Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ravens know Steelers have rebounded surprisingly well since beat down

Ravens know Steelers have rebounded surprisingly well since beat down
Wednesday, November 02, 2011
Jeff Zrebiec, Baltimore Sun

John Harbaugh - "It's Ravens-Steelers. We know how to play that game, they know how to play that game."

As he listened to quarterback Joe Flacco speak to reporters and waited his turn at the podium after his team's 30-27 comeback victory Sunday against Arizona, Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh stole a couple of quick glances at a corner television, which was tuned in to the Steelers-New England game.

For the rest of this week, there will no ambiguity to where the focus lies.

While always entertaining linebacker Terrell Suggs may have been overstating things slightly when he guaranteed that the "whole NFL shuts down just for that game," there is no question that the Ravens-Steelers prime-time showdown Sunday night at Heinz Field not only will add another chapter to arguably the league's most intense rivalry, but it could go a long way in determining the winner of the AFC North.

"It's a big game," said Harbaugh. "It's a game that we love to play in. It's Ravens-Steelers. We know how to play that game, they know how to play that game. We're looking forward to it. I do know that."

The Steelers, who haven't had their open week, lead the division with a 6-2 record; both the Ravens and the surprising Cincinnati Bengals stand at 5-2. Two weeks after they finish the regular-season series against the Steelers, the Ravens will play host to the Bengals.

The Steelers, meanwhile, will be in Cincinnati next weekend, then home against the Bengals Dec. 4. So, over the next five weeks, there is a good chance that the division hierarchy will become clear.

"As you go down your schedule and the games build up, they all become important, but this certainly is a huge game coming up this week," said linebacker Jarret Johnson.

The Ravens started the season with a 35-7 drubbing of the Steelers, forcing a team record seven turnovers, including five by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. A season-sweep of their rivals could be huge later this season with the division championship and a first-round bye in the playoffs potentially on the line.

Such a result, however, would be rare. Not only have they won just one of their past six games at Heinz Field, the Ravens haven't taken both regular-season games from the Steelers since 2006, which was also the year the team last won the AFC North.

The Ravens tried to say the right things after their 28-point beat down of the Steelers Sept. 11 -- their largest margin of victory in the 34-game series -- because they knew that Pittsburgh would bounce back and they would have to go through them again this season, this time at Heinz Field.

It, would have been hard, however, to envision the Steelers responding so well to the season-opening loss. They have won four consecutive games, beating the two teams that defeated the Ravens (the Tennessee Titans and Jacksonville Jaguars), the same Cardinals team that had the Ravens in a 24-3 hole deep into the second quarter Sunday, and the Patriots.

The 25-17 victory against New England might have been the Steelers' most impressive performance yet as Dick LeBeau's defense, labeled too old and slow after Week One, held Tom Brady and the Patriots to 213 total yards, and Roethlisberger threw for 365 yards and two touchdown passes.

In six games since throwing one touchdown pass and three interceptions against Baltimore, Roethlisberger has thrown for 13 touchdown passes and four interceptions.

"They're the same team," said Harbaugh. "They've got injuries, they got adversity that they've been battling. I think they're the same Steelers that they've always been. They're a tough, hard-nosed team. They've got a great quarterback and a great defense and they're as physical as can be. It's a team we respect."

The Steelers questioned whether that was the case after what they believed was an attempt by the Ravens to embarrass them in the first meeting between the two teams. The Ravens went for a two-point conversion to make it 29-7 early in the third quarter, and Flacco threw the ball to the end zone with a 32-7 lead late in the fourth quarter. The Steelers defensive line also accused the Ravens of throwing chop blocks.

Safety Ryan Clark has been one of the more outspoken Steelers, making reference to Harbaugh raising his arms exhorting the crowd and several Ravens dancing on the sideline in the later stages of that game.

"We'll remember everything," Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said after the game.

Ward, one of the main figures in the rivalry, sat out the game against New England with an ankle injury but is expected return to practice today.

"A lot of guys won't get to play because they are hurt, but, sure enough, 'Sizzle' will be there," said Suggs who has 131/2 regular-season sacks against the Steelers, the most any active NFL player has compiled against them. "I get to go into Heinz Field and be the bad guy. It's going to be fun, but you know, they are going to go after me. We're going to have fun, though."

"I get to go into Heinz Field and be the bad guy. It's going to be fun ... "

-- Terrell Suggs

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11306...#ixzz1cY3y71Fg
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts
Default Re: Ravens know Steelers have rebounded surprisingly well since beat down

Soooo, after the Steelers beat the Ratbirds again this week, is John gonna blame it on how he let it go again?
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
bobby jr
Banned

Member Number: 15696
Default Re: Ravens know Steelers have rebounded surprisingly well since beat down

Sorry guys but the Steelers are going to be blown out again by the Ravens.

I've seen a lot of NFL games in my lifetime and I've learned that when a team is "owned" the way the Steelers were on 09/11/11 in Baltimore, it is quite unlikely they will come back and beat the team that destroyed them, in a rematch.

As an example look at 2006. The Ravens humiliated the Steelers 27-0 in the first game in Baltimore. Then in the rematch later that season the Ravens won by an even wider margin, 37-7 in Pittsburgh.

Like it or not, seeing the Steelers secondary being lit up by Flacco, and having Ben spend most of the game picking himself up off the turf is probably going to to happen again. Because the matchups favored the Ravens in the first game in 2011 and they will in the 2nd game too.

The Steelers best hope this season, and it's a faint one, is that they back into the playoffs by beating weaker teams that the Ravens looked past, and lost to. Because the Ravens have the Steelers number this year in the head to head matchup. And the Steelers will be 0-2 VS their rivals this year.

Harbaugh is just playing psychological games on the Steelers, and avoiding giving them bulletin board material.
He doesn't want to get the Steelers psyched up thus he encourages his players talk about how the Stgeelers have rebounded

But the end result will be the same. The Steelers will likely suffer another embarrassing loss. This time at home.
bobby jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby jr View Post
Like it or not, seeing the Steelers secondary being lit up by Flacco, and having Ben spend most of the game picking himself up off the turf is probably going to to happen again.
Based on what? The mighty Flacco shitting the bed on the road against the Jaguars, or almost blowing it at home against the Cardinals? Dude's played like warmed over shit ever since their "Super Bowl" in week one. If you'd taken the time to look up from sucking him off constantly in the last 2 months you'd know that.

Go away, assclown.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,605 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:

I've seen a lot of NFL games in my lifetime and I've learned that when a team is "owned" the way the Steelers were on 09/11/11 in Baltimore, it is quite unlikely they will come back and beat the team that destroyed them, in a rematch.
yeah you've seen a lot of nfl games in your lifetime, but you must have missed the jets beating the patriots in the playoffs last year, after getting beat by a bigger margin than the ravens beat us by. you're a ****ing idiot
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:

As an example look at 2006. The Ravens humiliated the Steelers 27-0 in the first game in Baltimore. Then in the rematch later that season the Ravens won by an even wider margin, 37-7 in Pittsburgh.

Like it or not, seeing the Steelers secondary being lit up by Flacco, and having Ben spend most of the game picking himself up off the turf is probably going to to happen again. Because the matchups favored the Ravens in the first game in 2011 and they will in the 2nd game too.

The Steelers best hope this season, and it's a faint one, is that they back into the playoffs by beating weaker teams that the Ravens looked past, and lost to. Because the Ravens have the Steelers number this year in the head to head matchup. And the Steelers will be 0-2 VS their rivals this year.

Harbaugh is just playing psychological games on the Steelers, and avoiding giving them bulletin board material.
He doesn't want to get the Steelers psyched up thus he encourages his players talk about how the Stgeelers have rebounded

But the end result will be the same. The Steelers will likely suffer another embarrassing loss. This time at home.
Like the stock market, past performances are not indicative of future gains!

I love how you conveniently want to wash over the fact that the ratbirds hate playing in Pittsburgh on the prime time stage. Oh that's right, how quickly ratbird fans forget the infamous request from the ratbirds FO to not play a night game in Pittsburgh a few years ago.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:

I guess you need to watch some more NFL then huh? I can think of two examples, off the top of my head, and they both involve the Steelers. Halloween '04 when the Steelers creamed the Patriots only to have the Patriots destroy the Steelers in the playoffs. Then in '05 the Steelers got absolutely embarrassed by the Colts, and came back to dominate them in the playoffs that year. There's plenty more too...but someone who's seen a lot of NFL games in their lifetime would already know that.

Quote:
Hate to break this to you (YET AGAIN), but this isn't 2006 anymore. You may need to see someone over this 2006 obsession you have, you still constantly bring it up like it means something today.

Maybe I should quote the post of you stating that past games do not guarantee future results?? Whatever did happen to that little notion of yours anyhow?

Quote:
You really haven't even paid attention to your own team this year have you? Beating weaker teams that the Ravens looked past?

Yeah, I'm sure that was your first thought after the losses to the Titans, Jags, and the near loss to the Cardinals. They were just busy "looking past" them huh? You crack me up sometimes...that's the only reason I've ever let you stay on this forum...purely for comedic relief.

Quote:
Ohhhh...not that twicky twickster again!!

Quote:

Like a freaking broken record you are lol.

Win or lose though, your time here is shortening. You've had more than enough time to learn how to actually talk about football instead of constantly shoving your foot in your mouth. It was funny for a while (typically when I'm really bored)...but your schtick is just getting lame and tired.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
Opt2loc
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixburgher View Post
Based on what? The mighty Flacco shitting the bed on the road against the Jaguars, or almost blowing it at home against the Cardinals? Dude's played like warmed over shit ever since their "Super Bowl" in week one. If you'd taken the time to look up from sucking him off constantly in the last 2 months you'd know that.

Go away, assclown.
That's not totally accurate. Though he hasn't been playing like Wheaties will be asking him to do a photo shoot anytime soon, he really only had one really bad game (Jets) and one bad game (Titans). The Rams are the Rams but he did light it up against them pretty good like he should have. Jags game he got no YAC help. With that said the Ravens are 5-2 and overall IMO Flacco has been okay. I'll take that any day with a swiss cheese line and a rookie starting wide out.

You can call them excuses, I don't care. To say that he has been playing like crap since we destroyed you in week 1 is simply not accurate.
Opt2loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Timmons spent practice time at LOLB with Carter on the opposite side but then Tomlin moved Timmons back to ROLB. He mentioned Carter was going to be uncomfortable at both positions, so you might as well play Timmons at a position he knows. I guess this means Worilds isn't playing. It'll be interesting to see if we can get any kind of pressure on Flacco. We sure as hell didn't get any in week 1.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
Opt2loc
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19028

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Timmons spent practice time at LOLB with Carter on the opposite side but then Tomlin moved Timmons back to ROLB. He mentioned Carter was going to be uncomfortable at both positions, so you might as well play Timmons at a position he knows. I guess this means Worilds isn't playing. It'll be interesting to see if we can get any kind of pressure on Flacco. We sure as hell didn't get any in week 1.
If the line preforms like it has lately you will get to Joe. I'm wondering if the Ravens will change up the offense a little considering how important the game is and that it's not smart thinking to count on another week 1.

If they should just expect a rush penatrating on pass plays early till they see what happens and call some plays to offset the INT, sack or fumble that happens when Joe gets happy feet when the pressure comes.

Most likely Cam will do what Cam always does and we will pray..
Opt2loc is offline   Reply With Quote