Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #51
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 6,836
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 46,439
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts
Default Re: Offensive signatures

they are two different things, the link doesn't take you to anything about the skit. but the two things juxtaposed together makes me assume that Ricardismo isn't suggesting that amputees are hated by God. Monty Python humor generally makes a person think and I assume that is what the phrase is intended for as well.
__________________
i'm not too happy with Sears right now, and on the 4th of July weekend.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #52
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 13,876
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1990
Thanks: 804
Thanked 3,285 Times in 1,404 Posts
Default Re: Offensive signatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus36idf View Post
[

I went to the website, and I can't even find the video in which you posted with it. I clicked the link and it is a argument for wether or not God is imaginary or not. I don't see anything humorous. I say this without any ill will, because it seems I have to precursor it in order to not be taken the wrong way. It is compelling but I don't see literal humor are we on the same page?
the monty python skit they are referring to is the one in Ric's sig. i don't believe there is a connection between monty and the website. if you bothred to read any of the site you'd discover its a debate about the validity of religion and its claim of miracles.
Quote:
"Why won't God heal amputees?" may seem like an odd name for a Web site. The reason for choosing it is simple: this is one of the most important questions that we can ask about God.
The question, "Why won't God heal amputees?" probes into a fundamental aspect of prayer and exposes it for observation. This aspect of prayer has to do with ambiguity and coincidence.

http://www.whydoesgodhateamputees.com/important.htm
religious people give prayer and god the credit for things they deem "miracles" , such as recovery from cancer. the author simply ask why somebody that looses a limb and prays for their lost appendage to be restored never experiences such miracles .

Quote:
Think about it this way. The Bible clearly promises that God answers prayers. For example, in Mark 11:24 Jesus says, "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." And billions of Christians believe these promises. You can find thousands of books, magazine articles and Web sites talking about the power of prayer. According to believers, God is answering millions of their prayers every day.

So what should happen if we pray to God to restore amputated limbs? Clearly, if God is real, limbs should regenerate through prayer. In reality, they do not.
__________________
“If tyranny and oppression come to this land it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” ― James Madison

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #53
ricardisimo
Administrator
 
ricardisimo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lalaland
Posts: 5,420
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15369
Thanks: 312
Thanked 859 Times in 411 Posts
Default Re: Offensive signatures

The point being, you can read a lengthy and dry exposition from some scientist detailing all of her or his reasons for dismissing god in general and Creationism particular, or you can pare it down to one very simple, very pithy question: why does God hate amputees? I submit to you that it's much funnier in that form than "Why won't God heal amputees?"

I'm not going to get into the subject matter of the question (or the site) here. That's another thread entirely. There was a very, very good, high quality discussion over at Planet Steelers that has since gone dead, but it was not only very entertaining, it made me proud to be a Steelers fan. Check it out. Or open another thread here to discuss the merits and demerits of god and religion. I'll be happy to contribute my two cents.
__________________
Why does God hate amputees?
ricardisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #54
thebus36idf
Bench Warmer
 
thebus36idf's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 169
Member Number: 6089
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Offensive signatures

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
the monty python skit they are referring to is the one in Ric's sig. i don't believe there is a connection between monty and the website. if you bothred to read any of the site you'd discover its a debate about the validity of religion and its claim of miracles.
If you read what I was asking Ricardismo you would see I went to the site, and stated just that.

Last edited by thebus36idf; 10-15-2011 at 09:31 PM.
thebus36idf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #55
thebus36idf
Bench Warmer
 
thebus36idf's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 169
Member Number: 6089
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Offensive signatures

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
The point being, you can read a lengthy and dry exposition from some scientist detailing all of her or his reasons for dismissing god in general and Creationism particular, or you can pare it down to one very simple, very pithy question: why does God hate amputees? I submit to you that it's much funnier in that form than "Why won't God heal amputees?"
Your reasoning makes sense to me. Don't take this the wrong way, but why didn't you just say that in the first place?

Quote:
My signature is funny - or rather, the website to which it links is funny - for the same reason the South Park episodes on Mormons, Scientologists, Catholicism, and even atheism are funny
You can see however by your statement that it could be misunderstood as you saying the article itself was funny, or it led you to a humorous link?

your are suggesting however that a person seeing the sig would know all this beforehand. I will say it again I think people should be able to go to a place where we have a common passion for something without being subject to things that could at the surface appear offensive. I realized that isn't my initial statement I will retract that and leave you with this one. Not complaining just stating an opinion.

Quote:
not going to get into the subject matter of the question (or the site) here. That's another thread entirely. There was a very, very good, high quality discussion over at Planet Steelers that has since gone dead, but it was not only very entertaining, it made me proud to be a Steelers fan. Check it out. Or open another thread here to discuss the merits and demerits of god and religion. I'll be happy to contribute my two cents.
didn't expect you too. Thanks for the direction.
thebus36idf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #56
thebus36idf
Bench Warmer
 
thebus36idf's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 169
Member Number: 6089
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Offensive signatures

QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
the monty python skit they are referring to is the one in Ric's sig. i don't believe there is a connection between monty and the website. if you bothred to read any of the site you'd discover its a debate about the validity of religion and its claim of miracles.
If you read what I was asking Ricardismo you would see I went to the site, and stated just that.

"
Quote:
Why won't God heal amputees?" may seem like an odd name for a Web site. The reason for choosing it is simple: this is one of the most important questions that we can ask about God.
The question, "Why won't God heal amputees?" probes into a fundamental aspect of prayer and exposes it for observation. This aspect of prayer has to do with ambiguity and coincidence.
I agree 100%, and am familiar with the content, and the argument. That's not what Ric's sig say's though, and he's explained to me his reasoning.

Quote:
Think about it this way. The Bible clearly promises that God answers prayers. For example, in Mark 11:24 Jesus says, "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." And billions of Christians believe these promises. You can find thousands of books, magazine articles and Web sites talking about the power of prayer. According to believers, God is answering millions of their prayers every day.

So what should happen if we pray to God to restore amputated limbs? Clearly, if God is real, limbs should regenerate through prayer. In reality, they do not.
You know I enjoy the fact that you would like to discuss the matter in a healthy debate. Why did we have to go through all the rigamaroll to get to logical conversation? Not blaming you 100% or anyone else. I said we. Now Ric's took the time to dispute my opinion finally, but I wonder why it seemed to go more towards an attack on me rather than a exchange of ideas. Maybe it was how I presented it, but I certainly didn't mean for it to sound attacking.. Do you really want to debate this logically, because I can respond to it, and as someone whom is new to any other thread but the Pittsburgh Steelers I am not sure if were within the peramiters. Ric's seems to think it's for another thread, and he'd know better than I. But just to give you a quick answer. James 4:4 explains the reason for unaswered prayers
James 4:3
New Living Translation (NLT)3 And even when you ask, you don’t get it because your motives are all wrong—you want only what will give you pleasure.
I can go on for a long time as to the proper exegesis but in short Often the reason prayers are unanswered is it may be of no benefit to him Phil 4:19 God is not obligated to answer our prayers in the affirmative. He will not act in ways that are contrary to his will. The matter is settled he was created that way. Often times amputees even people with no limbs become much stronger in life, and in faith because of this. I could argue God hates ugly people because they feel they are somehow less of a person and go under the knife to change it. God won't magically make them beautiful based on what we think is good, and not good. My sisters doctor said her overcoming stage four cancer was a miracle, and he is of no religious faith. Our prayers God listens to, but is not obligated to answer. God revealed to us the conditions of belief, (Pertaining to Mark 11:24) and the "accordance to his will" in 1 John 5:14 and what it means to do it in Christ's name in John 15:16. The problem with religion today is we take one verse and consider the matter settled. Scripture has to interpret scipture, as it's revealed to us as a whole. That's why I'm not going to sacrafice a animal tonight. I'm sure you didn't want to get into a theological debate, but I appreciate the time you took to elaborate.
thebus36idf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #57
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter
 
Buddha Bus's Avatar
Default Re: Offensive signatures

[QUOTE=thebus36idf;953308][QUOTE=Buddha Bus;953303]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus36idf View Post




So now your saying the above words words don't apply to yourself. That's why I did it and I stated it to make a point as I said when I wrote it. The point was that words offend people. Apparently you were offended by the passive aggresive words like "GOTCHA" and "HURT YOU FEELINGS" they were intented to be as you say hostile. But if you read your very own words this makes you self righteous, and thin-skinned. I wouldn't have used them other than to prove the point. Mind you these are not my words, but yours. I don't think your not intelligent, or stupid. However my words made you feel that way. So by your own admission you should still want to be my friend, because no matter what I say you said it wouldn't bother you. and it most certainly shoudn't have illicited a hostile response. Listen I'm very serious when i say I'm sorry I really didn't think it would go this far. The only reason I did it is because words affect people especially negative ones. Peace

So now I'm self righteous because I retaliated to a personal attack?!? Funny stuff. I said you were being thin-skinned about a couple of general quotes/phrases, not about personal attacks upon yourself. You're damn right I'm going to respond to a personal attack on my intelligence and I did it in kind which you appear to have taken issue with, so I guess that proves you DO have thin-skin. I really don't care what you think of me and, no, I don't want to be your friend. Just because I said nothing you say bothers me does not mean I'd like to chum around with you. That's a really silly conclusion.

You are also making a statement that the words in Ric's and MOP's sigs are negative ones. Why? Because YOU say they are? How arrogant. Just because they question YOUR beliefs, doesn't necessarily mean they are "negative". I find them to be genuinely thought provoking and honest theories to ponder. That doesn't make my opinion right, just as it doesn't make yours right.
__________________

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:08 AM   #58
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter
 
MACH1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Potataho
Posts: 13,923
Member Number: 3236
Thanks: 1,493
Thanked 4,448 Times in 1,669 Posts
Default Re: Offensive signatures

Quote:
So now I'm self righteous because I retaliated to a personal attack?!?
Bad Buddah, Bad.




__________________


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:12 AM   #59
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter
 
MACH1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Potataho
Posts: 13,923
Member Number: 3236
Thanks: 1,493
Thanked 4,448 Times in 1,669 Posts
Default Re: Offensive signatures

I find this signature offensive.

__________________


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:58 AM   #60
ricardisimo
Administrator
 
ricardisimo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lalaland
Posts: 5,420
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15369
Thanks: 312
Thanked 859 Times in 411 Posts
Default Re: Offensive signatures

Somebody ban Mach!! This time he's really crossed the line!
__________________
Why does God hate amputees?
ricardisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts