Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-13-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default McNair calls first Ravens practice 'mind boggling'.....

OWINGS MILLS -- Steve McNair has three months to learn a new football language. He took his first tentative step Tuesday when he practiced with the Baltimore Ravens.

Steve McNair
Quarterback
Baltimore Ravens

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Att Comp Yds TD Int Rat
476 292 3027 16 11 82.4

"It's mind boggling right now," said McNair, who signed a five-year contract worth a maximum $32 million. "I think the verbiage is the most important thing right now. Once I can feel comfortable and visualize the formation and the routes that they're running, things will be OK." But, he added, "It's like starting all over again."

The Ravens traded a fourth-round draft pick to the Tennessee Titans for McNair, sending the veteran quarterback back to the classroom for his most urgent cram session since he entered the league 11 years ago. The Ravens open the regular season against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sept. 10.

A three-time Pro Bowl selection, McNair often appeared hesitant Tuesday. He completed his first pass in team drills to tight end Todd Heap, but struggled at hitting receivers in stride. One late, errant pass was nearly intercepted, but defensive back Robb Butler dropped the football.

"He was thinking a lot," Ravens coach Brian Billick said of McNair, a 2003 NFL Co-Most Valuable Player. "He looked a little like a rookie coming out here. Obviously, he's got a lot to absorb right now."

McNair acknowledged that the experience was a bit confusing and that it felt a bit strange to wear a No. 9 purple jersey after spending his career with Tennessee.

The Titans plays kept flashing through his head.

"I had a few mishaps out there," McNair said. "I think I used one of my calls I had last year with the Titans. I told the guys to just be patient with me."

McNair plans to meet regularly with offensive coordinator Jim Fassel, who adjusted his vacation plans to get McNair up to speed before training camp in Westminister, Md. on July 30.

One major point of emphasis for McNair will be learning the Ravens' pass protection schemes. That's for his own safety.

"A confused quarterback is usually confronted with a barrage of blitzes. If he's confused about protections, that's when he's going to get whacked," Fassel said.

The Ravens plan to accommodate their offense to suit McNair's strengths. Entering his 12th season, McNair usually operates as a pocket passer.

"Learning a new system is a lot easier for a receiver than a quarterback, but I don't think it will take him that long," said Derrick Mason, who led Baltimore in receptions last season after eight seasons playing with McNair and the Titans. "He's shown the ability to adapt."

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:57 PM   #2
CAH
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 2409
Default Re: McNair calls first Ravens practice 'mind boggling'.....

Makes you wonder about Vinny Testaverde. He has travelled to so many teams and ends up looking like he was always with that team. I give him a lot of credit there. Tough job.
CAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

I always liked Steve McNair. It sucks he is a Raven now. For all the teams for Steve to go to. Why the Ravens? I hate the Ravens. I have root for the Steelers to kick Steve's ass twice a year now. It is really strange seeing him in Raven purple.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:55 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,019 Times in 4,561 Posts

it does suck. the steelers must crush him. (so much for the mcnair oilers throwback jersey i bought 2 years ago)
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:59 PM   #5
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156
Cool Re: McNair calls first Ravens practice 'mind boggling'.....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................................... ....

He thinks it's mind-boggling now? Wait til he is trying to remember the new scheme while running from Joey Porter and OOOOPS! WHAM!!! Where did Troy come from?

All without the benefit of his Titans around him..........................nuttin' but a bunch a little mangy crows between us and him now.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:03 AM   #6
BlacknGold Bleeder
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1254

He'll learn the system he's a professional... to bad he's on a Arena league team...
Old 06-14-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I think he'll have a fairly steep learning curve...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote