Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-14-2006, 07:37 AM   #1
section514
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1401
Default First thing Ben needs to do once he is healthy

I saw this idea in an article online, can't remember where.

Instead of doing a Poverty Neck music video, or chowin down on Chunky Soup, Big Ben needs to do a Public Service annoucement.

The Title:

Wear a Helmet

I am planning on using my students this fall write a letter to Big Ben to wear a helmet. I think that a bunch of 2nd graders writing hand writen notes will have a bigger impact than some newpaper yelling at him.

If there are any other teachers in this forum, I think you should do the same.

I am only a student teacher, so I am not sure how far I can take this idea this fall, but I am going to try.

Just an idea...
section514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:44 AM   #2
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2142
Default Re: First thing Ben needs to do once he is healthy

I just dont see Big Ben doing that, I dont think what happened to him will make him change his mind on the whole helment issue...
Old 06-14-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

It still amazes me that the helmet issue is even brought up. How about just putting the bike down until your retired? I agreed completely with Theismann, Bradshaw and Cowher when I was first notified that he was riding a motorcycle.

During that time, everybody was making a big deal about him not wearing a helmet and I'm thinking to myself "why in the hell is he riding a bike in the first place?".

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 06-14-2006 at 08:17 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:26 AM   #4
section514
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Steeler
I just dont see Big Ben doing that, I dont think what happened to him will make him change his mind on the whole helment issue...

are you kidding me?

do you honestly think Ben will get back on a bike without a helmet, let alone ride a bike at all again? Ben is a stubborn kid, but not stupid. He learned his lesson, he had to of.
section514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:02 AM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by section514
are you kidding me?

do you honestly think Ben will get back on a bike without a helmet, let alone ride a bike at all again? Ben is a stubborn kid, but not stupid. He learned his lesson, he had to of.
We can only hope and pray that he learned his lesson. I agree that he isn't stupid and that he realizes God sent him a Guardian Angel and that he shouldn't be testing him any more in the next 10+ years.
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:05 AM   #6
R2sojr
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 892

i dont see him having much leway once his new contract comes out....he prob will be limited to only being able to watch movies and riding a moutain bike at the Point...if i were the steelers org. i would be strict with him...i mean i know hes young and has to live his life but this isnt your normal job...your comitted to a organization and ppl invest millions of dollars in you....if he cant make that sacrafice then somethings wrong...plus his agent should of not let him get on that bike...it was both imature on both there parts...a hard lesson learned
R2sojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:25 AM   #7
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I'm reasonably sure that Ben is going to be convicted of driving without a license, and will be sentenced to doing a bunch of community service. I'd not be at all surprised if some of that consisted of doing PSA's about bike safety and such, maybe even including PSA's about wearing a helmet.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
caseydog
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Steeler
I wish I knew ten-percent now, of what I thought I knew at 24.

When I was Ben's age, I was so incredibly smart. I knew so much more than those old farts who were always trying to "teach" me things.

Of course, now I AM an "old fart" and I don't know anywhere near as much as I did when I was young. Where did all that knowledge go? (sigh)

Who is Terry Bradshaw to give a young NFL QB advice? Sure, he's got those four rings, and he IS in the hall of fame -- but so what. He's just another "old fart" who doesn't know anything.

Ben is no different than most young men. We are all too smart for our own good when we are young.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:23 PM   #9
caligirlsteelerfan86
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 560

I haven't really said too much regarding this issue, because I'm just an outsider looking in with my own personal views and I can't speak for anyone but myself. I feel the very first thing he need's to do is to appologize to his family (well not really appologize, an accident is an accident) that he should have taken precautions to protect himself. Even if he wasn't an awsome QB with a bright future, he should think about himself and how your actions effect your loved ones. I think most of us buckle up when we drive, we drink and hopefully have someone else drive us home. I know a lot of people are annoyed with the helmet issue, but it's hard not too, it should be second nature to help protect yourself. So, I really believe he owes his family. Then he owes the Steelers, to me at first, it sounds bad, but it's true. He does have a lot invested in him! I have no clue what it's like to be his age and have so much on my shoulders. I am 28 an have an okay job, and I know I cannot go out on a Friday night to a bar and get drunk, think I have sobered up and drive home. If I get a DUI on my off time, I will be fired from my job and I don't make millions a year. Even without that threat I think of my family, friends, and others well being before I do my own. I hope he is feeling crappy right now (sorry if I offened people). He has to realize how many lives he has effected, he effected his family/friends, steelers org, fans, and last but not least the lady that hit him (honestly I feel worse for her even though she hit him, he shouldn't have been on that bike)! I do think he will learn from this event and he will own up to his responsibility as an avg joe like the rest of us would have too. I really hope he can continue playing, not for me as a fan, but for himself. I ran college cross country and had knee surgery and because of that lost my scholarship and that hurt, I know I don't have the skills Big Ben does, but it still hurts. Even though I do believe he made a big mistake, he does not deserve to lose it all, we all deserve a second chance. I wish him well, honestly I do. But, I am human, I am a STEELERS fan (team, not individual players), and I have my own opinioins (like *******s everyones got one). I hope he see's how mcu his family and friends love him, not really how us fans see him, but what his family see's and he will take care of himself. Let's wish him well and hope he continues to play and finish his dreams (I get worried even though they say he's fine, one good hit could ruin his careeer)! Get well first Ben, come back when your strong enough!

Last edited by caligirlsteelerfan86; 06-14-2006 at 10:28 PM.
caligirlsteelerfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:45 AM   #10
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Actually, the first thing he should do when he gets home is sale all other motorcycles he owns. Then donate the money to charity.
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote