Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-28-2011, 04:21 AM   #1
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default are the steelers to stubborn

Can the Pittsburgh Steelers’ great 3-4 defense evolve to avoid being exploited by the likes of Tom Brady(notes) and other high-profile quarterbacks who have picked the Steelers apart since 2006? That’s the theme Sunday when New England visits Pittsburgh. This is the only game the Steelers have during the regular season against a quarterback who can run the four-wide formation with stunning efficiency.

Troy Polamalu and the Steelers couldn't stop Tom Brady and the Patriots in their last regular season meeting.
(Getty Images)

These are the two most dominant franchises in the NFL over the past decade. They have combined to represent the AFC in seven of the past 10 Super Bowls, winning five. History is nice, but it ignores one significant issue for Pittsburgh: If the Steelers don’t figure out a way to handle the constant spread-formation offenses they face against really good quarterbacks like Brady, Aaron Rodgers(notes) and Drew Brees(notes), their chances of winning another Super Bowl could become extinct.

As noted by Yahoo! Sports before the last Super Bowl, Brady, Rodgers and Brees have lit up the Steelers over the past five seasons. That point was galvanized in a 31-25 loss to the Packers and Rodgers in the title game. Rodgers completed 24 of 39 passes for 304 yards and three touchdowns on the way to being named the game’s MVP.

[ Video: Week 8 Locks of the Week ]

Pittsburgh players and coaches counter that by saying it took a couple of superhuman throws by Rodgers to secure that win. If Rodgers didn’t hit one of two clutch tosses in traffic to Greg Jennings(notes), the game likely would have turned out differently, the argument goes.

That point ignores the bigger picture. Since 2006, the Steelers are 3-6 in games against Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Peyton Manning(notes), Eli Manning(notes) and Kurt Warner(notes). Moreover, they have allowed 30 points or more in five of those nine games and at least 20 in all of them. Those quarterbacks have combined for a stunning 106.3 rating (248 completions on 382 attempts, 2,955 yards, 23 touchdown passes and only two interceptions).

Dick LeBeau, Pittsburgh’s Hall of Fame defensive coordinator, was unfazed by those numbers. As he talked about it in August during training camp at St. Vincent’s College, he seemed more perturbed by the afternoon rain.

“I don’t think you’re going to see a substantial change in how we do things,” LeBeau said, a light smile opening across his face. “Those quarterbacks have hurt a lot of people. That’s why they are so good … I don’t really worry about a lot of the numbers. I only worry about how many points they score and whether we have more than they do by the end of the game.”

Likewise, safety Troy Polamalu(notes) explained succinctly why it’s unlikely for the Steelers to substantially change what they do.

[Yahoo! Sports Radio: John Lynch on Rams, Cowboys and Tebow]

“We’re not built to sit back in coverage and wait for the quarterback to decide,” Polamalu said. “What we do is force the quarterback to decide faster.” He then shrugged his shoulders slightly and said, “We either get there before he gets rid of it or we don’t.”

Mostly, the Steelers haven’t been winning that race, particularly against Brady. In the aforementioned nine games, the Steelers have only 11 sacks. In the two against Brady, they have zero as he has picked the Steelers apart. Brady has completed 62 of 89 passes for 749 yards, seven touchdowns and zero interceptions in two games against Pittsburgh since 2007, when the Patriots started using more four-receiver formations as the base of their offense. New England has won those two games by an average of 17 points.

Vulnerable defense

Over the past six seasons, the Steelers have played nine games against quarterbacks who have led their team to a Super Bowl during that same stretch. Here are the results of those games.

Season

QB

Yards

TD

INT

Sacks

Results

Aaron Rodgers

W 31-25

Tom Brady

W 39-26

Drew Brees

W 20-10

Aaron Rodgers

L 37-36

Kurt Warner

L 27-23

Eli Manning

W 21-14

Peyton Manning

W 24-20

Tom Brady

W 34-13

Drew Brees

L 38-31

Note: Excluded is Kurt Warner’s game against the Steelers in 2007, when he entered the contest as a backup.

The game last year wasn’t as close as the 39-26 score indicated. Pittsburgh was down 23-3 going into the fourth quarter. Brady finished with three touchdown passes, all to tight end Rob Gronkowski(notes), and scrambled for another.

“What the Steelers have always done is try to make the quarterback think faster than he’s used to and force a mistake,” an NFC offensive assistant coach said. “It’s really as simple as that. Now, the way they do it is complicated. They’re erratic by intention. But if you have a quarterback who can think faster than they can, who can recognize the holes in the defense, you can get to them because they’re not going to sit back in a bunch of umbrella zones and rush two people.

“It’s just not who they are.”

At least it hasn’t been who the Steelers have been to this point. One might think that nine straight games of getting torched might cause the Steelers to rethink their approach at least slightly.

[ Related: Sparano’s house in Miami area up for sale ]

Certainly, other teams have taken different approaches against Brady. Last year in the AFC playoffs, New York Jets coach Rex Ryan and his players baffled Brady by dropping into coverage much more than going after him. While the Jets eventually got five sacks and one interception, it was largely because Brady was forced to hesitate so much, not because the Jets got to him so quickly.

Over the past two games, Ryan and his brother Rob, who is the defensive coordinator with the Dallas Cowboys, have done that again. While both the Jets and the Cowboys lost, they sacked Brady a total of seven times, intercepted him three times and held the high-scoring Patriots to their two lowest-scoring games of the season. In fact, it took a last-minute drive by Brady to beat Dallas.

When you throw in the fact that both of the Ryans run primarily 3-4 defenses, you have to wonder if the Steelers might finally take a hint and do a little more coverage.

LeBeau just smiles at the thought.

“We’ve been pretty successful around here for a long time with the way we do it,” LeBeau said
Old 10-28-2011, 04:35 AM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,061 Times in 1,793 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive
Default Re: are the steelers to stubborn

Well for the past decade we've had a defense which is notable for it's ability to put pressure on the quarteback. We've always been a team with multiple sacks, and a feared, physical defense.

When you look at this last decade, one thing we haven't really excelled in, is coverage. We have always had a less than excellent coverage team, and with Brady, you NEED to be excellent at that postition.

Here we are with the number one pass defense in the league. So, do you think it's time we beat this Patriots team? Sure seems like it to me

GO STEELERS!

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:24 AM   #3
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

One of the reason we have been so succefull is we don't change to beat just one or two teams. We have the personell to run the 3-4 so that what we do, while it would be nice to beat the Cheats, changing our entire defensive scheme just o beat them seems counter productive to me. Some of those QB's mentioned on the top are great players who will light up pretty much any defense. We lost the super bowl last season because we had turnovers at critical times in the game. Mendys fumble was critical as we were running the ball well and had them on there heels and of course the pick six.
When playing Brady, Brees and Rodgers we have to play pretty much mistake free football on offense , because they do, if we don't we will have a difficult time winning, no matter what defensive scheme we run.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:33 AM   #4
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,061 Times in 1,793 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
One of the reason we have been so succefull is we don't change to beat just one or two teams. We have the personell to run the 3-4 so that what we do, while it would be nice to beat the Cheats, changing our entire defensive scheme just o beat them seems counter productive to me. Some of those QB's mentioned on the top are great players who will light up pretty much any defense. We lost the super bowl last season because we had turnovers at critical times in the game. Mendys fumble was critical as we were running the ball well and had them on there heels and of course the pick six.
When playing Brady, Brees and Rodgers we have to play pretty much mistake free football on offense , because they do, if we don't we will have a difficult time winning, no matter what defensive scheme we run.
I agree that we don't need to change our entire defensive plan just to beat a team. But our defensive plan, no matter what it is, shouldn't be limited to just beating teams outside of the Patriots and Manning's Colts. Out defense needs to overcome adversity, not dodge it.

When our defense and offense work hard out their, we win. And with our #1 defensive secondary, I have a feeling any adversity thrown our way this Sunday will be conquered.

And it pretty much comes down to, who makes the mistakes. Great post Rick.

GO STEELERS!

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,926 Posts
My Mood: Fine

The past games against GB (SB 45) and Halloween game against NO we kept it pretty close. I think we have been on the right track and maybe finally our offense can do their part by not turning the ball over and getting 7 instead of 3 in the red zone.

I think win or lose - we'll make it a close one - I think this group is too proud to let them stomp them at home again. You just never know - I think the one advantage our team has in this game is that the pressure is squarely on the Patriots to beat us yet again. We're the underdog - which is exactly where I want us to be.

I'd argue our offense is more capable of scoring at this point than the last time we played them plus who knows - we might have some young guys with more experience - that could finally be a great equalizer! We'll find out - have full confidence we don't lose twice in a row in huge AFC games at home.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,376 Times in 572 Posts

I heard a Lawrence Timmons interview claiming that the Steelers tend to go into the same gameplan as they did last year against New England.

And then my butthole puckered up.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I think our coaches are stubborn in the sense that they don't make very good game time changes when it's apparent that the original game plan isn't working.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Timmons should be shadowing Gronkowski the entire game. I doubt they let Gay have another crack at him. We all know he's not too great against tall receivers/TEs. That probably means Gay and Clark will be on Welker with Ike covering Chad.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
I heard a Lawrence Timmons interview claiming that the Steelers tend to go into the same gameplan as they did last year against New England.

And then my butthole puckered up.
I honestly hope not. I remember Woodley clearly saying they just threw away that defensive gameplan after the game.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,491 Times in 2,758 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Timmons should be shadowing Gronkowski the entire game. I doubt they let Gay have another crack at him. We all know he's not too great against tall receivers/TEs. That probably means Gay and Clark will be on Welker with Ike covering Chad.
I'd say put lewis on gronkowski. he's taller than gay and has those long gorilla arms, he has a better chance. timmons is fast but i dont know if hes fast enough to hang with gronk
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote