Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023
Default Hate to say this, but is it possible that Farrior's absence really helped us?

Just looking at the facts here - Sunday was by far our best defensive performance this season, against by far the best offense we have played. I was surprised to see Slyvester getting in because he hasn't been used at LB at all by us to my knowledge, and then to see Carter getting in there...perhaps the fresh, younger legs made the difference?

Farrior is one of my top 3 favorite Steelers of all-time, he's been a great leader and the heart and soul and brains of this D for a long time now. It's sad to see our vocal leader lose a step, but it is of course unavoidable. Does anyone know if he's expected back this week? I would never be against that, we still need him out there no matter what anyone says. Hopefully the whole D has now been lifted to the level of excellence we're accustomed to.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
STEELAMANIA
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8791
Default Re: Hate to say this, but is it possible that Farrior's absence really helped us?

Farrior is nursing a torn calf, so i don't really expect him to be rushed in too soon, plus Tomlin is kind of letting the young bloods get their feet wet, breaking the veteran loyalty garbage thats been haunting the defense for too long.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659
Default Re: Hate to say this, but is it possible that Farrior's absence really helped us?

I'm thinking this win has more to do with Lebeau changing the scheme and confusing the Patriots than it does having Foote filling in for Farrior. Those defenders played a hell of a game, but that shouldn't be taken as an indictment against Farrior. But if there's an argument against Farrior here, I'd say that same argument should be made against Harrison as well.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,971 Posts

sylvester is definitely faster and won't be as much of a liability in pass coverage. however i think farrior's abscence would be more apparent vs a running team, which the ravens are. the jury is still out on sylvester.

foote had himself a good game. he's not the most gifted athlete but he's rarely out of position
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELAMANIA View Post
plus Tomlin is kind of letting the young bloods get their feet wet, breaking the veteran loyalty garbage thats been haunting the defense for too long.
I think Tomlin would disagree with you on this point. He'd pull out the old saying: "The standard is the standard". Timmons was starting over Foote. Gay was starting over McFadden. Lewis was playing more nickel. I don't believe the coaches were stuck in that loyalty to veterans when it comes to playing time and starters.

Playing man, press coverage is more straight forward than the complicated zone blitz scheme the team usually employs. So the beauty of the switch to the new scheme was that it made it easier for the younger guys to succeed.

In a game where the secondary has a ton of pressure playing man, I think the coaching staff did a great job rotating players in, both young and old (eg: Allen). They threw everything at the Patriots offense including the kitchen sink. As a Steelers fan, I'm not thinking this a case of old versus new. I'm excited to see this team has a very good 53 man roster that can maintain the standard regardless of who goes down or who is called to as relief.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELAMANIA View Post
Farrior is nursing a torn calf, so i don't really expect him to be rushed in too soon, plus Tomlin is kind of letting the young bloods get their feet wet, breaking the veteran loyalty garbage thats been haunting the defense for too long.
Define "haunting." We made the Super Bowl last season, albeit we were ill equipped to handle their passing game but a lot of that was on the secondary, and I dont think anyone would say that Gay was in their or Troy or Clark or Ike because of "veteran loyalty." If our defense, which almost set a rushing yard record just last year, has been haunted, I'd bet there are 31 other teams who would like to have the same problem.

The truth is, we are doign what we always do and that's drafting well and plugging in at spots where veterans can't perform anymore. Ziggy for Smith, Lewis is climbign up the ladder in place of McFadden, Slyvester and Worilds are getting prepared to step in for Harrison and Farrior...this is what we do, and we do it better than anyone.

As for Foote, we always say that he's a great guy but he gets a lot of criticism for us fans. That play he made Sunday on the goal line, even though they scored anyway, was one hell of a hard-nosed, tough football play. Really softened me on him.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,842 Times in 2,096 Posts

someone asked something similar of bouchete in his weekly chat.

SteelMen75: Ed, I know it's tough but don't you agree it's not all bad losing Woodley, Harrison, and Foote for a few games so we evaluate young talent like Sylvester, Carter, and Ivy. Steelers defense is aging and going into 2012 draft, don't you think the Steelers need to have a better idea of what defensive positions are critical to address. Do you see the Steelers maintaining their AFC North supremacy next season without gaining at least 4 and possibly 5 new quality starters on defense, either through a combination of 2012 draft and/or current roster?

Ed Bouchette: You're kidding, right? Lose your best linebackers against Baltimore so you can evaluate the young people. This is November 1 not April 1, so I'm guessing this is no joke?

i agree with ed.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
someone asked something similar of bouchete in his weekly chat.

SteelMen75: Ed, I know it's tough but don't you agree it's not all bad losing Woodley, Harrison, and Foote for a few games so we evaluate young talent like Sylvester, Carter, and Ivy. Steelers defense is aging and going into 2012 draft, don't you think the Steelers need to have a better idea of what defensive positions are critical to address. Do you see the Steelers maintaining their AFC North supremacy next season without gaining at least 4 and possibly 5 new quality starters on defense, either through a combination of 2012 draft and/or current roster?

Ed Bouchette: You're kidding, right? Lose your best linebackers against Baltimore so you can evaluate the young people. This is November 1 not April 1, so I'm guessing this is no joke?

i agree with ed.
The way I look at it is this. We NEED to win this game. As far as i'm concerned, no other game matters at this point. The LAST thing we need to be doing is evaluating young guys performances. We're not looking forward to next year, unless it's February that's lying ahead.

When someone get's hurt, the next string goes in. Simple enough. Ed's right, anyone who's looking that far forward has clearly lost hope in what's to come for the 2011 season.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 1,802 Times in 1,056 Posts

all i know is farrior, ward, and batch all have the look of future coaches..

and we brought back lake so it could be possible further down the line...

sorrry got off topic lol
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote