Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
thebus36idf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6089
Default Does Ben's Injury actually help the Steelers

I think the main reason for the Teams success last weekend was because Ben couldn't move. Even his drop backs looked shorter. And when he felt pressure he just stepped up like I see Brady do so consistently. Also Arians had to gameplan for it and it was a success, So well see how it works this weekend. I am always torn by Ben. He is so much better statistically when he is scrambling, but the reason he doesn't get the whistle is because he is prone to fight off tacklers. Maybe just maybe Bens inability to move outside the pocket will catch on, and add some more years to his shelflife.
thebus36idf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248
Default Re: Does Ben's Injury actually help the Steelers

Well Ben is undefeated with the 'super boot' on his foot.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
WickedSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17099

While I hope that this gameplan catches on, I have a bad feeling that BA will go right back to his goofy ways when Ben gets better.

The way they played the Titans last week is exactly the way that teams like the Packers, Pats, and Saints beat other teams. Short drops, quick releases and spreading the defense out.

Here's to this catching on...
WickedSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

He tends to play better hurt. I agree with you about him having a quick release this last game and maybe injury did have something to do with that. Also the play calling was better. The thing is though, Ben doesn't run and move out of the pocket if there is a good pocket there. So many people refer to his "style of play" as a mobile, running out of the pocket QB, but it's only due to the line. I can't ever recall seeing him run out of a pocket that's not deteriorating. This last game the play calling was anchored with shorter quick passes and Ben succeeded with that, he also does very well on long passing plays IF the line gives him time. We'll have to wait and see how things go and how the play calling goes after he is "healed" to answer your question IMO.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
thebus36idf
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
He tends to play better hurt. I agree with you about him having a quick release this last game and maybe injury did have something to do with that. Also the play calling was better. The thing is though, Ben doesn't run and move out of the pocket if there is a good pocket there. So many people refer to his "style of play" as a mobile, running out of the pocket QB, but it's only due to the line. I can't ever recall seeing him run out of a pocket that's not deteriorating. This last game the play calling was anchored with shorter quick passes and Ben succeeded with that, he also does very well on long passing plays IF the line gives him time. We'll have to wait and see how things go and how the play calling goes after he is "healed" to answer your question IMO.
Agreed that's why I thought that arians gameplan changed, because he knew form the previous weeks Ben probably wouldn't have enough time. So it came together well. Where I differ with you a little is with Ben running out of the pocket, granted it's because of a beating he's been taking that's made him uneasy. I however have seen him run outside his blockers and give the defense on the ends a clearer shot at him instead of stepping up looking to throw, or he even taking his eyes off the receivers until he escapes danger then throws on the run. whereas the other great QB's never take their eyes off the feild they just step up a little and throw. But how can I critisize he's been successful, but will take alot of years off his career. Just Like Vick.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Might not take that many years off. Guys like Steve Young, McNair, McNabb etc. were running quarterbacks who took a beating every week. They all had long careers, McNabb's is still going... kinda. I guess you could make the argument that they would have been even longer.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
thebus36idf
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Might not take that many years off. Guys like Steve Young, McNair, McNabb etc. were running quarterbacks who took a beating every week. They all had long careers, McNabb's is still going... kinda. I guess you could make the argument that they would have been even longer.
Man I have a whole new respect for Steve Young after seeing what a beating Ben takes. Was it that S.F. line was that bad or was it more by design. Man it seemed like brady against the Jets stood there with the ball for like 30 seconds and still noone was even close. I suppose that's why he's good. Why is it once a pocket passer always a pocket passer, and once a running QB almost always a running QB. When we have a running QB do coaches just see a good offensive line as just a comodity, not a neccessity? It must be a large part because the QB is just not comfortable in the pocket for very long. As for McNair I don't remember him being as much as a running QB as McNabb, but McNabb suffered alot of injuries that hurt the team, and he's a rock.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
Steeldude
Living Legend

with an immobile BR the brilliant arians couldn't play his al davis game plan. when BR is healthy the offense will be sad once more.

why did the cleveland browns let this mastermind leave?
Old 10-16-2011, 02:07 AM   #9
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,008 Times in 1,867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
with an immobile BR the brilliant arians couldn't play his al davis game plan. when BR is healthy the offense will be sad once more.

why did the cleveland browns let this mastermind leave?
This

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #10
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,284 Times in 571 Posts

Well, even Arians has to realize that things worked very well last week and maybe ... just maybe, he might have learned something from it.

Hope springs eternal.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote