Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-13-2006, 06:36 PM   #21
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156
Cool Re: Life without a helmet - Ben may have been saved

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black
That is a ridiculous thing to say!

How do you figure that a helmet would limit neck movement?

As a mtn. biker, I can assure you that a helmet is an esential tool for making it through some rides. I have hit my head on trees, rocks and the ground in crashes that have dented and cracked my helmet. I walked away from those crashes with no head injuries... or a broken neck.

You can spin the no helmet thing all you want but, it won't make not wearing one any less foolish.
You're on the mark Bro!

This would have, most likely, saved his teeth from being chipped, his nose from being broken, and his jaw from being fractured, not to mention the 9 inch laceration on the back of his head.

Someone posted earlier about saving his knees. Follow-on reports this morning stated that they were l"lacerations and contusions", translated as: scrapes and bruises. No problems..... it could have been much, much worse. Thank God it wasn't.

Back to the subject though, to quote you "You can spin the no helmet thing all you want but, it won't make not wearing one any less foolish."

Reps to you on this one!
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:55 PM   #22
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Re: Life without a helmet - Ben may have been saved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Steeler
yes it would have, however it was Ben's choice not to wear one and I respect that.
Couldn't disagree more. This is about money not freedom. If you have no fiscal responsibilities then we can go to the Bill of Rights and any other applicable law. But the Rooney's are paying him millions and millions of dollars to be on the field every Sunday in the best condition possible. When you take money from someone and you sign your name to paper the spectrum of rights narrows in proportion to the stakes.

Since you can't go to K-Mart and get a Super Bowl caliber QB the stakes are supremely high. Now you may say the Steelers lapsed when not writing stronger language into his contract and I would would say your 1000% right. But he disrespected the Organization when they asked him to honor the request even if the Steelers forgot to include it in his contract.

If you are one of only say 10 people in the entire world who can play QB in a Super Bowl, then what don't they understand about loss of freedom mixed in with $25-100 million (what might be his next contract)!!!! If you can't find other ways to relax with that size bank account then there is more to the problem. Find a couch or anything other than a motorcycle.

Or give the money back and flip burgers if its that important.

Last edited by Haiku_Dirtt; 06-13-2006 at 07:31 PM.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #23
melroseplace
Team Captain

Member Number: 520

everything happens for a reason. whether that reason is because had he been wearing a helmet he would've been in worse shape, or to prove a point to Ben (and others who don't wear a helmet) we'll never know. all we can do is be thankful that he's alive and will be able to walk (let alone play football again)
melroseplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:07 PM   #24
BigSteelThrill
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck
I'm not saying he wasn't irresponsible, I'm just saying that in this instance, he may have been saved for not wearing the helmet.
BigSteelThrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:43 PM   #25
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
You don't know much about this subject do you? No negative effects could have come from wearing a helmet in this situation. Leave speculation such as this to the people who are trained to do it.
I know enough about the subject. I've ridden and been around people that still ride. I have heard people who are trained to do it, talk about such instances where not wearing a helmet has been a benefit to the rider after an accident.

However, I will admit that it's normally the exception, not the rule.
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:45 PM   #26
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelShooter
You're on the mark Bro!

This would have, most likely, saved his teeth from being chipped, his nose from being broken, and his jaw from being fractured, not to mention the 9 inch laceration on the back of his head.

Someone posted earlier about saving his knees. Follow-on reports this morning stated that they were l"lacerations and contusions", translated as: scrapes and bruises. No problems..... it could have been much, much worse. Thank God it wasn't.

Back to the subject though, to quote you "You can spin the no helmet thing all you want but, it won't make not wearing one any less foolish."

Reps to you on this one!
Just to reiterate, I never said that it wasn't foolish not to wear the helmet.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:41 PM   #27
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2142

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog
I don't imagine that the 62 year-old lady in the car set out that day to run over a Super-Bowl quarterback.

Accidents happen. That's why helmets are a good idea.

no I dont think she did however she should have been more aware of what is going on around her what if that was a kid on a bicycle instead of Ben or someone puching a baby across the street....

and even if he had a helmet on we would still be talking about his knee's along with his neck
Old 06-15-2006, 07:39 AM   #28
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Check out www.kdka.com

They have a video dated 6/14 where they ask "professionals" about the helmet in relation to this accident. There is a dental/facial doctor who argues that a helmet could have been more damaging.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:54 AM   #29
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Sorry, date of video is 6/13
Old 06-15-2006, 10:00 AM   #30
caseydog
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1361

One other thought.

This whole discussion is happening because it was Ben Roethlisberger who got hurt in a bike crash. But, I hope the Ben "Smiths" out there who work regular jobs and ride motocycles are paying attention.

I cringe every time I see some 20-something kid on one of those Japanese crotch-rockets zipping down the freeway in jeans and a t-shirt, and no helmet.

When I heard about Ben's accident, my first thought was not how it would effect the Steelers, but whether he was going to be another young man living the rest of his life with the horrible consequences of a bad choice.

CD