Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,311 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Are the Steelers ready for the challenges ahead?

"The big challenges lie ahead," Tomlin said. "We need to prepare for them."

I'm glad that Tomlin has publicly called out the looming road blocks. Yes - this team needs to take it one game at a time but they also need to realize that out of 6 games - they've only had one "impressive" performance. You could argue that in the game against Seattle the offense had a lot of missed opportunities as we have been discussing on here today as result of the Jags victory. I'm hoping they realize the urgency of the situation they are in. Yes - they are a respectable 4-2 but are far from being able to put together a great game against a great team. I never bought into the Titans 3-1 record before we played them because the Ravens were ripe for the major letdown after dismantling us.

What are everyone's thoughts about the stretch of 4 games leading into the bye? What Ws/Ls does everyone see based on our performance thus far? What do you think we can build on (positives) and what do you think will be still glaring going into break?

To me - they are all ultra tough games. @ Arizona, NE, Balt, @ Cincy. Phew - we got our hands full. I see us going 3-1 with a loss to Cincy. I see D continuing to increase sacks and finally get a bunch of turnovers with the O putting up 1 more impressive performance in that stretch.

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Member Number: 16173
Default Re: Are the Steelers ready for the challenges ahead?

I am not underestimating Cincy but has Dalton had to deal with any defense that has our reputation? Yes, I think we're ready. Need some stuff to work on but I think we could do well over that stretch of games. I worry about NE's offense because we've always struggled against them and the Ravens look tougher than in the past but I think we'll be okay. We won a lot of ugly games in 2008 too.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Re @ the Red Rifle - I can agree with that. However, just to play devil's advocate - based off today's performance we tend to make the young QBs look better than they are and I believe Red Rifle is better than today's young gun.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
steelers33
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17599

Don't worry we'll find out if were for real or not when we play NE and Balt back to back.
steelers33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
Re @ the Red Rifle - I can agree with that. However, just to play devil's advocate - based off today's performance we tend to make the young QBs look better than they are and I believe Red Rifle is better than today's young gun.
You think Gabbert did a good job today? 12-26 109 yards, 1 TD, sacked five times? I hardly call that making young QBs look better than they are not that it hasn't been a problem before but today that wasn't the case. I do agree with you Dalton's the better young QB though. The reason why the Jags were able to stay in the game was Jones-Drew and the idiotic penalty on Mundy but there's a flipside to that too. Dalton's a better QB than Blaine Gabbert is but MJD is better than Cedric Benson at RB. Plus our execution on offense in the second half stunk which I agree needs to improve.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #6
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Gabbert didn't turn the ball over and did what he could. I didn't think it was a great performance - just that as a whole, we gave him more opportunities than what he would have had against a better team. Yup - agree - offense put our team in a bad spot and yup - thanks to our defense we won.

If the great neutralizer to the argument is the difference in the RBs than being @ Cincy rather than at home only adds to the difficulty. Plus - I'd argue that Cincy has better WRs and a much better defense.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
btaylor179
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15251

WE ONCE AGAIN PLAYED DOWN TO OUR COMPETITION AS WE ALWAYS DO
btaylor179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

did you know your caps lock was on?

Old 10-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
Gabbert didn't turn the ball over and did what he could. I didn't think it was a great performance - just that as a whole, we gave him more opportunities than what he would have had against a better team. Yup - agree - offense put our team in a bad spot and yup - thanks to our defense we won.

If the great neutralizer to the argument is the difference in the RBs than being @ Cincy rather than at home only adds to the difficulty. Plus - I'd argue that Cincy has better WRs and a much better defense.
From what I was hearing we nearly picked him off a couple times. He wasn't horrible but I wouldn't say he did good or even ok either. Below average but not epic failure eitehr. You're right though that Cincy has a better D and WR corps. I dunno, I just think of those four Cincy is the one I worry least about. I don't count them out. Hell I don't count out any team but I am more worried about Arizona and to a bigger extent the Pats and Ravens than I am the Bengals who have surprised me thus far though.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

True - almost intercepted. Well - then at the least we "Let him off the hook! He was who we thought he was!" Lol - yes this Arizona game has me uneasy. For every step forward we take 1 week, we take another half step back the following - regardless of W or L.

I know we had a lot of ugly wins in 08' season but their weren't as many questions being raised about the team like their are now. I know, I know - all in due time - but what the heck else am I gonna do on a Sunday night? Talk to my wife!?!?!? Lol.