Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 11-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
NoFieldFive
Starter

Member Number: 10965
Default Re: Should have tried FG

with the #2 defense in the NFL you should be able to count on your D to stop the other team from going 90 yards in 2 minutes
NoFieldFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,129 Times in 2,629 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

david johnson shoulda caught the ball.

in all seriousness, that FG was way too long to be kicked at the open end of heinz field. no way that would have been good.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #13
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,141 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
david johnson shoulda caught the ball.

in all seriousness, that FG was way too long to be kicked at the open end of heinz field. no way that would have been good.
No argument about Johnson -- he catches that ball and it's all over.

But the field goal would have been 47 yards with no wind.

I mean I probably couldn't do it, but "open end" or not, a professional kicker should be able to.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #14
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

i was glad they punted at the time.. if he misses that, they would have gotten the ball in perfect field position to set up a game winning drive. i thought our chances of stopping a 92 yard drive with 2 minutes to go were better than Suisham making a 47 yd FG at Heinz.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,254 Times in 526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
i was glad they punted at the time.. if he misses that, they would have gotten the ball in perfect field position to set up a game winning drive. i thought our chances of stopping a 92 yard drive with 2 minutes to go were better than Suisham making a 47 yd FG at Heinz.
Shit, I was more indecisive as Tomlin was at that point! My brother asked me "What do we do here? do we kick it?" My response? "Absolutely! You get points anyway you can and make it one possession!" Then at the second I said it, I hesitated "....but how awesome would it be to end this game pinning them back with the defense on the field rather than risking a so/so Suisham and risk giving them the ball at the 50 yard line.."

In my honest opinion, I thought at that point in time that there was NO better situation than what we were in to finish the game. Defense on the field, 92 yards to go, a touchdown to win it. The odds were just HUGELY stacked against Baltimore and I loved the entire situation and I'm sure the majority Steelers fans did as well.

Point blank: Flacco Roethlisberger'd us!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #16
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Sweet cheeks at a 47 yard FG......he missed a few 42 yarders. The punt was a better thing to do.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #17
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,129 Times in 2,629 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
No argument about Johnson -- he catches that ball and it's all over.

But the field goal would have been 47 yards with no wind.

I mean I probably couldn't do it, but "open end" or not, a professional kicker should be able to.
debatable whether he would have made the kick. suisham doesn't have the best track record past 40 yards. if we were talking a prime jeff reed then sure as hell you kick the ball.

i think from now on if we win the coin toss at home, we should choose the receive the ball. I'm sure tomlin's decision would have been more decisive if we were facing the closed end of the stadium in the 4th quarter.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #18
jjpro11
Living Legend

i think you also have to account for the fact that the Ravens already needed a TD. it's not like a FG would have increased the lead from a one point game to a four point game. it's all really moot anyways.. we were going to kick the FG, but play clock didn't reset properly and the bonehead refs didn't realize it. right now obviously you wish they had attempted the FG.. if they make it, it's a 7 point game.. if they miss, and with the good field position, maybe the Ravens score with some time on the board for Ben to put together a drive.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #19
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
I thought Tomlin let the clock run out to get 5 more yards for his punter.

I think we should have at least tried the kick.

As it turned out, on the first play from the 7, Baltimore gained 23 yards to the 30 so what difference would it have made if Suisham missed?

Like I said in another post, if we tried the kick and missed, Baltimore would have had the shorter field to begin with and if they then gained the same 23 yds. on their first play, they would have probably scored sooner and at least we would have had maybe a minute left with a couple T.O's and only needing 3 pts. to tie.

Pinning them backfired not just because they scored but because by the time they scored we only had 8 seconds left.
All of this..........I would have said if you hadn't.

The only thing I'll add is for anyone who compares this to SBXLV, when Tomlin stupidly put in Suisam to attempt a 52 yarder. Like I've ranted about before, I was the only guy in the bar to say "What the hell are you doing Tomlin? He won't make this kick! Punt it or go for it on 4th!"

So, you'd think I'd be right behind that same logic in a similar situation this year, but things are slightly different now. 1) Suisam was not signed mid-year, like last year, and has gotten a bit more experience since then. 2) I know he can make mid-40 yd fgs and 47 seems more than makeable now. 3) We were in the lead by 4 and that 3 would've made a giant difference, unlike in SBXLV. 4) Everything else listed in the quote.

Another mistake there Mike.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
jjpro11
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
All of this..........I would have said if you hadn't.

The only thing I'll add is for anyone who compares this to SBXLV, when Tomlin stupidly put in Suisam to attempt a 52 yarder. Like I've ranted about before, I was the only guy in the bar to say "What the hell are you doing Tomlin? He won't make this kick! Punt it or go for it on 4th!"

So, you'd think I'd be right behind that same logic in a similar situation this year, but things are slightly different now. 1) Suisam was not signed mid-year, like last year, and has gotten a bit more experience since then. 2) I know he can make mid-40 yd fgs and 47 seems more than makeable now. 3) We were in the lead by 4 and that 3 would've made a giant difference, unlike in SBXLV. 4) Everything else listed in the quote.

Another mistake there Mike.
actually, i'd argue the opposite.. last year after he was brought in, he went 14 for 15 in the regular season. this year he's only 15 for 20. i'd have more faith in him to make both the Super Bowl kick and last night's kick if it were last year rather than this year.