Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 11-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Perception and reality differ on key to Steelers victory

Perception and reality differ on key to Steelers victory
Friday, November 04, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11308/1187357-66-0.stm

Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers offense cannot be one-dimensional against the Ravens if they want to win Sunday, coordinator Bruce Arians said.

In order to beat the New England Patriots, Ben Roethlisberger threw the ball 50 times. Everyone knows that formula must be reversed against Baltimore. In order to beat the Ravens, the Steelers need to run more often and do so more successfully.

Right?

"Ultimately, it comes down to whoever rushes better against each other is usually the winner in this series," said Steelers offensive tackle Max Starks, a veteran of the Steelers-Ravens wars but not that opening-day bloodletting this season.

"You can look at the team that has the most rushing yards [as the one that] usually wins."

That sounds good in theory, but it's not true. The team that has piled up more yards rushing in the past two seasons, lost more often. In the five games the teams played in 2009 and '10, the team with the higher run yardage lost three of them.

Things reverted to the kind of form generally associated with this series when Baltimore outrushed the Steelers, 170-66, in the opener and ran away with a 35-7 victory.

The Steelers, however, were running the ball reasonably well in the first half with 60 yards on 10 carries. Even though they trailed, 21-7, that ground game did well enough that they tried it again on the first play of the second half.

Ben Roethlsiberger took the snap, tried to hand off to Rashard Mendenhall and both met Haloti Ngata in the backfield. Baltimore recovered the fumble from that collision and, on the next play, Joe Flacco threw an 11-yard touchdown pass to Ray Rice. Baltimore 29, Steelers 7.

"Dang, first time we played them we were running the ball this good and then we had the miscommunication coming out of halftime," coordinator Bruce Arians recalled Thursday. "The play we ran was the same play we ran for 8 or 9 yards early -- fumble and game's over. Those are the kinds of errors we just can't have."

It was one of seven turnovers by the Steelers that day, none for the Ravens.

But the Steelers believe they can run Sunday night, even though they have done less and with less effectiveness against most everybody this season.

"The running game is very important," Starks said. "When you get one-dimensional and passing all over the place, that's when the game gets tough. I think our personnel matches up very well against their defensive front seven to accommodate that and establish the run in this game."

Arians said striking a balance is more important against Baltimore than merely establishing the run.

"When you play a defense as good as these guys, you can't get one dimensional on either phase," Arians said. "If you're going to try running it, they're going to stuff you. If you're going to try to throw it every down, they'll get you. They pride themselves, as we do, on their great third-down defense."
Fine with the fine

Here's a new twist to an old story: Another Steelers player was fined this week, and, not only did he agree with the fine, but he also believes the NFL is doing the right thing.

That player also happens to be safety Ryan Clark, who in the past has been an outspoken critic of fines levied on the Steelers by the NFL. Clark, the team's representative to the NFL Players Association, was fined $15,000 for a hit out of bounds on New England tight end Rob Gronkowski in the third quarter Sunday at Heinz Field.

"It's part of the rules, though, man," Clark said. "If you get a personal foul, they've been fining for that. I have to be smarter in that sense and not put myself in that position."

Clark joins many other teammates who have been fined this season for various infractions, including Chris Kemoeatu who had a double-whammy the week before for two penalties, a personal foul and hands to the face that cost him $25,000.

Kemoeatu also was caught for another foul for hands to the face against the Patriots, but he was not fined for that, perhaps because he said he pulled off this time.

"You have to understand that, if they see something that they feel is outside the rules, you're going to get a fine for it," Clark said.

"That's just the way the game is going. They're really setting high standards for fair play, and they're also setting high standards for player safety. That's something that we as players want to implement.

"They're being proactive in that approach so we have to find ways to make sure we play within those guidelines."

The fine for his hit on Gronkowski was strictly for hitting him out of bounds, Clark said, and not for hitting him too hard or to the head. He has, however, made a more determined effort lately to lay down some harder hits.

"Lawrence Timmons and I always joke about who can get the hardest hit every game," Clark said. "We have like this running pool of who is going to get gets the hardest hit every game.

"There was like two weeks neither one of us did anything. We had a lot of tackles but just weren't making any impact, physical plays. I just decided that every time I hit, every time I run to the ball, I need to be as violent and as efficient as possible, and that's what I'm doing. It hurts, though, I'm not feeling too great about it."

Clark leads the team with 52 tackles.
Sanders unlikely to play

The Steelers are not counting on Emmanuel Sanders to play Sunday night after spending all week in Texas following his mother's death Tuesday.

Her funeral will be held Saturday.

Sanders has 18 receptions for 243 yards and 2 touchdowns.

"It's hard when you lose your mother at a very young age, to come back and play," Arians said.

"Even if he makes it back in time, this is something we're not expecting. Our prayers and hearts just go out to him and his family."
More progress for Harrison

James Harrison went through another practice without any ill effects, and as long as he passes his eye test today or Saturday, he will play Sunday.

"It's all up to the doctors, if they feel comfortable with it," Harrison said.

Fellow linebackers LaMarr Woodley and James Farrior also were listed as being limited in practice, as was tackle Jonathan Scott.

Next

Game: Ravens (5-2) at Steelers (6-2).

Where: Heinz Field.

When: 8:20 p.m. Sunday.

TV: WPXI.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11308...#ixzz1cjsBJVNy
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
Default Re: Perception and reality differ on key to Steelers victory

The only way the Steelers will run effectively, is to coming up passing to back them off.

The first drive, needs to be 100% passing, and if they do run, it needs to be from a passing set. If they can drive on them like they did the PATS, than the Ravens will have no choice but to back off the blitz. But if Arians and Tomlin think they will run first on the Ravens, they are smoking some rich weed.

Than again, the Rooneys already made the call stating we are a run first team, make it happen Mike.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Damn, I completely understand Sanders missing the game, but it's like we are playing with half the team. Is Ward playing? Harrison is a beast but even if he plays, I don't know how effective he will be in his first game back.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,249 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Damn, I completely understand Sanders missing the game, but it's like we are playing with half the team. Is Ward playing? Harrison is a beast but even if he plays, I don't know how effective he will be in his first game back.
2 names, 2 words: Ben Roethlisberger; Troy Polamalu. As long as those guys suite up, we should have the best chance at making sh!t go down this Sunday Night. We may be hurt, but with Ben and Troy playing 100% healthy, this is ours.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Glad you have alot of confidence Stainless, But i agree with ya!
LETS GET IT ON!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Goldsteel86
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
Glad you have alot of confidence Stainless, But i agree with ya!
LETS GET IT ON!
Don't forget there still is Brown, Wallace, Miller and ohh by the way we signed a guy this off-season by the name of Cotchery. I think the Steelers will be fine in the receiver department!
Goldsteel86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,814 Times in 1,832 Posts
My Mood: Fine

greetings from Denver - no sight of Tebow mania (haha - wonder why)

anywho - Joe Flacco has been getting creamed by teams we've beaten so I say if we don't turn the ball over we win.

If we get Mendy and Redman (and Moore) going just enough for them to respect the run I think we can gas them with the pass game - the difference in BOTH teams is night and day compared to week 1

The pressure is squarely on the Ravens to sweep us in our house, and especially after the way they rubbed it in our faces - that's why Suggs is getting the talking in now - because the tables could be turned and for good this season

All we have to do is take away Rice and the running AND passing game chokes - talk about major security blanket. Baltimore receivers are actually worse IMHO since the departure of Mason, Heap and Housh to some extent but then again that group never scared me much - it has always been coughing up the turnovers against this team - thats all that matters

Gonna be funny when they find themselves on the road in the playoffs - that is if Bengals don't steal their wildcard spot!

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
Don't forget there still is Brown, Wallace, Miller and ohh by the way we signed a guy this off-season by the name of Cotchery. I think the Steelers will be fine in the receiver department!
Yeah, i just watched steeler live at 4 today, they were talkin bout Cotchery gettin more play time.....its really good to have lots of weapons......+
Antonio is always gonna be a big threat, but what they dont know will hurt them

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #9
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Anybody know about Ward?
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,624 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
yeah i don't think sanders should play. he needs to be with his family right now, football can wait (for him)
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote