Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 11-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177
Default Kovacevic: Lake is Steelers' first-half MVP

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_765484.html

Really good article on Carnell Lake and a subject that needs to be given some attention. I used to brace myself in horror every time opposing teams threw the ball against our corners, but not anymore. Lake has done a phenomenal job.

Kovacevic: Lake is Steelers' first-half MVP
What once was an abomination now seems like an aberration.

It's hard to quantify, really, how much the Steelers have improved from that opening 35-7 loss in Baltimore to this rematch Sunday: They're contenders at 6-2, confident in all phases, deeper than anyone knew and so strategically sharp that the noted New England scholars Bill Belichick and Tom Brady just left town with swelling, itching brains.

It's a good team, one that's enjoyed a wealth of quality individual performances.

And yet, in choosing a first-half MVP, I'll go way off the board, even off the 53-man roster, and take defensive backs coach Carnell Lake.

Most of us think of Lake as the cerebral four-time Pro Bowl safety for the Steelers from 1989-98. But in his new life as a rookie NFL coach, he has dramatically transformed what was supposed to be the team's No. 1 weakness into the NFL's No. 1 pass defense, with an average of 171.6 yards allowed per game.

"Carnell's really done a great job," defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said Thursday on the South Side. "Our secondary has played well. All you have to do is look at our pass numbers. Somebody's doing something right there."

"Coach Lake deserves a lot of credit," safety Ryan Clark said. "He's the guy who's had us prepared physically and mentally, who's given us the game plans. We have some good men in here, but he's the one that's put it together."

Seriously, why is no one talking about this guy?

Ike Taylor was a very good corner, but he's now one of the NFL's best, and he's the Steelers' best since Lake's old teammate, Rod Woodson. He's matching up against the opponents' top receivers and, in the past three weeks alone, held Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald to three catches each, Wes Welker to four. Overall, Taylor has the league's best burn rate — how often a defensive back is targeted vs. the number of completions — at 32.1 percent.

For a comparison, Bryant McFadden's burn rate last season was 67 percent, the league's fourth-worst.

And how about William Gay?

When it became clear in Latrobe that McFadden's hamstring would keep him out, all the talk-show and social-media rage was vented at Gay. And not without cause. His play ranged from clumsy to cringe-worthy, even though he took the field only in the nickel package.

This season, though, Gay has been outstanding after a rough start in Indianapolis upon taking over for McFadden. His breakthrough was the primary reason LeBeau and Lake felt comfortable with switching to man-to-man coverage against Brady and the Patriots.

This surely represents Lake's crown jewel to this point.

Lake worked with Gay, his teammates say, to study his tendencies and preferences. Gay wanted to be up on the line, handling receivers physically. The Steelers' previous defensive backs coach, Ray Horton, now the defensive coordinator in Arizona, wanted Gay to stay back, as with all his corners. Lake cut him loose.

"I'm just playin' my game, man," Gay said.

LeBeau and the Steelers' players praise Horton for his technique teaching, but they sound like they love Lake for adding that physical element. We saw it with Taylor, too, last week in chipping at Welker.

"Ray Horton was a great coach," LeBeau said. "The reason we wanted to get Carnell was that I had personal experience with him here and knew he was a man of great character. I also knew he was an aggressive player and that he'd be an aggressive coach. I knew what he'd be asking our guys to do."

There are others. Third-year man Keenan Lewis has looked so strong that he's pushing for more duty. Not far behind is Cortez Allen, the fourth-round draft pick. Only McFadden has fallen off, now relegated to special teams after his injury limited his time with Lake in Latrobe.

Lake, 44, has been a quick study. He left the private business world in 2010 to join Green Bay as a coaching intern, then accepted the Steelers' offer in March. He has preferred to lay low, which is why he declined an interview request for this column. He told me during the preseason he wanted the focus on his players, and he's obviously achieved that for all the right reasons.

Next challenge for Lake's secondary, especially Taylor, will be the Ravens' Anquan Boldin, fresh off a 145-yard gem against Arizona.

Anyone still worried?
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
California-Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11917
Default Re: Kovacevic: Lake is Steelers' first-half MVP

Old 11-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

This is one of the best articles I've read from either the Post-Gazette or the Tribune in a while.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,815 Times in 2,882 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

awesome. lake has always been one of my favorite players, now he's one of my favorite coaches.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
BengalDestroyer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16598

Agree 100% Hats off to Lake. I had a good feeling about the secondary coming around this year due to Lake being our new coach at that position.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17600

I find it pleasantly surprising that Lake has done such a great job. Especially so soon. Normally, players as good as he was aren't successful as coaches, at least not at the top level, because they find it hard to relate to players who aren't as good as they were, which is most of them. I know there are plenty of exceptions but that seems to be the rule.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

I think that Lake was in a unique position to become a coach due to how variable he was as a player. In college, he was actually a linebacker. He was drafted to be a safety, and then obviously he also played cornerback when Rod Woodson went down, so he's had multiple player-level views in being able to understand how a person reads the field real-time. I just had a really good feeling about him from the beginning. I was hoping that they would get either Woodson, Townsend, or Lake. First, the Raiders snatched up Woodson. Then, Ray Horton brought Townsend along with him to Arizona. I was pleasantly surprised that they were able to get Lake when if was announced. And by the way, for those keeping score at home, that's now 3 DBs from the Steelers secondary of the early-mid 90s now coaching secondaries in the NFL.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,479 Times in 575 Posts

Maybe he'll give Keith Butler a run for his money to be Defensive Coordinator when Lebeau retires.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:04 AM   #9
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

What has been so encouraging throughout these past four games has been how the defense and the entire team have been adjusting to different situations. My biggest issue with the Steelers season after season is that they always seem to keep forcing the same routine even when it doesn't work. It seems like they have realized that the same approach doesn't work all of the time. The way the defense shut down Brady for most of the game last week, and the way the offense kept him off the field and put points on the board... these were things that I never thought I'd see from them a season ago.

Interestingly... even though this Steelers team got off to a much rougher start than teams in years past... they might be the best team we've seen, ever. If we beat the Ravens this weekend and take down the Bungles next week to go into the bye at 8-2... I might be inclined to believe it.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote