Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Swaggering Ravens put chip back on shoulder

Swaggering Ravens put chip back on shoulder
Friday, November 04, 2011
Mike Preston, The Baltimore Sun

Ravens outside linebacker Terrell Suggs has the right idea.

He stirred the emotions in the NFL's best rivalry this week when he reclaimed ownership of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, talked about his warm and fuzzy relationship with Steelers fans and called out "Smiley," Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward.

God bless Terrell Suggs.

There was some concern about the Ravens. After turning in two lackluster performances against Jacksonville and Arizona, I thought they might have lost some life and swagger. And then came Suggs, the NFL's version of Muhammad Ali.

There is no other way to go into Pittsburgh. You don't go in peeping and creeping, behaving like some little puppy with his tail between his legs. You dial the Steelers up and let them know you are coming to town. You remind them of how they got their butts kicked in Baltimore earlier this season and tell them it could happen again in their house in front of their fans and the nation.

Shannon Sharpe would say it. Sam Adams would preach it -- and start talking about bringing his lunch and a hard hat.

I usually am old school, but the Ravens cannot be quiet in this situation. It might appear they were afraid. When the Steelers left Baltimore a couple of months ago, "Smiley" said they would remember the things that happened here.

It was a threat.

Since then, there were reports that the Steelers did not like the way the Ravens tried to run up the score by going for two points and throwing late in the game. They did not like the Ravens dancing on the sideline and chop-blocking their defensive linemen.

And now, they are supposed to have all this momentum because they are virtually unbeatable at home and they got the Terrible Towels, tradition, a short memory and "Renegade," the greatest fight song in Pittsburgh since "Eye of the Tiger."

And blah, blah, blah ... enough.

It was only a matter of time before Suggs answered -- seconds in fact -- about as long as it takes for a reporter to get a microphone under his mouth in Ravens/Steelers week.

"We have been declared war upon," Suggs said Wednesday. "We are the enemy of the state, but who better than us? We're taking 53 men to the apocalypse and we ain't bringing flowers."

Oh, and I love the way he chided "Smiley."

Can No. 86 come out to play?

"I'm looking right at you [No. 86]," Suggs said. "I need you to play. Please put on that 86, and that smile and all those things you do. We need all that for this game."

Even Ravens cornerback Lardarius Webb took a swipe at the Steelers by indicating that Antonio Brown was better than Mike Wallace.

Ouch!

Ravens coach John Harbaugh won't shut his guys up this week. He knows better. In this game, you have to talk loud and carry a big stick. Plus, what two better coaches to have in this series than Harbaugh and the Steelers Mike Tomlin? Couldn't you see them duking it out in a Wal-Mart parking lot? They both have chips on their shoulders, and their personalities are made for this game.

I'm glad to see some fight back in the Ravens. As soon as they heard they were 3-point underdogs, you could see and feel the attitude.

"I don't see us as the underdog," said Ravens running back Ray Rice. "The feeling is they are a divisional opponent, they're a rivalry opponent, and we know what this game means. If we win, we've swept them for the season. We don't have to worry about Pittsburgh no more the rest of the year. We control our own destiny. Coming out of this game, we know what it means. It's going to have that playoff-type atmosphere right now."

The underdog role for the Ravens is justified. The Steelers seems to have found its niche, especially on offense with Roethlisberger throwing a lot of short passes. They were impressive in their win Sunday against New England and had the ball on offense for nearly 40 minutes.

But, in a game like this, does it matter?

It's a major fight, two brutes going against one another. The Ravens won the first one, and they have set the tone for the second. This reminds me of the Ravens in 2000, when the Ravens had to travel to much-hated rival Tennessee to play the Titans in an AFC divisional game.

The Ravens were chirping then as they are now. Afterward, then-Ravens coach Brian Billick was asked by reporters about his players' trash talking.

"When you go into the lions' den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee," Billick said.

He was right then; the Ravens are right now.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11308...#ixzz1cjskxN9H
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659
Default Re: Swaggering Ravens put chip back on shoulder

It'll be fun watching the chip get knocked off those shoulders. Seems to happen like this the past few years. The Ravens win the early, less meaningful games, only to see the Steelers burst their bubble.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
bobby jr
Banned

Member Number: 15696

That's the way to go into Pittsburgh. Holding your head high, and no backing down.
Suggs and Rice have every right to be proud of the way the team handled the Steelers on 09/11, and as Rice said, if they win this one they will have the tiebreaker over the Steelers. (Which would mean that if the teams both make the playoffs and meet in the AFC Championship game it would be in Baltimore.)

Suggs saves his best games for Pittsburgh. If he played that way against everyone else he would be MVP.

It will be a war out there. As usual.
bobby jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Opt2loc
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19028

Just gotta love the hype.
Opt2loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby jr View Post
That's the way to go into Pittsburgh. Holding your head high, and no backing down.
Suggs and Rice have every right to be proud of the way the team handled the Steelers on 09/11, and as Rice said, if they win this one they will have the tiebreaker over the Steelers. (Which would mean that if the teams both make the playoffs and meet in the AFC Championship game it would be in Baltimore.)

Suggs saves his best games for Pittsburgh. If he played that way against everyone else he would be MVP.

It will be a war out there. As usual.
See that there is the problem jr. He saves his best game for the Steelers instead of playing every game as if it should be his best game. Maybe that's the problem with the ratbirds and every one else in the AFC North - they look at the Steelers and say, if we can only beat them we'll be made. The Steelers move on, the ratbirds - the bungals - the clowns, they are not our standard. Trophies are the Steelers' standard!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,147 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

I just couldn't believe Suggs actually stated that he exists to stop Roethlisberger.

Yes, I know he's sacked Ben more than any other player...and that he keeps Ben's ass in a fridge in his basement? (creepy much?) Big deal. Last I heard, they don't hand out trophies for that sort of thing.

Exists to stop Roethlisberger. How embarrassing. The Steelers are so deep in their heads.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/11/03/sugg...ule=HP11_MYNFL
Old 11-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
I just couldn't believe Suggs actually stated that he exists to stop Roethlisberger.

Yes, I know he's sacked Ben more than any other player...and that he keeps Ben's ass in a fridge in his basement? (creepy much?) Big deal. Last I heard, they don't hand out trophies for that sort of thing.

Exists to stop Roethlisberger. How embarrassing. The Steelers are so deep in their heads.

He has that ghetto thug mentality. Being able to say he "owns" one of the best QB's in the league gets him that "cred" that he wants, when really it has little to do with Ben and more to do with our LT. So if he "owns" Ben because he is able to get there once or twice a game when Ben is throwing, then does Ben own him everytime he doesnt get there and Ben completes a first down or TD?
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Member Number: 16173

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post

Suggs and the other Ravens are obsessed with the Steelers enough said. It's natural to want to beat a hated rival but the Ravens players seem to think that we're their only real roadblock to the Super Bowl when they have other problems.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,470 Times in 3,548 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i cant stand suggs cause he looks just like me, the mother****er ugly
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701

I saw in one artice where thuggs said Ben knew he was one of the few guys in the league who could bring Ben down. I was wondering how that workrd out last year when Ben held him off with one hand and got rid of the ball to save a big sack.
steelerjim58 is offline   Reply With Quote