Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
TAmes
Water Boy

Member Number: 17417
Default Suisham

Lost amid the hand-wringing about the Steelers holding on to today's victory is the fact that if Suisham had made that 46-yd field goal in the 2nd Quarter, the game would never have seemed as close as it turned out.

With the game on the line, does anyone have confidence in Suisham?

What's Skippy up to these days? Might be time to bring him back for a tryout. He made his living in the 40-50 yd range...
TAmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
jwmann2
Water Boy

Member Number: 18374
Default Re: Suisham

All teams have doubts in their kickers. Even in guys like Adam Vinatieri. Great punters and kickers are extremely hard to come by. You have to have leg strength, poise and a great work ethic.
jwmann2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,939 Posts

hell, id just be glad with an offense and its coordinator proving it is capable of scoring more than twice against the likes of JAX on a consistant basis.

we'd probably be better off if we let arians kick field goals and have suisham call the plays.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

im actually happy the game went the way it did. if we played the 2nd half the way we played the 1st all the sport writers would have us right back up there to win the super bowl and i belive the steelers play better as the underdog.

we have a really good team and we just need to bring everything together and hopefully we do that and peak at the right time
Old 10-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
tunes4life
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8219

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
im actually happy the game went the way it did. if we played the 2nd half the way we played the 1st all the sport writers would have us right back up there to win the super bowl and i believe the steelers play better as the underdog.

we have a really good team and we just need to bring everything together and hopefully we do that and peak at the right time
I completely agree with this. It seems like it has been this way for 10 years or so. We always seem to play down to competition and we always play better when slighted. Not sure if that's personnel or coaching.

I do love the occasional blow out game where we can pull the starters at the beginning of the 4th. Does every game really have to come down to the wire?!? I'm getting too old for this sh*t.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,353 Times in 2,065 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Re @ Underdog - Yup, even 08' season when we had the best defense since the Steel Curtain era - our offense played with a chip on their shoulder because of all the talk about how the o-line stunk, which is really what helped them become one of the most clutch offenses out of Pittsburgh I ever witnessed. That year, no matter what - you knew our defense was going to cause the turnover, or Ben was going to seal a final drive to win it. Our offensive philosophy of riding Ben's improv came to a screeching hault in the Super Bowl last year which is why we won't even make it back or win it all unless we can find a way to keep the pedal to the floor on offense.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAmes View Post
Lost amid the hand-wringing about the Steelers holding on to today's victory is the fact that if Suisham had made that 46-yd field goal in the 2nd Quarter, the game would never have seemed as close as it turned out.

With the game on the line, does anyone have confidence in Suisham?

What's Skippy up to these days? Might be time to bring him back for a tryout. He made his living in the 40-50 yd range...
Really? You are trying to put that on the kicker? They were up 17-0 at one point and then Bruce Arians decided to act like he forgot what got him those points the ENTIRE SECOND HALF of the game but you want to call out the kicker...
Old 10-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
SmashmouthFootball
Starter

Member Number: 12020

Suisham is serviceable, but not great. We just can't allow ourselves to put the team in a position where him making 45+ yarders consistently is imperative to our chances of winning the game.

I miss Reeds foot, but he was a knucklehead and too worried about a contract and he legitimately lost us multiple games last year. It was a good call to move on and we shouldn't try to re-visit it.

When we are in field goal range and looking to kick a field goal, we need to play like it. Make an honest effort to gain him those 5-7 extra yards. Avoid penalties and sacks.

Put him in a position to succeed and he's probably not going to shit the bed, but he's not going to go up there and kick 4 53 yarders to save our asses either.
SmashmouthFootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw

I'm not comfortable with our K situation- likely no one better out there or they would already be on a roster, but I would think of the hundred of college kickers last season, someone has to be as good as what we have- if not better. He says the right things about forgetting the past kicks he's missed- but he needs to make his foot do a better job of that IMO
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,228 Times in 3,615 Posts

I would be worried about Suisham kicking in a playoff game at Heinz in January but since the Steelers appear to be at best a wildcard team that is not a pressing concern

It may have been due to the wind but in addition to another missed FG his kickoffs also dropped off in the cooler weather
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote