Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Dejan Kovacevic Chat Transcript (expurgated version... the one without the gannet)

Dejan Kovacevic chat transcript

By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Thursday, October 20, 2011
Last updated: 12:52 pm

Dejan Kovacevic: Greetings from Mesa, Arizona, where it's sunny and ... ah, you don't want to know, do you?
Bsteel:
DK: There is grumbling amongst the Steelers faithful about the 2011 offense. We were expecting "The Greatest Show on Dirt" from Heinz Field, but instead have an O that too often can't score, sustain drives, put away inferior teams. The Steelers wouldn't be human if there were not also some grumbling by the defensive players and coaches. Even Coach Tomlin has to be concerned, although he would never say so, publicly.
Dejan Kovacevic: Go no-huddle, I say. I'm totally with Ben on this. Check the blog this morning for my reasoning. I get into it a lot there.
James_San Jose:
Dejan, do you see the Steelers and Steelers fans in for a rude awaking over the final 10 games? By that will they end up losing games we think they should win and missing the playofffs.
Dejan Kovacevic: The next three weeks will tell. No question the Steelers need to win out here Sunday, and the real tests follow in bang-bang fashion with New England and Baltimore. If you see the first-half Steelers from the other day, they'll be OK. If you see the second-half version ...
JAL:
Do you think Mendenhall's 146 yards against Jacksonville was more a poor defense, better O-line playing, or did he just put things together and play harder than in past games?
Dejan Kovacevic: No one will want to hear this, with the news that Doug Legursky will be out a while with the dislocated toe, but Legursky was a big part of that. When he went out, so did the running game. The Steelers were running the bulk of their run plays through the right side. That stopped when Legursky left.
Give Mendenhall credit, too, though. If we're going to rip him when he doesn't hit the holes, you've got to praise him when he does. He ran hard.
JAXMAN:
No huddle or not Ben has to be more consistent. Sunday against the Jags would not have been close if Ben had been on the mark.
Dejan Kovacevic: Totally agreed. But look back at the Tennessee game and how Ben was forced to make quick calls, quick throws because of the ankle. That's what no-huddle looks like. Looked a lot more dangerous than the scrambling version.
Fugitive: Are we witnessing a "changing of the guard" along the Steelers defensive line? Will Smith and Hampton play less when they return from injury and retire after this year?
Dejan Kovacevic: I notice you left out Brett Keisel, who was in a lot of people's changing-of-the-guard plans until he absolutely dominated Jacksonville last week. That should serve as a reminder that maybe not all of these guys are toast.
Overall, yeah, you're going to see more Ziggy Hood, even more Cam Heyward, especially for as long as Aaron Smith is out. But Casey Hampton will play when he's ready. It's not like Chris Hoke would represent a changing of the guard.
Steel Curtain Rising: Does Aaron Smith get his job back when his health returns?
Dejan Kovacevic: Not as much. Ziggy needs to be out there.
Mattysteeler:
Since we didn't hear Timmons number called that often in the Jags game, do you think we be seeing more of Worilds? And move Timmons back to Mack linebacker ?
Dejan Kovacevic: Yes, and yes. Timmons did not fare well on the outside, including against the Jaguars, though not all of that had to do with the change in position. He just flat-out missed tackles. And, really, he just flat-out has to do a lot better than he's done this season.
Worilds has talent. The Steelers like him a lot, based on a lot of what I heard in Latrobe, mostly. This is a terrific chance to show what he can do.
Joey Porter:
How many times do you predict I give 'the boot' after a big play Sunday?
Dejan Kovacevic: Well, there were only five sacks for Porter all of last season, which is why took the huge pay cut. If he's some huge factor, it will be the exception rather than the norm.
Glenn: I read all the articles. I listened to all the commentators after that pathetic second half against Jax. No one mentioned that Arians called a horrible game for the last 30 minutes. Not one slant route to Wallace. Not one pass over the middle to Miller. Yet we saw deep out routes in high winds to Miller and several others. Now Ben comes out and tells the media that he wanted to go "No Huddle". Why does the media continue give Arians a pass? He's a large part of the problem.
Dejan Kovacevic: More labels. What does this "pass" look like? And how do I get one?
There's no question the Steelers were awful offensively in every way in the second half. The next opinion I hear expressing otherwise will be the first. And, of course, that would have to include Arians' playcalling. How could it not?
The Jaguars adjusted to them, and the Cardinals are sure to copy. Let's see how the Steelers adjust back.
I'm sure I'll be hearing from you if the Steelers do great.
Guest: I wonder who would win in a most-unpopular contest: Arians or Tino Sunseri. What are your thoughts?
Dejan Kovacevic: That's not easy right now. I'd have to guess Arians, just because Tino's only a kid.
Dejan Kovacevic: Boom!
That's it for me. Heading over to watch baseball in shorts and sunglasses. Will check in later on the blog, tomorrow with the column and Sunday here from the Steelers game.
Thanks to all for participating!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727
Default Re: Dejan Kovacevic Chat Transcript (expurgated version... the one without the gannet

No one will want to hear this, with the news that Doug Legursky will be out a while with the dislocated toe, but Legursky was a big part of that. When he went out, so did the running game. The Steelers were running the bulk of their run plays through the right side. That stopped when Legursky left.

I agree with his assessment, but not his prediction. Losing Legursky is NOT the end of the world, or our ability to run to the right side-- if you recall, our starting LG is one of the best pulling guards in the game (one of the few things Kemo excels at). And Kemoeatu is supposed to be coming back.

it just stinks that our depth chart on the Oline just got more shallow.....
Old 10-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: Dejan Kovacevic Chat Transcript (expurgated version... the one without the gannet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
No one will want to hear this, with the news that Doug Legursky will be out a while with the dislocated toe, but Legursky was a big part of that. When he went out, so did the running game. The Steelers were running the bulk of their run plays through the right side. That stopped when Legursky left.

I agree with his assessment, but not his prediction. Losing Legursky is NOT the end of the world, or our ability to run to the right side-- if you recall, our starting LG is one of the best pulling guards in the game (one of the few things Kemo excels at). And Kemoeatu is supposed to be coming back.

it just stinks that our depth chart on the Oline just got more shallow.....
That's positive thinking! You don't see a lot of that on these boards. I like it! We'll see if you're right about Kemo, though.

None of these guys seems to be able to stay healthy for more than a few games at a time, and I'm starting to point the finger at Kugler. At some point sub-par line play and perpetual injuries have to raise some eyebrows.