Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 06-13-2006, 11:35 PM   #1
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2142
Default NFLPA on players and bikes

NFLPA counsels caution about motorcycles

NFL.com wire reports

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (June 13, 2006) -- Troy Vincent's motorcycles have spent the past few years gathering dust in his garage.

Once an avid rider, the Buffalo Bills safety, president of the NFL Players Association, gave it up not because of a clause in his contract or fears that an accident would shorten his career. He did it at the request of his wife, who reminded Vincent he had a family of four to support.

Vincent, speaking after Buffalo's minicamp practice, explained that his decision was a personal one. That, he said, is just like Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who made up his own mind to continue riding motorcycles despite fears raised by his team.

Describing Roethlisberger's serious motorcycle accident June 12 as unfortunate, Vincent stressed there is only so much the NFLPA can and should do to limit players' freedoms.

"You don't want to tell a guy what he can't do and what he can do," he said. "All you can say is, 'Take advantage of this window of opportunity. Be smart.' "

Roethlisberger, who quarterbacked the Steelers to a Super Bowl title in February, is recovering in a Pittsburgh hospital after breaking his jaw and suffering other injuries after being thrown from his bike after colliding with a car.

The crash is expected to reopen the debate on whether NFL contracts should specifically restrict players from riding motorcycles. Last season, Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow missed the season after injuring his knee in an accident.

Vincent said the union is not against teams including specific clauses barring activities such as motorcycle riding, hang-gliding or bungee jumping. But it has to be done on a contract-to-contract basis, he added.

Vincent does believe Roethlisberger's crash will lead to an increase in such clauses, starting with contracts involving high-priced rookies.

Vincent, 35, questioned Roethlisberger's decision to continue riding without a helmet, even though it's legal to do so in Pennsylvania. Vincent noted that he would always wear a helmet, particularly when riding in a big city like Philadelphia, where he makes his home.

But the responsibility is on the individual, he said.

"Sometimes, we believe that that won't happen to us. I'm the same way. There are certain things that happen to other people that we just believe, 'That won't be me,' " said Vincent, a 14-year NFL veteran. "But as a player, we have to take most of the responsibility, and we have to make wise choices."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9496082
Old 06-13-2006, 11:54 PM   #2
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Re: NFLPA on players and bikes

This is my response to another post but the answer is the same. I understand the union wants to protect the players liberties but the laws of freedom change when business is involved. The baseball players union would still be facilitating cheating to protect the players liberties. Everyone in the NFL is milking the TV package and the reality is that they will make more money if Ben is in uniform instead of in a wheelchair. That reality may s**k for the players but we all know the saying... having your cake and eating it too!

Wait. Sorry I had to update this. The very-very-very not-so-funny thing is Ben did not "have the right" as some have stated. He didn't even have the license. So the greater issue I am raising here just got trumped by PA State law. Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt
Couldn't disagree more. This is about money not freedom. If you have no fiscal responsibilities then we can go to the Bill of Rights and any other applicable law. But the Rooney's are paying him millions and millions of dollars to be on the field every Sunday in the best condition possible. When you take money from someone and you sign your name to paper the spectrum of rights narrows in proportion to the stakes.

Since you can't go to K-Mart and get a Super Bowl caliber QB the stakes are supremely high. Now you may say the Steelers lapsed when not writing stronger language into his contract and I would would say your 1000% right. But he disrespected the Organization when they asked him to honor the request even if the Steelers forgot to include it in his contract.

If you are one of only say 10 people in the entire world who can play QB in a Super Bowl, then what don't they understand about loss of freedom mixed in with $25-100 million (what might be his next contract)!!!! If you can't find other ways to relax with that size bank account then there is more to the problem. Find a couch or anything other than a motorcycle.

Or give the money back and flip burgers if its that important.

Last edited by Haiku_Dirtt; 06-14-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:55 AM   #3
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2142

my out take on this is it is the person's choice not to wear one or not so the NFLPA should leave it alone
Old 06-14-2006, 02:11 AM   #4
Steelersfan

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt
This is my response to another post but the answer is the same. I understand the union wants to protect the players liberties but the laws of freedom change when business is involved. The baseball players union would still be facilitating cheating to protect the players liberties. Everyone in the NFL is milking the TV package and the reality is that they will make more money if Ben is in uniform instead of in a wheelchair. That reality may s**k for the players but we all know the saying... having your cake and eating it too!

Wait. Sorry I had to update this. The very-very-very not-so-funny thing is Ben did not "have the right" as some have stated. He didn't even have the license. So the greater issue I am raising here just got trumped by PA State law. Incredible.
So what you are saying is companies (that's what teams are) can dictate what you can or can't do on your own time? That is just so wrong. I'm sure Ohio knows how I feel about this already but he it goes again.
In no way shape or form should any person (player) be told what they can or can't do by any employer (team) on their own time! Now if said person (player) broke the law then there is a problem. But if someone wants to go skiing, ride a motorcycle, go bungee jumping they should be able to no matter where they work.