Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-14-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,116 Times in 4,601 Posts
Default 2011 passing & running stats by formation thru wk. 5

this stuff is a bit more advanced than football 101, but very telling, especially if you want to know what opposing coaches are looking at when they develop gameplans against future opponents.

plenty of times i have been left wondering if our offensive staff even charts and examines i.e. basicly self scouts. sometimes seems like they dont.

for those who have the time to chart and keep these stats and figures I salute you.

for those of you who do, and provide the information for research purposes for those of us who dont, i also thank you.

out of 317 offensive snaps here are our 3 most frequent formations according to steelersdepot-

http://burgh.us/8q5

61 snaps- 1 rb/ 0 te/ 4 wr (10 personnel)
59 snaps- 1 rb/ 1 te/ 3wr (11 personnel)
40 snaps- 0 rb/ 0 te/ 5 wr (00 personnel)

upon hire, mike tomlin said his offensive philosophy was a smashmouth, power running team. of course things change when you have a revolutionary qb as dynamic as ben.

but this offense is a far cry from the old 22 personnel we used to run with jerome, krieder, tuman, and breuner (with hines ward as an additional blocker/ pass outlet).
Old 10-14-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: 2011 passing & running stats by formation thru wk. 5

What does the "10 personnel", "11 personnel" refer to?
Old 10-14-2011, 03:10 AM   #3
steve314
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15690

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
What does the "10 personnel", "11 personnel" refer to?
Looks like the first digit is the number of RBs, and the second digit is the number of TEs.
steve314 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:50 AM   #4
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Not surprisingly, those three formations account for 11 of Ben's 15 sacks. Much more interesting is the yards per pass attempt out of both the 3RB/1TE/1WR set and the 1RB/2TE/2WR. These are their two most productive passing formations, and among their most productive for rushing as well.

You can see why Bruce doesn't want to use them more often. The other team is going to expect us to go the productive route, while at the same time protecting our franchise QB. Not!!! We will so catch them off guard by running riskier, less productive plays. The man is an übergenius, I tell you.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:07 AM   #5
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,283 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Not surprisingly, those three formations account for 11 of Ben's 15 sacks. Much more interesting is the yards per pass attempt out of both the 3RB/1TE/1WR set and the 1RB/2TE/2WR. These are their two most productive passing formations, and among their most productive for rushing as well.

You can see why Bruce doesn't want to use them more often. The other team is going to expect us to go the productive route, while at the same time protecting our franchise QB. Not!!! We will so catch them off guard by running riskier, less productive plays. The man is an übergenius, I tell you.

^^Bruce Arians a couple of hours before games, probably sneaks in a session at half time too

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:04 AM   #6
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

The offense we ran with "Jerome, Krieder, Tuman, and Breuner" wasn't good either. Look around the league. Not only are the best offenses pass happy, but the best teams are too. Two of them are undefeated and the Patriots and Saints have only lost to other pass happy teams.

We can't emulate that because our offensive line stinks, our offensive coordinator stinks, and our quarterback doesn't like to dink and dunk. I think opponents just need to respect our running game. We need to make the most of each of our running plays, not necessarily run the ball more. Smashmouth football doesn't work anymore. That's great if you can take a 12 minute drive and score, but if the other team comes back and scores in 2 minutes and keeps doing it, whats the point?

The Texans did their best to emulate 'smashmouth' against us 2 weeks ago, running down our throats but we still could have won that game. Arian Foster didn't beat us. Our ineptitude on offense beat us. We scored 10 points. If Max Starks were playing (or Jonathan Scott wasn't), I'm about 99 percent sure we could have won.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,026 Times in 2,386 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I always go back to the 18-1 Patriots. That season opened up the flood gates for today's NFL offensive formula.

Why spend a lot of money when you can have 1 down field receiver, 3 to 4 speedy little white guys who will take less money and even your 2 tight ends who are technically wide receivers. You only need 2 to 3 seconds to gain 5 to 7 yards so why bother with employing a full back, employing extra blockers, when you just use timing routes.

Same goes for defense. If your offense can hang at least a 30something burger why worry so much when you only have about 1 to 2 other teams that are capable of hanging that much offense
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

Did I hear that the Steelers wasn't good either? Did you even watch football from 2000-2007?

From 200-2005 an aging Jerome Bettis ran for 5199 averaging, 866 yards per season and had 50 touchdowns averaging 8 touchdowns per season *including 2 1000 yard seasons, 2000 + 2001*

From 2004 to 2007, Willie Parker ran for 4198 yards averaging 1049 yards per season and had 19 touchdows averaging 4 per season *didn't start in 2004 by the way; still had 3 1000 yard seasons in his 3 years as a starter*

Duece Staley added another 978 yards and 2 touchdowns in 2004 and 2005.

A lead blocker like Kreider and great tight ends (like Heath) can really make up for a poor offensive line. Those rushing offenses were amazing with a lead blocker and we will never know how good we could be now...because ARIANS AND TOMLIN don't like that bruising lead blockers anymore.

They think that Carey Davis and a poor run blocking David Johnson are better than a Jon Witman, Tim Lester or Dan Kreider.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
If Max Starks were playing (or Jonathan Scott wasn't), I'm about 99 percent sure we could have won.
So Starks is worth 2 scores? Somehow, I don't think one O-lineman was going to make that kind of difference in the Texans game. The Steelers as a whole were looking pretty sorry and the final score was not indicative of the whuppin they received on the field.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,478 Times in 3,550 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
We can't emulate that because our offensive line stinks, our offensive coordinator stinks, and our quarterback doesn't like to dink and dunk. I think opponents just need to respect our running game. We need to make the most of each of our running plays, not necessarily run the ball more. Smashmouth football doesn't work anymore. That's great if you can take a 12 minute drive and score, but if the other team comes back and scores in 2 minutes and keeps doing it, whats the point?
hopefully that changed after this last weekend. the dink and dunk style of passing got him 5 touchdowns, which should change ben's mentality lol
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote