Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
caplovestroyp43
Banned

Member Number: 16490
My Mood: Angelic
Question ?? About Steeler Players' Nicknames

OK I LOVE Tunch Ilkin and Bill Hillgrove and listening to them is always a pleasure BUT the nicknames that some of our players have, honestly! For example:

Chris K: "Big Juicy" Big Juicy what? Idiot? Only because of his stooopid penalities or would that refer to a certain body part?
James Harrison: Silverback how did he get that btw??
James Farrior: Potsie I'm OK with this one; it's been that for years!
Troy: The Flyin' Hawaiian and Tazmanian Devil OK with those too; that's our Troy!

Former Steelers:

Joey Porter: "Peezy" huh???
Flozell Adams: "The Hotel" what was he a pimp at one time?!?

Those are all I can think of at the moment. If there are any more and you know the stories, please share. I'd like to know how they got their nicknames.

Thanks Much! And I *am* a lifetime fan. Just don't know about the nickname stuff.

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!! MURDER THE CROWS!!!

caplovestroyp43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173
Default Re: ?? About Steeler Players' Nicknames

Adams' nickname I think is due to his size and I think he got it in Dallas.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Harrison got his because he's like a Silverback gorilla. These are mostly locker room nicknames though, so they're mostly made up by other players.

Some of the more obvious ones are Big Ben, Big Snack, The Bus, The Blonde Bomber, etc.

Harrison is also called "Deebo" as well, from the movie Friday.
Taylor I think gave himself the nickname of "Swaggin'" (stemming from his old Swaggin' University line).
"Ziggy" Hood...I'm not sure where there came from, probably something he grew up with (like Potsie).
I'm not sure if other players call him this, but Mike Wallace is sometimes called "60 Minutes" (the show w/ host Mike Wallace).

Those are all the ones I can think of off the top of my head. But yeah, they're mostly either something you get called around the locker room and it sticks, or something that a reporter or something will call you that sticks.

There's actually a wiki page for NFL nicknames, and it explains a few of the Steelers ones. It's a good read though regardless. One of my favorites is Ryan Fitzpatrick "The Amish Rifle".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...knames#Players

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by caplovestroyp43 View Post
OK I LOVE Tunch Ilkin and Bill Hillgrove and listening to them is always a pleasure BUT the nicknames that some of our players have, honestly! For example:

Chris K: "Big Juicy" Big Juicy what? Idiot? Only because of his stooopid penalities or would that refer to a certain body part?
James Harrison: Silverback how did he get that btw??
James Farrior: Potsie I'm OK with this one; it's been that for years!
Troy: The Flyin' Hawaiian and Tazmanian Devil OK with those too; that's our Troy!

Former Steelers:

Joey Porter: "Peezy" huh???
Flozell Adams: "The Hotel" what was he a pimp at one time?!?

Those are all I can think of at the moment. If there are any more and you know the stories, please share. I'd like to know how they got their nicknames.

Thanks Much! And I *am* a lifetime fan. Just don't know about the nickname stuff.

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!! MURDER THE CROWS!!!

Potsie for Farrior goes back to Matoaca High School in the Richmond, VA area. I've met some people that went there and they said he was called that back then.

A Silverback gorilla is the strongest of all gorillas. James was always the strongest guy in the locker room even during his special teams days, which is how he got the name.

You didn't mention Keisel "diesel". Don't know, but I'm guessing something to do with a non stop engine. Actually a pretty good nickname IMO.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
DevinX43
Water Boy

Member Number: 18664

Don't forget the young money crew!
DevinX43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Chadmagic
Team Captain

Member Number: 17433

Flozell "The Hotel" Adams did get his from the time he spent in Dallas. Its his size. He is as big as a hotel.
I read about Potsie somewhere online and it said it was something his grandmother called him.
Big Ben because he is just that. A really big guy named Ben and it doesn't hurt that their is a clock named that.
The Bus because he ran like one.
Chadmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
Stu Pidasso
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Around my circles, we call Suisham SUSHI !!!!
Stu Pidasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802

Quote:
Originally Posted by caplovestroyp43 View Post
I love these guys AND their nicknames. Some of them are completely absurd, but that's what makes them so great. That and their penchant for elevating even the most trivial of plays into something that may actually be of life or death importance, in terms of winning the game. It's like who cares if we're in the 4th quarter, with maybe, you know, two and a half minutes left to play and the Steelers leading by an insurmountable three scores -and who cares if the next play has Ben handing his ball of to Mendy - a play that will almost invariably result in a gain or loss of one yard, give or take a yard. Tunch and Hillgrove can take a play like that and someway make it sound like the result of the play is maybe a matter of life or death - the entire game may hinge on it!!!!!

I love those guys. Seriously, sometimes I'll mute the TV and listen to them while watching the game - absurd delay be damned. (Admittedly, it is sort of cool to know what's going to happen about 6 seconds before it happens lol)