Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-13-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts
Default SI Article - Ben Is Not Conventional, But a Winner

Interesting SI.com article today on how Ben's somewhat undisciplined style on the field (and virtually undisciplined style off the field) is central to him being the player he is.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

Peyton Manning would be less worry for a fan, but Robo QB still does not have a ring.

I guess we have to take the bad with the good when it comes to Ben. Hopefully this will help Ben realize taking chances is not the same as being foolish.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #2
steelcity984
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2312
Default Re: SI Article - Ben Is Not Conventional, But a Winner

Good article.
steelcity984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
mymaveric
Water Boy

Member Number: 471

Excellent article. Just goes to show why Big Ben's one of my favorite non-Cowboys in the NFL.
mymaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Haha great article.Announcers are always talking about players being a "student of the game".

Yeah,watch film...film shows stuff but on the field everyone has instinct,and you can't see that on film.

That's one thing I love about Polamalu,film doesn't show anything about him except that he's one of if not the best saftey in the league.He rushes the QB from the saftey position or from the LB/DE position.He covers man-to-man from those positions and zone from those positions.

I also loved the Manning jabs,I just can't stand him for some reason.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:51 PM   #5
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
Interesting SI.com article today on how Ben's somewhat undisciplined style on the field (and virtually undisciplined style off the field) is central to him being the player he is.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

Peyton Manning would be less worry for a fan, but Robo QB still does not have a ring.

I guess we have to take the bad with the good when it comes to Ben. Hopefully this will help Ben realize taking chances is not the same as being foolish.
Thats a good point about Ben and his undisciplined style. Your right that probally has alot to do with him being the player he is. But he still has to be smart. I concur about robo QB. Manning is like watching a robot. But I'm surrounded by Colts fans and I have put up with the Peyton Manning love fest everyday.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

I'm not sure what to think of the article except that his snooze-off rate is decreasing with age. Manning is basically the offensive coordinator - he wouldn't have it any other way. And he likes to throw his O-line under the bus to the media. Nice Guy.

Ben is in Whiz's system. I can't help but think how scary he could be if he did get a little more tape time in. Like Cowher said it will come don't force feed him. That would be like sticking a running hose in his ear.

Again! Another reason why Helmet-Gate is so emotional and angering because we want to see this unfold. He is just only scratching the surface.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,883 Times in 4,504 Posts

cowher has this image of a hard ass but anyone notice how he cancelled the final day of practice in the o.t.a.'s? he dont force ben to watch film, and he didnt tell ben to quit riding a bike or to even wear a helmet. out of his own mouth, he said he talked to ben like a concerned dad would. look at how cowher interacts with his players on gameday. he is trully a players coach.

cowher lets his players run their lives just like the rooneys let cowher run their team. granted cowhers x's and o's coaching has been questionned in the past but it takes much more than just that to be a great coach. hes finally got great assistants in place to go along with the franchise qb. (put your foot down NOW bill, and ben: ; dont put your coach in the position to HAVE to put his foot down)

one of the reason people are so high on miami this year is not only the franchise qb and promising HC, but is the 2 assistants with head coaching experience. mularkey and capers. both cut their teeth with cowher and the steelers.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote