Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #31
Opt2loc
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19028
Default Re: Defenseless reciever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
I don't want to get into a pissing match about who bitches about refs more after a loss...but it's a little bit telling when there are a couple of threads at the Ravens official message board bitching about whether or not the refs will favor the Steelers like always BEFORE the game.

Every teams fans should be bitching about the refs (win or lose) in general though. They keep getting worse and worse every year. I certainly don't blame them for the loss...the Steelers have managed to win worse officiated games than that. They had a chance to put the game away on both offense and defense, and didn't. Simple as that. Kudos to the Ravens for getting it done this time.

100% agree

Some Raven fans do think the refs favor the Steelers. By reading some of these post, some Steeler fans feel the same way about the refs favoring the Ravens. Bottom line is, get far enough ahead so the refs can't make a difference.
Opt2loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #32
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

Bottom line is its CLEAR Clark led with his shoulder and accidentaly collided heads,and thats the grey area of the rule,which to me should not bring a fine!These guys are playing at full speed and if replay shows the tackler on the other hand leading with a shoulder,that really should nullify a fine! R. Lewis on the other hand was blantant in his attempt to destroy Ward! Oh yea,remember when Harrison was targeted last year as a dirty player,the league sent video to all teams on how to "properly" hit and tackle! Starring,you guessed it, R. Lewis! Thats why he wont get a fine,and if they both do,Clarks will be greater!
Old 11-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #33
RichardCullinanForever
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18924

And everyone has yet to mention that the Hines play was reviewed. It was called a catch on the field, the official went under the booth and had to watch the helmet-to-helmet no call 6 times in a row, and STILL had the balls to call it an incomplete pass. What a moron. If I'm basing my opinion on accordance to the NFL rules, I just don't think there was CONCLUSIVE evidence that showed that Ward didn't have control of the ball. Likewise, if it was called incomplete on the field, once again, I think the right call would be to rule it incomplete because it was too difficult to determine. These officials don't even know the rules of the NFL. And the other challenge, don't even get me started on that. These officials were morons, and the fact doesn't change whether we win or lose... I still think he had control of the ball, got hit, maintained control, fell to the ground while still maintaining control, and let if fall our a second or two after he made contact with the field.

Last edited by RichardCullinanForever; 11-07-2011 at 10:29 AM.
RichardCullinanForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #34
Nevermore
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14524

Player has to control the ball all the way to the ground in the act of a catch. The determined he was going to the ground in the process of the catch and since the ball ended up on the turf and not in his hands at the end of the hit, he didn't catch it. That is the rule...

Whether it is a stupid way to interpret a catch is up for debate, but it is the way it is currently written and was enforced correctly.

Helmet to helmet is not reviewable. And to change the "correct call" because you missed a penalty is not really the way to go...

The hit was worth 15 yards and a fine. You didnt' get the 15. Hopefully the league will maintain some consistency and levy the fine.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #35
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,732 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
ryan clark couldnt be suspended untill he got atleast one more personal foul. he got that tonight.

the refs(goodell) arent looking to add strikes to ray lewis, hence no penalty. clark has been a marked man all season.
Say what you want about Ryan Clark but the dude ****ing BRINGS IT! Old-school football! The way football was meant to be played! Clark brings the damn boom and there's no doubt he's marked. Always will be. Ray Lewis on the other hand? Helmet to helmet on Hines but that's okay, I can understand somebody not wanting to get murdered. Hines got a helmet to helmet that knocked him out of last years N.E game, no call. Didn't Heath get his neck completely bent in half last year with no-call? Can't remember if they threw the flag on that or not. Coincidence? I think not. It's BS if you ask me but hey, we're fine. On to Cincy.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #36
mizzouristeeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17519

They didn't throw a flag on the hit on heath
mizzouristeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #37
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt2loc View Post
100% agree

Some Raven fans do think the refs favor the Steelers. By reading some of these post, some Steeler fans feel the same way about the refs favoring the Ravens. Bottom line is, get far enough ahead so the refs can't make a difference.
BINGO!.......I was thinking the same thing, get ahead far enough then dont let the refs determine the outcome of the game. But you know theres still gonna be that one straggler thats gonna still be blaming the loss's on the refs. After all the Steeler fans are still engaging in Seadawg fans who still believe that to this day.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #38
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
BINGO!.......I was thinking the same thing, get ahead far enough then dont let the refs determine the outcome of the game. But you know theres still gonna be that one straggler thats gonna still be blaming the loss's on the refs. After all the Steeler fans are still engaging in Seadawg fans who still believe that to this day.
The only, ONLY time I ever nearly blamed the refs was after a game the Steelers won (Steelers/Chargers game of '08). That was one of those nutty games where it was nearly impossible to get ahead because of all the calls on the field. Typically calls go both ways though, so it kind of negates that.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #39
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
The only, ONLY time I ever nearly blamed the refs was after a game the Steelers won (Steelers/Chargers game of '08). That was one of those nutty games where it was nearly impossible to get ahead because of all the calls on the field. Typically calls go both ways though, so it kind of negates that.
the Jacksonville game from 2004 was probably even worse.. we were penalized 11 times to their 3. the phantom illegal contact calls were atrocious.

i hate when fans of other teams say Steelers get all the calls and that we have no right to ever complain about officiating.. all because of SB XL.. 2002 Joe Nedney's act job in the divisional round... 2005 Polamalu's INT in the divisional round.. 2007 missed holding call on Harrison in the Wild Card round. that's three outright incorrect, game changing calls in one decade during the postseason... two of which ended up costing us the season.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote