Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-31-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Patriots defense a horror

(The Cheat defense wasn't the only "horror" out there. Though in the case of Shady Brady and Belicheat I'd spell it with a "w". - mesa)

Patriots defense a horror
Monday, October 31, 2011
By Dan Shaughnessy, Boston Globe

Watching the Patriots beat the Steelers at Heinz Field used to be one of those certainties of life; like Springsteen selling out the Meadowlands in less than an hour. In the immortal words of Pedro Martinez, the Patriots were the Steelers' daddies.

No more. The Steelers spanked your football team Sunday, walking out of the Big Ketchup Bottle with a 25-17 victory that felt like a blowout.

"It wasn't our best day out there," said Tom Brady, who came into the afternoon with a 6-1 career record against the Steelers.

Amen, brother Tom.

Looking back now, it's hard to believe the Patriots were favored in this one. New England is a 5-2 football team, but the Patriots have been artificially enlarged by opponent gaffes, perhaps owed to the intimidation most coaches feel when in the presence of Bill Belichick.

Think about it: other than Rex Ryan most of the coaches bow at the altar of the Hoodie and it makes them do dumb things. Players, too. They all turn into puddles in the presence of New England's institutional greatness and that's how you get Jason Garrett playing not to lose, Jason Campbell throwing the ball to the wrong team, and Norv Turner doing what Norv Turner does.

The Patriots have some to gratefully rely on this kindness of strangers and that is how they came to be a team that once again looks like a first-round playoff suspect.

The bend-but-don't break defense looks broken into a million little pieces.

Belichick certainly knows a lot more about football than any of us will ever forget, but we have to wonder about the conga line of experienced defensive backs who've been cut loose since the end of training camp. First it was big ticket James Sanders. Then it was two-time pro-bowler Brandon Meriweather. And last week it was $3.9 million dollar man Leigh Bodden.

Cutting payroll and experience, the Patriots have left themselves with a suspect crew of defensive backs, bound to be exposed when you don't have a pass rush.

Everyone throws for 300 yards against the Patriots. Ben Roethlisberger rang up 365 yards and converted 10 of 16 third downs.

All Tom Brady could do was watch . . . literally. The Steelers offense was on the field for 39:22, which left the Patriots with a time of possession of 20:38.

In other words the Steelers had the ball twice as much as the Patriots.

The New England defense was so bad that Belichick elected to go with a on-side kick with the Patriots trailing by six with 2:40 remaining in the game.

Got that? The Patriots had a three timeouts, plus the two minute warning in front of them. All they needed was one three-and-out and Brady would get the ball back for one of those game-winning drives.

Unfortnately, Stephen Gostkowski's on-side kick looked like the old Charlie Brown, Lucy takeaway play. Gostkowski's dribbler didn't go the necessary 10 yards and for all practical puproses, the game was over.

Try to remember that this is not one of the better Steeler teams you have seen. The Steelers are 6-2, but Sunday was the Steelers' first quality win. The other five victories: Seattle, Indianapolis, Tenessee, Jacksonville, Arizona.

In a year in which there is no dominant team in the AFC, the Pats and Steelers could very well meet again in the playoffs. There would be some nice symmetry to that matchup. The Patriots like to think of themselves as the dynasty of the 21st century, but since New England last won a Super Bowl the Steelers have appeared in the Roman Numeral game three times, winning twice.

Dan Shaughnessy writes for the Boston Globe.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11304...#ixzz1cMBHIO33
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,949 Times in 1,912 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Patriots defense a horror

Thanks for the news from the losing side.

What Mr. Boston Globe fails to mention is that their wins are against

Dolphins (winless)
Chargers (4-2 with wins against Vikings, Chiefs, Dolphins, Broncos)
Raiders (mediocre 4-3)
Jets (the best team they faced IMHO) that is also 4-3
Cowboys (overrated 3-4)

So exactly why are we talking teams beaten ? We just beat you - shut it already lol this is a non factor and the most laughable part is that they said this isn't the best Steelers team they faced - well guess what - it is certainly the most explosive Steelers team offensively they've faced so the guy doesn't know squat.

Much like the team, the fans just can't stop finding reasons except for the obvious one - that we are the better team

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

good article. But the one thing i hated about living in NE when i did (thankfully i don't anymore), was that even when their press HAD to write in defeat or acknowledge a loss, they always have to throw some disparaging shot in there (beginning of article : Pats were the Steelers daddies). Always. They always have to throw "something" in..
Those people were the rudest, nastiest, most miserable people i've been around in my life.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,949 Times in 1,912 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I dunno - I live in MD - there are some pretty miserable Ravens fans down here crapping themselves after witnessing a near meltdown against the Cards and seeing us solve the Cheats.

They know we are primed for some good old fashioned revenge.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Quasar
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7371

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Try to remember that this is not one of the better Steeler teams you have seen. The Steelers are 6-2, but Sunday was the Steelers' first quality win. The other five victories: Seattle, Indianapolis, Tenessee, Jacksonville, Arizona.
Uh, Tennessee has a winning record (4-3), and Pittsburgh beat them 38-17. How is that not a quality win?
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
Uh, Tennessee has a winning record (4-3), and Pittsburgh beat them 38-17. How is that not a quality win?
We blew them out too, not just a win.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,439 Times in 2,737 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

tennessee is a good team. they aren't champion caliber but will probably be 9-7 or 10-6 and wild card. that is a quality win.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,032 Times in 1,780 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

I guess Halloween is a good time to show off your horrific defense, right? I wonder how many steelers fans dressed as cameras!

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote