Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,878 Posts
Default Big Ben not connecting with Brown and Sanders

now why would ben connect on 65%, 70% & 75% of his targets to ward, miller, and wallace (respectively) yet only hit sanders (40%) and brown (46%) of the time?

the pedestrian answer is ben is just not accurate but the 3 veteran ball catchers are proving otherwise.

of course going with the pedestrian answer is usually incorrect and the lazy way out.

some of the ubercouch football masterminds will say brown just needs more targets. miller is targeted 27 times vs browns 39 yet miller still has 1 more reception.

tehn they will say miller has easier short routes ignoring millers 11 ypc vs browns 14. never mind miller making all teh tough catches over the middle in traffic.

http://burgh.us/8v4

we should really forget about team wins, and focus on feeding these sophmores the ball MORE so we dont stunt their development, and fantasy football geeks can finally justify their horrible homer draft selections.

"hines ward is old and his veteran leadership and blocking skills are to be laughed at and mocked."

if there is anything to learn from the vet it is that nothing is just handed to you. you have to go out and out produce the #1's (burress, edwards, holmes) ahead of you.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Goldsteel86
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Default Re: Big Ben not connecting with Brown and Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
now why would ben connect on 65%, 70% & 75% of his targets to ward, miller, and wallace (respectively) yet only hit sanders (40%) and brown (46%) of the time?

the pedestrian answer is ben is just not accurate but the 3 veteran ball catchers are proving otherwise.

of course going with the pedestrian answer is usually incorrect and the lazy way out.

some of the ubercouch football masterminds will say brown just needs more targets. miller is targeted 27 times vs browns 39 yet miller still has 1 more reception.

tehn they will say miller has easier short routes ignoring millers 11 ypc vs browns 14. never mind miller making all teh tough catches over the middle in traffic.

http://burgh.us/8v4

we should really forget about team wins, and focus on feeding these sophmores the ball MORE so we dont stunt their development, and fantasy football geeks can finally justify their horrible homer draft selections.

"hines ward is old and his veteran leadership and blocking skills are to be laughed at and mocked."

if there is anything to learn from the vet it is that nothing is just handed to you. you have to go out and out produce the #1's (burress, edwards, holmes) ahead of you.
I really have to blame this on the coordinator, not enough reps until they are needed, yesterday he went to Heath with success early, later in the game Heath was non-existent. Is it fair to say that the Steelers offensively are really quick to abandon the game plan. I have been a very hard critic on Mendenhall lately but in the first half he looked like an absolute stud. What happened in the 2nd half, game plan abandoned and ohh by the way the Steelers looked to be very one dimensional. The Steelers should have rotated the backfield, fresh legs and then looked to "dink and dunk" they have the personnel to get it done for 2nd and 3rd and manageable. The jury is still out, however, this is not a bad football team by any stretch of the means, they suffer from bad play calling and decisions and a defense that is having to play on their heels.
Goldsteel86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,096 Times in 2,809 Posts

A subtext to many posts by Ed.B. of the P-G is that Brown is not running crisp routes - as for Sanders, it may be a lack of reps in training camp followed by being passed by Brown as the #3 receiver

But IMO it comes back to this season so far being Roethlisberger's worst season since 2006 - he has been off target since week one except for the Tennessee game
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
A subtext to many posts by Ed.B. of the P-G is that Brown is not running crisp routes - as for Sanders, it may be a lack of reps in training camp followed by being passed by Brown as the #3 receiver

But IMO it comes back to this season so far being Roethlisberger's worst season since 2006 - he has been off target since week one except for the Tennessee game
but that doesnt explain why he is a 70% passer when throwing to miller/ward/wallace and only 45% to brown and sanders.

i have noticed that ben is throwing alot of balls to wallace/miller/ward when they arent even looking, before they come out of their breaks. this is a huge sign of maturity and development on his part. he is also throwing alot deep to wallace before he is actually open deep ("when he's even, hes leavin'").

when ben threw the faks spike int vs TEN he was throwin to a spot, not a wr (hines was on board and running out to block).

however i also notice that ben is taking far to much time with reading the defenses at the LOS. maybe its because he is calling out protection schemes for pouncey (something he was supposedly proficient at last year).

i also notice the coaches seem real comfortable with legursky in there, not for his brawn, but for his brains.

bens sudden lack of accuracy on sunday seemed to coincide not only with the winds picking up drastically in the 2nd qtr, but with legurskys departure.

sepulveda said he wouldve rather run than kick that late ball that only went 23 yds. not only did ben and gabberts comp % suffer on sunday in the swirling winds, but so did the PITT and UTES qb's on saturday.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,096 Times in 2,809 Posts

It is more than accuracy - i am referring to failure to hold on to the ball when hit (which has improved since the Texans game) and nonsense like the game changing play at the end of the first half in the Colts game when he audibled from a draw play into a pass to Wallace that nobody got (Kemo was blocking 5 yards downfield) and Scott was blamed for a strip sack when he made the proper block on Freeney

For whatever reason his stats are way down - this from Bob Smizik yesterday

With all but two of the Week 6 games completed, Roethlisberger’s rankings among league quarterbacks were ordinary. In passer rating, he was 12th; yards per game, 11th; percentage of completion, 14th; touchdowns, tied for 7th; interceptions, tied for sixth.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...roethlisberger
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
It is more than accuracy - i am referring to failure to hold on to the ball when hit (which has improved since the Texans game) and nonsense like the game changing play at the end of the first half in the Colts game when he audibled from a draw play into a pass to Wallace that nobody got (Kemo was blocking 5 yards downfield) and Scott was blamed for a strip sack when he made the proper block on Freeney

For whatever reason his stats are way down - this from Bob Smizik yesterday

With all but two of the Week 6 games completed, Roethlisberger’s rankings among league quarterbacks were ordinary. In passer rating, he was 12th; yards per game, 11th; percentage of completion, 14th; touchdowns, tied for 7th; interceptions, tied for sixth.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...roethlisberger

i will concede bens TO's. they have been careless and atrocious (though i still dont blame him for the fake spike).

but in fairness to ben i think smizik is grossly skewing the stats in which his ranking placement is dependent upon 31 other starting qb's.

is ben actually getting worse or are other qb's catching up and getting better?

we have 3 qb's on pace to shatter marino's passing record. rookie cam newton is right behind them.

the usual suspects like shaub, rivers, romo, manning are tossing the ball all over the field.

ben currently has a 90.0 rating. his career average is 92.3.

his career completion percentage is 63.0. he is currently at 62.1. he has 3 seasons right around 66. three around 62., and two right around 60.

he is on pace for about 30 td's. hes only thrown for more than 26 once. 4 times he has thrown for only 17 TD's and once for 18. he is already halfway there.

he is on pace for his 2nd best yardage total, and currently 9th in the league (attempts are still low compared to those higher than him).

his interceptions are right on par for the norm as is his YPA.

i would say ben has shown no signs of regression, and he is exactly who we drafted, who we always have had, and will continue to have.

drew brees is developing into p. manning, d. marino, and t. brady. we are stuck with b. favre/j. elway.

this is a bit disheartening, cause if ben starts his career as a 66% passer, we expect him to be around an 80% passer by now, in his 8th year..

not in this city. not with this offense. not with his style, but if he can make it to 2 more sb's like john, i guess i will take it.

im about ready to accept that he is what he is, but for smizik to insinuate he's anything less is a bit unfair. i would even say it is misrepresentation of the facts.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #7
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Ben's not taking a step back, the first 4 games the O line played horrible and he never threw a non-hurried pass, that accounts for some of the down stats and turnovers. He made some mistakes this last game, but he will reel in those throws and be fine. The wind may have been a factor in the 2nd half, but in the first half it was noticeably calm and he missed some there too. It won't keep happening. I'm guessing Ben probably practices the most with Hines, Wallace, and Miller, they've also been playing together a long time (not so long for Wallace but a decent amount of time on the field). Training camp was short. As mentioned, supposedly Brown is not running his routes correctly and that will play a factor. Overall, he doesn't throw to them that much and when he does, half the time it's a bomb, it will come around with more playing time together, although I'm sure some of it is just the fact that Ben has been off in general.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #8
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
although I'm sure some of it is just the fact that Ben has been off in general.
"fact"???

the numbers say otherwise. ben is a 75% passer when throwing to his main target (which is also his deep threat, which is also typically a low percentage throw).

what you say is a fact, i would call more of a generalized opinion.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:47 AM   #9
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,656 Times in 1,752 Posts

I read at another forum the O disappeared in the second half because of all the TV timeouts.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:58 AM   #10
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
I read at another forum the O disappeared in the second half because of all the TV timeouts.
thats rich.

everybody knows the networks and advertizers dont wanna neglect the HUGE jacksonville fanbase and television draw.