Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
shaner82
Water Boy

Member Number: 18989
Default Why the hate for Mendy???

I hear a lot of Steelers fans don't like Mendy and I don't understand why. Mendy is the most talented RB we've had in a very long time, in my opinion.

We have had a terrible offensive line for years now, and we have an offensive coordinator who has no idea how to use a talented back like Mendy. Plus we have a QB who absolutely refuses to check down to the RB. He absolutely insists on throwing deep on every single play.

Put Mendy on a team like the Bears, Lions, Saints, or any other team that utilizes the RB in the passing game, and Mendy would be a top 3 RB every year. Mendy has some of the best quickness and elusiveness out of any back in the league, yet we don't utilize those skills at all. Instead, we tell him to pound it up the gut over and over, despite us having a line that can't block.

I hope Mendy does leave once his contract is up. Although I don't like all that crap he writes on twitter, he's one of the most talented backs in the league, and that talent is being wasted under one of the worst OC's of all time, and a selfish QB who isn't being reigned in. I want fans of this team to realize what we had, so that the blame can be put where it belongs, on Bruce, Ben and Tomlin.

Yes, I know I'm new here and I'm going to get blasted for referring to big Ben as selfish, but he is. His off field antics prove it (not the sexual assault allegations, but all the stuff about treating members of the public like garbage, being a bad teammate, etc.) and so does his play on the field by insisting on throwing deep all the time just to pad his own stats.

Anyway, that's all. I hope one of these days we can actually use Mendy's quickness and elusiveness, because we've barely seen what he can do.
shaner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts
Default Re: Why the hate for Mendy???

any player who doesnt kick ass for ATLEAST 2 years straight is automatically hated by the majority of steelerfans.

every steelers is expected to play to the standard set from' 74-'79.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,320 Times in 1,416 Posts

its just the nature of the beast. look at how the titan fans have turned on chris johnson...

Quote:
Chris Johnson SUCKS!
WOW, now we have his huge contract too, I'd rather get the same production from Ringer and Harper, at least we wouldn't be overpaying. It's not the OLine, CJ just sucks.
Quote:
He's not worth the effort of making a new topic for, the kid is a flat out joke, a smaller version of Albert Haynesworth if I ever saw one.
http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=75614

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,672 Posts

Whiners gotta have something to whine about.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Because he doesn't fit our team. I agree he is very talented and there are times that he makes big plays for us. Unfortunately, with our O line and play calling, he won't help us. When the play is there he definetly can make it and turn it into a big one, but he dances around in the backfield losing yards consistently if there's not a big hole. Redman and Dwyer showed how to run with this O line. Your right, I doubt he will be around next year, and it's probably better for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner82 View Post
and so does his play on the field by insisting on throwing deep all the time just to pad his own stats.
Hopefully you just don't understand what your saying.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Shaner82? Gotta be one of Mendy's homeboys trying to drum up public support.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
SteelCurtain0815
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15238

Mendy is playing scared. Anyone who has ever played football can easily tell Mendy is afraid to get hit. He doesn't hit the hole with any force. He dances and gets nowhere. Against the Texans, when Mendy went out, Redmon and Moore were sprinting through the holes picking up 5 yards per carry. Even though Redmon averaged 3 yards per carry against the Titans, he was consistently landing forward because he was running hard through the holes. With all that being said, there's no doubt Mendy is our most talented back, and him sitting and watching Redmon, Moore, and even Dwyer run hard will encourage him to do the same and we will see a different running back once he returns.
SteelCurtain0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
shaner82
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Because he doesn't fit our team. I agree he is very talented and there are times that he makes big plays for us. Unfortunately, with our O line and play calling, he won't help us. When the play is there he definetly can make it and turn it into a big one, but he dances around in the backfield losing yards consistently if there's not a big hole. Redman and Dwyer showed how to run with this O line. Your right, I doubt he will be around next year, and it's probably better for him.
So we have one of the most talented RB's in the league, and rather than utilize him properly, we'll just commit to getting rid of him because we don't want to change our terrible play calling? I just don't understand that way of thinking. When the Bears got Forte, they changed their style of play to suit his skills, because they realized he can do a lot of damage in the passing game, but he's not great at rushing up the gut.

The NFL has changed. Teams are throwing to RB's more than ever, yet our RB's get virtually no receiving yards, and rather than adjust our personnel and playcalling, we'll just get rid of one of our most talented offensive players. Makes no sense to me.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #9
shaner82
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
Shaner82? Gotta be one of Mendy's homeboys trying to drum up public support.
I wish, maybe then I wouldn't have to buy Steelers jerseys, I could get them for free.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #10
shaner82
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCurtain0815 View Post
Mendy is playing scared. Anyone who has ever played football can easily tell Mendy is afraid to get hit. He doesn't hit the hole with any force. He dances and gets nowhere. Against the Texans, when Mendy went out, Redmon and Moore were sprinting through the holes picking up 5 yards per carry. Even though Redmon averaged 3 yards per carry against the Titans, he was consistently landing forward because he was running hard through the holes. With all that being said, there's no doubt Mendy is our most talented back, and him sitting and watching Redmon, Moore, and even Dwyer run hard will encourage him to do the same and we will see a different running back once he returns.
He might be. I think a lot of it is because he's not a true power back that will hit the hole as hard as possible. That's never been his style. And in the Texans game, Bruce Ariens finally used a fullback in the second half, that's why we had so much success in our rushing attack.

Read the last paragraph in this article

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_759887.html