Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #21
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248
Default Re: Cam Heyward - 17 plays, 1 sack, 1 forced grounding call

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BaileyFan View Post
Obviously not, because there are multiple times in the Texans game that Duane Brown had him turned around and smashed him between another player...heres an idea rewatch those big runs and this time look at the left tackle and watch Eric Winston on the right side...you will see he wasn't holding as much as you think.
I was obviously talking about the Titans game. But if you want to bring up the Texans game, the big runs came from everywhere. The game winning one was caused by Lamarr Woodley himself.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #22
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,117 Times in 608 Posts
Cool Re: Cam Heyward - 17 plays, 1 sack, 1 forced grounding call

I may be wrong but Mario Williams was started early as a rookie, so was Suh, there wasn't any of this two years to learn the system. How in the world do you learn the system from the sidelines, its called insertion into the system, trial by fire. If you look in alot of circles, Williams and Suh are now the "prototype" defensive linemen, why not allow Heyward to rotate, take his licks and learn, it seemed to have worked for Suh and Williams, oh and by the way did "Mean" Joe Green sit for two years????
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #23
PINDEL1
Water Boy

Member Number: 5787

The Steeler way is you wait your turn and be ready at any moment. Playing rookies over qualified vets causes problems in the the locker room, team morale etc.

I am a supporter of Steeler mgmt all the way. They have proved it to me. THey are the envy of 31 NFL teams out there.
PINDEL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #24
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,117 Times in 608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINDEL1 View Post
The Steeler way is you wait your turn and be ready at any moment. Playing rookies over qualified vets causes problems in the the locker room, team morale etc.

I am a supporter of Steeler mgmt all the way. They have proved it to me. THey are the envy of 31 NFL teams out there.
That must have been what they did with Pouncey last year, I sure hope we get to see him pretty soon, must be waiting for something to happen to Legursky. I mean the mgmt did it with Woodson and Polamalu to name a few, tell me where it has ever been said talent waits behind veterans? Thank goodness the Steelers finally had someone retire so Wallace could play!!!!
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #25
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,200 Times in 3,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
I may be wrong but Mario Williams was started early as a rookie, so was Suh, there wasn't any of this two years to learn the system. How in the world do you learn the system from the sidelines, its called insertion into the system, trial by fire. If you look in alot of circles, Williams and Suh are now the "prototype" defensive linemen, why not allow Heyward to rotate, take his licks and learn, it seemed to have worked for Suh and Williams, oh and by the way did "Mean" Joe Green sit for two years????
thank God youre not a manager for a team.

if you dont understand the difference between a team coming off a superbowl run, and a team sucking so bad they get the #1 pick and are pretty much starting the dregs of the league just to win 2 games in a season, then i dont know what to tell you.

mario williams was a #1 pick for a complete peice of shit of a team that had david carr at qb, not a 2X sb winner who had made it to 3 sb's.

joe greene played on a team that went 1-13. of course he was gonna start and "learn on the fly". the steelers had nothing to lose.

you do know the lions went 0-16 just a few years ago, right?

jeebus, how many #1 overall picks do they have starting for their team? 14?
of course suh was going to start. he was a proven, nfl player who earned the right to bew drafted #1 overall. if heyward did the same, and was better than cam newton, im sure he would be starting for the panthers.

but heres the kicker- he didnt and he wasnt.

Quote:
How in the world do you learn the system from the sidelines, its called insertion into the system, trial by fire
i sure hope this isnt a serious question. can you even guess how players even learn the system by studying the playbook or watching game film? if they cant learn from the sidelines, they dont belong in this league. just ask ZIGGY HOOD.

from all indications, heyward is a great study and getting snaps accordingly.

again, the steelers arent running a freaking high school science experiment here, they are on a mission to win the superbowl.

they arent gonna sacrifice the season so a damn rookie can be thrown into the firs just to see if he really "gets it".

i wish more fans would realize and understand that the rooneys are actually running a business with a proven track record and not rolling the dice or playing the lottery in hopes that a single player is gonna "strike it big".

too many people are enamoured with the hype of the draft and "potential and upside"

they quickly forget that young players like polamalu and ben (who were "thrown into the fire") were HUGE liabilities in their 1st AFCC game, despite a 15-1 season.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #26
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,974 Times in 1,849 Posts

Homer

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #27
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,200 Times in 3,492 Posts

Old 10-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #28
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
How many championships have either of those guys won?
Old 10-15-2011, 01:53 AM   #29
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
How many championships have either of those guys won?
I guess you're right. We should have not started Pouncey last year

Ben either in his rookie year. Tommy Maddox would have done a lot better had he not gotten injured.

You guys treat players like they're of the same mold. Sitting Ziggy a majority of his rookie year was understandable. He was basically a 4-3 DT that had to learn how to play a3-4 end. Heyward is not learning the position from scratch. He deserves reps especially with our d-line looking suspect as hell in 3 out of 5 games this year. Everyone here is so general. Like mindless zombies advocating everything the Steelers coaching staff does. "Veteran=GOOD, young players=BAD!!! 6 championships!"

Some of you guys would be appalled at the notion that our non-veterans had anything to do with us being dominant in last week's game.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:22 AM   #30
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
I guess you're right. We should have not started Pouncey last year

Ben either in his rookie year. Tommy Maddox would have done a lot better had he not gotten injured.
At the time, I thought Ben was the best QB in his draft (best player actually). He was ranked as the top QB when the college season ended, but during the off season all the hype in Eli with his daddy getting in the mix and Rivers ... well the Steelers had a great steal at the 11 spot. Ben got his chance because of the Maddox injury. Pouncey had a horrible Hartwig in front of him. I imagine that if Keisel goes down this weekend, Heyward will be in.

Quote:
Heyward is not learning the position from scratch. He deserves reps especially with our d-line looking suspect as hell in 3 out of 5 games this year.
Hmmm, Heyward does get reps during games. Aren't you just pissed he not the starter?

Quote:
Everyone here is so general. Like mindless zombies advocating everything the Steelers coaching staff does. "Veteran=GOOD, young players=BAD!!! 6 championships!"
It's mindless to think replacing proven veterans with rookies is the answer to the team's problems. And I wouldn't say the posters here are "advocating everything the Steelers coaching staff does", but are in line with the greater philosophy of this team: build a solid core, then remain consistent. Yeah, I'll take the Steelers way and their 6 championships (not to mention the franchise with the most wins since 1970) ... because it's proven to work.

Quote:
Some of you guys would be appalled at the notion that our non-veterans had anything to do with us being dominant in last week's game.
Non-veterans and rookies are key to this team's success, but that doesn't mean you just start all your non-veterans. There's no franchise in the NFL that has long term success by dumping their core players year in and year out.

You would have us all believe that John Mitchell and Dick Lebeau sit in their basements looking at pictures of Smith and Keisel and And that Bruce Arians is in his basement every night over Hines Ward and not replacing him with Brown. In fact, Mitchell made a comment during training camp that Heyward was going to have to unlearn some things and learn how DEs play for the Steelers. Mitchell isn't looking for raw talent, he's looking for someone who can execute the duties of a Steelers DE. That isn't going to happen overnight. Even Heyward, after the Colts game, said: "I did some positive things out there, but I still need to execute better".

I liked Heyward in college and loved seeing the Steelers pick him in the draft. I also get pumped seeing the other young guys on this team make plays. But I don't believe the Steelers would keep their winning ways if they just replaced their veterans with those young guns.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote