packers and a few others nickle and dime us to death down the field and score. Not to mention when the Steelers play them they always seem to shoot themselves in both feet and the knee and beat themselves.

To beat teams like the Patriots, Greenbay, Ravens... you MUST play MISTAKE FREE football. You can't give those guys opportunities to put up extra points on the board from mistakes.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,307 Posts

still 3-2 though.. (mainly cause of the poor oline play against texans and ravens)looks like that o line was fixed this week..

dont let the stats fool you though, chargers were number 1 in d last year i believe and missed the playoffs.

i will say swag looks very good so far this year.

and lewis and gay in years 3 and 4 look like they know what the hell is goin on now
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
steelersfan77
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10585
My Mood: Busy

Stats are just stats. They can speak some truth and for the most part they can be misleading. Is it awesome if a running back puts up 1500 yards? Yeah but then you peak at his yards per carry and you see the team he plays for has abused him and his ypc is 2.3.

I love what this defense does against the pass. They play contain and when the ball is delivered they make the tackle. They've been doing that pretty routinely lately. The key is making the tackle.

It's very important that this team find more pass cover guys. Some of the best teams in the league are going pass heavy, the Pats and Packers, because they have great accurate QB's. Last years Pats took us down in the regular season by attacking us down the middle with TE's. Green Bay also attacked our seams. This has to change.

The steelers "D" matches up great with 90% of the league and then there's a few teams that seem to have no problem shredding them.

Lately teams have been able to run on this defense but I think we'll see that come to a stop very quickly.

Just to add I didn't like what the Jets tried to do against the Pats yesterday playing at times 7 Db's. The pats ran all over them. I did like how at times Welker was covered by the best cover CB even though that guy was in the slot. When the time comes the steelers need to think about putting Taylor on Welker and doubling the TE while playing not to get beat on the corners.
steelersfan77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan77 View Post
Stats are just stats. They can speak some truth and for the most part they can be misleading. Is it awesome if a running back puts up 1500 yards? Yeah but then you peak at his yards per carry and you see the team he plays for has abused him and his ypc is 2.3.

I love what this defense does against the pass. They play contain and when the ball is delivered they make the tackle. They've been doing that pretty routinely lately. The key is making the tackle.

It's very important that this team find more pass cover guys. Some of the best teams in the league are going pass heavy, the Pats and Packers, because they have great accurate QB's. Last years Pats took us down in the regular season by attacking us down the middle with TE's. Green Bay also attacked our seams. This has to change.

The steelers "D" matches up great with 90% of the league and then there's a few teams that seem to have no problem shredding them.

Lately teams have been able to run on this defense but I think we'll see that come to a stop very quickly.

Just to add I didn't like what the Jets tried to do against the Pats yesterday playing at times 7 Db's. The pats ran all over them. I did like how at times Welker was covered by the best cover CB even though that guy was in the slot. When the time comes the steelers need to think about putting Taylor on Welker and doubling the TE while playing not to get beat on the corners.
I'm not even going to check. I'm just going to dare you to find me the running back anytime in NFL history who ran for 1500 yards in a season with a 2.3 YPC, or any number even remotely close to that. Last year's San Diego Chargers are the exception that proves the rule: being tops in offense and/or defense gives you as good a chance as any to win on Sunday.

Stats are misleading if you're only looking at stats.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:

You make some valid points, but you've also grossly over exaggerated some of them. The Pats and Packers have shredded most teams the last couple of years and 600 + carries in a season never happens.
What the Steelers really need to do is be able to make a couple of stops or turnovers against those high powered Offenses and then have their own Offense that can keep up in a shootout. Yesterday was a good start.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
Danny136200
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17651

Quote:

You would need about 652 carries in a season (average 2.3 a carry) to get 1500 yards.

The Steelers pass defense has been stellar this season (except for the first week, when we decided not to cover their only legit weapon). We stopped Hasselbeck and the Titans, who have been playing good passing he ball, we stopped the high octane PASS offense of the Texans*; so all in all, I think the pass defense has been doing a really good job, hopefully they will keep it up when the Ravens and Patriots come to town.

*We got gashed for over 180 rushing yards, so with the Texans success on the ground, they did not really throw the ball that much. Plus Andre Johnson, their best WR, left before the 1st half.

Last edited by Danny136200; 10-10-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Missed something
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

guys, i think he was exagerating and just putting up a number to give you an example.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
guys, i think he was exagerating and just putting up a number to give you an example.
Of course he was. A) It's ironic to put up fictional numbers when your point is to claim that stats are misleading (fictional numbers are indeed misleading). B) My position stands no matter what numbers he puts up: stats are only misleading if all you're looking at is stats.