Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-04-2005, 01:13 AM   #1
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109
Default Time to get Offensive...

I'm going out looking for critics, so here you go. Many team fans say oh we will be fine, but never back it up. Not here at SF, baby! Our biggest thing last year, turnovers late in the season...mainly int's by Ben. Now I can either say we are doomed or tell you why it will be different. Of course I'm choosing the later...

Ben threw picks because teams knew we were throwing on third down. They knew that because they knew we were going to run on 1st and 2nd. We ran on 1st and 2nd because it was the safest bet to gain positive yards. On the the theories(I mean facts)...

Ben now will have a larger playbook which means more options. In MLB if you only have a fastball and an offspeed pitch, more often than not you will throw gas early. Same with Ben last year. We ran early. Not now. We will have Ben reading defense. Ward and El getting separation from DB's who can't jam too much. We will have options of Staley, Haynes, and company on screens. Oh yeah, Miller and Tuman on the corners. First down means good chain movement this year. Also, with Miller added, we will now have a serious threat to help Ben see how the D plays the wideouts. If you don't have serious TE threats, you can play matches and sometimes not account for the TE by a single man. Now with Miller, he can command a player/player matchup which will be visible. This gives Ben more info at the line. More info + more experience = more positive plays. Plus Staley will be more comfrtable with where to run(like right before the injury when he was crushing teams), and Jerome's avg per run continues to go up in his "twilight" years.

So there you go punks. I'm telling you why we are okay this year. Feel the same about your team?
Didn't think so.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:40 AM   #2
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Time to get Offensive...

Another reason, along those same lines, was that teams knew that the Steelers would also try and throw on First down to get managable 3rd situations for Ben and the offense, so they would drop back into a zone defense and bring everybody into coverage, to keep him from getting big chunks of yardage on 1st down, then they knew we'd try and run on 2nd down to get some of that yardage back, and then it was 3rd and long, and they had him right where they wanted him.

That just comes w/ experience, knowing about reading defenses and taking what the defense gives you. That just comes w/ time, and he's had a full year and double the amount of games he used to playing in to get more adept to it. So I look for big things from him this year.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:39 AM   #3
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

"Ben threw picks because teams knew we were throwing on third down."

Ben threw picks because Ben threw picks. It's as simple as that. Now whether or not it's a tendency, only time will tell. I suspect it is, and if it is, you can forgetaboutit. Always a brides maid, never a bride.

How do I feel about our team? Well, 3 out of 4, and counting.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:47 AM   #4
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree a little here. I think Ben threw pics because most of his INT's came on HORRIBLE passes, not bad reads. I'm sure there were a few he should have not even thrown the ball, but the majority were no floaters that were either too high and got tipped or completely missed their target. I think we are giving the opponents D a little too much credit in saying the knew what we were going to do. I think he just made a few bad throws, and you'll have that.
rowedf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:02 PM   #5
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I Think the picks were part of his smaller playbook, which will be increased this year, and so will his role on the team.It took him awhile to really get Hines in the game on a cosistence basis, he was always looking Plax. Then he lost Plax for a bit. And started looking around a little more. He will be fine, he is a smart kid, and very athletic, with a cannon for a right arm. His passes were bad passes at the end of the season, nobody around at times. The rookie nerves and pressure should aliitle, everywhere he went there was a reporter with questions, that won`t change but they way he handles it will, Now he knows what to expect. Big Ben will be a team leader this year! And he will be CO-MVP of this seasons superbowl. Write it down now, hardwork will be butt naked, in downtown Boston.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

To refocus the point, not to debate how Ben threw picks, but giving other teams answers on why its not going to happen this year. I have yet to hear how the browns are going to throw, or stop the run, or anything. Hardwork hasn't given any facts about whether Tom B. will have any go to receivers for sure this year, or if No Teddy B. means no stopping the run. Just got tired of other teams saying oh will win it this year. Oh yeah? How Mr. Smartypants?! Cause if your logic is well we won 3 out of 4, you might as well stop counting now. How about the coaches role? Come on other teams, start backing your teams up with a little more cred.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:56 PM   #7
HinesWard4Life8682
Starter

Member Number: 323

our offense was perfect this year, smashmouth run the ball till the die football
Old 05-04-2005, 04:38 PM   #8
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Hines your right, and its only going to get better, run the football down thier throats with the power running game. eat up valuable minutes. Flatten opposing qb with the Blitzburgh D. Sir Dick Lebeau was just a rookie with us last year, this time around, imagine what he will come up with now. Ben will be better than last year. I hope the pats stick around long enough, so we shove the pigskin down thier throats. hardlyworking, for all we know, you may be just a frontrunner, fairweather fan. anybody can come ain here and gloat after some bowl wins. But this is a Steelers forum, with real fans , Never say die, Bleeding Black and Gold, yinzers from the Burgh. We might not have won the past Superbowl but we are here, talking about all that matters in the NFL our Pittsburgh Steelers!. Write this down hardlyafanworking " We Will Kick Your Ass This Year" but your only a little speed bump on our way to the prize.

ONE FOR THE THUMB
Old 05-04-2005, 07:59 PM   #9
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Ben needs the same type of supporting cast he had last year. Its our philosphy.. Run the ball, chew up the clock, keep the defense honest, and force them to throw in that 8th man in the box so the QB can make easy reads and high percentage passes, mixed in w/the occasional long play to burn them. Play solid defense, aggressive attacking defense, and solid ST play. it sounds cliche, but in reality, when you've got ALL 3 phases hitting on all cylinders, we proved last year, we grind it out or play a shoot out and still beat you.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #10
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

I went through this once before, but I'll do it again.

The two key loses for us this year have been Bruschi, and Andruzzi. Bruschi's loss is tough because he was such an instinctive player. Andruzzi's loss is tough because he was the emotional leader of the OL. Now, we drafted Logan Mankins(a very fiery player) specifically to replace Andruzzi. If this kid can stay healthy, I think he can carry the burden, but we'll see. As for replacing Bruschi? You can't. He was special. So, you move on. But don't think we don't have other run stoppers. I can assure you we do. We just don't have anyone who can do over all what Bruschi did.

As for receivers for Brady? In case you haven't noticed, except for Troy Brown during our first Super Bowl year, Brady has never had great receivers. Hasn't stopped him before, and it won't stop him now.

This season will be a challenge for this team, and that's just what revs their engines. These guys were all hand picked with that very trait in mind.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote