Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
STEELAMANIA
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8791
Default Ben Will Deliver...yesterday's game plan.

I noticed that the reason why the Steelers took so many shots down field was that they were expecting the Jags to think that they were gonna dink and dunk them to death like they did the Titans.....So the game plan pretty much made sense and it did allow receivers to get open down field a lot but Ben was off target by a few yards on those throws to Sanders.

So everyone who thinks that Ben was getting greedy with all those deep throws...think again. It was part of the game plan.

And to those who think that Ben still holds on the ball too long, yes he still does, but this offense is still trying to get in harmony and Ben will show all the doubters why he is still a winner.....
Old 10-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,444 Times in 1,635 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Ben Will Deliver...yesterday's game plan.

I can appreciate the positive approach while observing yesterday's offense and yes we still have time to work out the kinks but

A. Let's do it while we are winning
B. I'm just a little confused as to how that approach would work seeing that we almost let the game slip away. Its exactly what I've been getting mad at - that approach. Why try to out think yourself instead of doing it until someone can stop it ala Green Bay and New England.

That is the mentality we need to have - impose our style of play until you can prove you can stop it. Not think ahead of time and change our play based on what you may be thinking we might do - it is sabotaging us from getting any chemistry or identity on offense. I know we should game plan to strengths, weaknesses, mismatches, etc etc but even just repeating that approach sounds like someone who is thinking too much. Yes, it is partially on Ben - but why go back to it when you are nursing a 14 or 7 point lead? It is such a low percentage play that is basically wasting a down in tight situations when you should be going for the first down.

Agree to disagree

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I agree. The receivers were pretty open almost every time they threw deep. If Ben makes those throws it would have been a blowout, like the first half indicated. I think the reason so many of us on here are worried about the long bombs is because Arians has a history of calling them all the time, regardless of the plan. Ben will get back on track, I am sure of that, but against great teams we need to stick with the quick passing and running game plan and only take a couple of those shots.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

let's also not forget that the quick passing game can lower the chance of Ben getting creamed or fumbling the ball from getting smothered after 5 to 7 seconds have gone buy and no one is open 30 to 40 yards down field.

Agree to disagree.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Steelfury, I agree about impossing our playing style until someone stops it, but you have to mix it up A BIT. I think they kept calling the bomb because the receivers were open every time. I don't think Arians planned on Ben missing it every single time. I say stick with the short passes and running, but with Brown, Sanders and especially Wallace, we should take that shot sometimes. If we are impossing our playing style and then we mix it up and get a 50 yard TD pass it makes our play style a lot harder to stop.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Absotootley - and I understand - hindsight is always 20/20. I think someone else mentioned about it being the moments when they decide to go down field is maddening. I think that, more than anything is what angered me. I feel like we should have had a lot more breathing room before trying it so often.

Agree to disagree.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

My biggest gripe is when were 1st an goal and come up short handed. Nothing like the emotional rollercoaster ride!....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
SmashmouthFootball
Starter

Member Number: 12020

No QB can hit every deep ball. There's a reason you saw the Colts and Pats all these years with quick-hitting offenses and opportunistic deep balls. Ben is going to miss some, because even if a reciever gets open it doesn't mean he got open in rhythm with what's going on in the backfield in terms of pass rush or if he got open in the right passing lane. Plus when you're talking about throwing a certain distance, inaccuracy is natural for even the best QB's.

We know that Ben has the ability to make the hardest throws in the game in the biggest moments, we just have to hope he's able to replicate it if and when the time comes.
SmashmouthFootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620

I was screaming the whole game to go for the sticks on third down. There is very little play action passing going on either because Arians puts them in that stupid empty backfield set all the freakin time. Talk about telling the other team what you are going to do. You can loosen them up with the long pass but that is meant to open up the middle on most other teams in the NFL. Just chucking it downfield over and over and over on a windy day is just plain stupid. Hines and Heath were open all the time in that first quarter in the middle of the field. But they quit going to them for some inexplicable reason. I hate Arians and his boneheaded doing it his way even though the short passing game is working. I agree with those who say "MAKE THEM STOP WHAT IS WORKING". MOVE THE STICKS and keep the ball for our offense.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,075 Times in 2,614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELAMANIA View Post
I noticed that the reason why the Steelers took so many shots down field was that they were expecting the Jags to think that they were gonna dink and dunk them to death like they did the Titans.....So the game plan pretty much made sense and it did allow receivers to get open down field a lot but Ben was off target by a few yards on those throws to Sanders.

That'll trick 'em!!!

your theory would pretty much make sense if it took out 1 major flaw in the equation- bruce arians brain.

he is the easiest OC in the league for the opponents to "figure out" and gameplan against. they know he will out "smart" himself and do the exact opposite of what is working in some sort of perverse form of self scouting.

he does the opposite of what conventional wisdom says to do. theres no way somebody would continue throwing the ball in 40 mile per hour wind gusts... exept bruce arians.

and when those deep bombs arent working theres no way he would simply go to the high percentage and managable short passes that proved so effective, right?