Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 11-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528
Default Offer your plan on how to beat the Ravens

I hope the Steelers don't get too overconfident with this week's matchup (I know Tomlin will keep them focused). The Steelers have all the momentum with 4consecutive wins, a big win over an arch nemesis, the Patriots, and they have been heaped tons of national praise and attention, even being elevated to #2 status on several power rankings.

Meanwhile, the Ravens have been practically left for dead, having lost to the lowly Jags and almost losing to the even lowlier Cardinals. Their defense remains strong but their offense seems, at most times, inept.

However, this is not a time to let the guard down, even when most of America expects the Steelers to win.

The Steelers need to be just as aggresive, creative and consistent to beat these Ravens, a very dangerous opponent. Here is what I see as things we need to do to win:

1. Stop Ray Rice. This is a must. He must be spied at all times. He can use a little bit of free space and exploit it for big yards. He must not be ignored even when the play seems to be going in the opposite direction - he must be followed. This may take one of our defensive players out of the game play (a big resource) but ignoring him will be a mistake.

2. Play man-to-man defense. Taylor on Boldin and safeties on Dickson. This should free up other guys, especially our young LBs, to try to stop the run. Unlike last week when Troy hardly blitzed - we need to send Troy in there several times. I am convinced that Flacco has a physical reaction that he cannot control when he sees that mass of black curly hair running into the backfield. Troy blitzing (whether he gets there or not) will cause turnovers.

3. Control the clock. I don't think running will do it against this defense so passing like we did last week will be the key. We need to use the pass to open up the run. If they start playing man to man or start cheating by bringing a guy into the box - that is when we air it out with Wallace or even Sanders or Brown. This will put a lot of pressure on Max Starks and the OL but they need to stop Suggs especially when they play man to man. If we can give Ben a little bit of time on these situations, we can get long TDs... several of them. As for a general passing game strategy:

4. Exploit the middle of the field with WRs. Last week we did it with Heath. This week, move Heath out to the wing and use our speedy WRs to run quick slants and posts in the middle. Our WRs will need balls of steel to run through there (a la Hines Ward) and Ben needs to make sure that he does not get the ball batted. If they choose to double team Wallace, we can have him run fly patterns on the outside to keep the safety out of the middle.

5. Ben must protect the ball. We were lucky last week that when the ball was swatted out of Ben's hands - it wasn't a fumble lost. He will need to protect the ball better this week. Ben also needs to know where Suggs is at all times and get rid of the ball before getting sacked. I don't care about a sack here or there; I am just worried about the potential to lose the ball when he is hit.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,248 Times in 522 Posts
Default Re: Offer your plan on how to beat the Ravens

Come after Flacco, same way we did Brady. Once again, we need activitiy from our defensive lineman MORE-SO than we did last week. Last week I said guys like Ziggy and Keisel needed to be stout to open up Woodley and our backers. They did, but this Sunday, with Woodley out of the lineup, it's all about defensive penetration AGAIN stemming from our D-line.

I want to see more stunting and more pressure from within. I want to see Ziggy, Heyward, Hamp and Keisel wreak havoc. Stunt the shit out of Flacco, confuse him. Make him force throws into tight coverage. Bring Troy in the box. Flacco and the Ravens offense doesn't have the passing threat and Y.A.C threat that N.E does, so Troy can play more in the box, where he's best at and **** with Flacco's head.

Flacco's inconsistencies mixed in with an offensive line that's starting to crumble is the exact opponent we need to feed on. Load it up, bring the run-blitz, keep Rice in check and be PHYSICAL with the wideouts. If we do that, we have a chance to romp.

On offense, I believe they will give the same tempo. If ANYTHING, the no huddle is needed more than ever this Sunday Night. The Ravens are a very physical defense that like to reek havoc. Spread them out and lets tire these bitch's down and set a fast tempo. We can do it now. No need to waste time running the damn football and waste valuable yardage and downs when we can spread them out (like teams spread us out. Brady set the blueprint on how to beat us years ago. This time, we need to do that. Balty runs a similar style than we do. We now have the weapons to find the holes in their D and EXPLOIT their weakness, the secondary.)
Old 11-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
...Troy can play more in the box, where he's best at and **** with Flacco's head.... If ANYTHING, the no huddle is needed more than ever this Sunday Night. ...
Agree with you about Troy. He has made so many plays against Flaccid that there is no way he is not inside his head.

I like what you said about no-huddle as well
Old 11-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #4
NoFieldFive
Starter

Member Number: 10965

can't leave Ben in the backfield by himself. someone has got to pick up Suggs.

go for the quick passes like they did last week

forget that short screen pass - last week they did it 3 times....one for loss, one for no gain, one for gain of 2. someone is going to pick that ball off and it's an easy 6 points when they do.

get all receivers and Miller and backfield involved in passing game early...mix it up like last week
NoFieldFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

First off we have to stop Rice, that's what really hurt us last year. Flacco isn't a defensive reader, at least nothing compared to the QB we just played, so mix it up and as mentioned bring Troy up into the box. He hasn't made a single notable play all year until last game and I'm not even sure if that was legal, so he will eventually get one and being that the Ravens fear him so much, it's likely it will happen this game. Taylor will take away one of their receivers, so we need to watch Rice on the checkdown and put a CB on Dickson as we did Gronkowski/Hernandez. No reason not to run some man to man nickle, there's barely enough LB's to play a 3-4. If we can slow down Rice a decent amount while getting pressure on Flacco their offense will crumble. Flacco is doing horrible anyway, if he has to throw a lot they will lose, if he has to read a different defense all game he will lose, that front 7 just has to step up, I think they will. Ben can't turn it over, nobody can, but especially no picks or sack/fumbles that give the other team all the energy. The offense has been playing well, provided they do a bit better in the redzone, they will be fine. IMO the big matchup is Suggs/Starks. If we run the ball at least "ok", don't turn it over, and Starks holds his own, the offense will be fine.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Cheerful

I say they do like in the Longest yard and break Sugg's effin neck. If Starks can keep him under control, great but put a tight end in there to stay back and block or put Redman and Mendy in there at the same time to pick Suggs up no matter what side he is on. Stop Suggs and we kick their butt. Of course the Oline needs to take care of Ngata as well. Suggs and Ngata are big problems. Ray Lewis is a non-entity these days. Spread them out, pass the ball with QUICK PASSES like last week and bring their secondary in to cover it. Wallace will then open up for a long one. Put Flacco on his backo all game long. The youngsters need to play the game of their life if Woodley and Harrison are both out.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:28 AM   #7
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

[YOUTUBE]2bqDCfof4FQ[/YOUTUBE]
Old 11-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

On defense it comes down to limiting two players:
Ray Rice
Anquan Boldin
and it also means
Putting pressure on Flacco

On offense it comes down to these few things:
Taking the underneath WR/TE
Clock control
Tiring out the defense
Using the no-huddle
TDs not FGs

I think switching up our coverage similar to the way we played the patriots*, and making sure every player knows his assignment. Working cohesively as a unit in all 3 phases of the game,
and, specifically to Chris Kemoteau and Ryan Clark - NO LATE HITS OR PILING ON!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #9
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

No pass interference calls. Flacco will be tossing it up for grabs like he did with the Cardinals. Stay disciplined.
No personal fouls, let the Ravens talk don't let tham bait you into getting a PF
Same game plan as NE

Rattle Flacco with hits
Rattle Flacco with fan noise
Flacco can only play comfortable when he has a lead. This is prime time Sunday night, which is exactly what Flacco and the Ravens do not way.
Def needs to play tight and smart, I would take a late hit PF on the first pass play and knock Flacco into next week.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

I think were going to beat them with alot of 4 man fronts. With 3lbrs hurt I bet we go with the 4 man front and throw off there game plan