Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
dcsteel5804
Team Captain

Member Number: 9373
Default Despite the loss, outlook for the Steelers is good

With 30 seconds to go in the game, I figured we would hold out and get away with a slim victory over our hated division rivals. Instead, the secondary had a monstrous breakdown (as Ryan Clark admitted) and let Torrey Smith get behind them (again) and catch the game winning touchdown. Talk about letting all the wind out of the sails.

However, I loved the game, and this is why. First of all, I thought we played pretty horribly through the first half. We were able to move the ball down field, but couldn't crack the goal line and had to settle for field goals. The defense definitely was not great, and could not get off the field on third down. Lets face it, Joe Flacco played a great game on third down. Many times, he was under pressure and made the pinpoint throws to move the chains. Yet despite these things, we were still able to gain the lead. The defense was able to come up with a turnover and the offense was able to put 7's on the board. In the end, a little better execution on the Steelers final drive and we could have at least eeked out a field goal and created 7 point lead, or, best case scenario, iced the game. But, it is what it is.

Also, the officiating was absolutely putrid. I don't blame the loss on that, because we still should have won, but the inconsistency in the calls, mostly slanted against our team really hurt us. I remember the call on Ike that set up a touchdown, a call on Ryan Clark that set up some points, and the blatant pushoff by Torrey Smith that allowed him to catch the game winning touchdown. Not to mention countless holding calls missed on Harrison and other LB's.

Anyways, the Steeler's did not execute very well in crunch time and ref's completely blew, yet they nearly won the game, and in all reality should have won the game. I do not believe that Baltimore is really better than us as a football team, they just executed better today and had some help by the zebras. I think we have a confident team that knows that they can do, and will be dominant for the remainder of the season, maybe running the table. I think the Ravens will revert to form against lesser opponents and lose some games they should win.

Ultimately, I think we will see them again in the playoffs, at home or away, it doesn't matter, but I can guarantee the results will be different. I wouldn't be surprised if we blow them out. I honestly smell another Superbowl appearance because I think we're a better team this year than last.

On a side note, just think how dominant our D would have been had Woodley played opposite of Harrison. I think the D would have definitely been able to get some more pressure on Flacco on the last drive but, it is what it is
dcsteel5804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,453 Times in 3,544 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Despite the loss, outlook for the Steelers is good

I agree, I thought we did look less than perfect, but still good enough to beat the ravens bringing their A game. I'm not worried about this season. With Woodley back in the lineup, opposite of a healthy james harrison, the defense will improve. Having emmanuel sanders back will also be big.

Last I checked, we're playing next week. We haven't been knocked out of contention yet and the season doesn't end until february. LOT of football left to be played.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

http://steelerfreakmov.blogspot.com/...-steelers.html

Disagree.

The defense looked good on first and second down and was lost on third down. 14 of 21 is no joke...now, I think Woodley would have helped with that but still. The D sucked when it mattered, they allowed the Ravens to go 92 yards in a minute.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
dcsteel5804
Team Captain

Member Number: 9373

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BaileyFan View Post

Disagree.

The defense looked good on first and second down and was lost on third down. 14 of 21 is no joke...now, I think Woodley would have helped with that but still. The D sucked when it mattered, they allowed the Ravens to go 92 yards in a minute.
I agree, and stats don't lie. Thats a horrible 3rd down percentage for a D-fense, but the fact is, despite those numbers, we were still winning up until 8 seconds left. A few good plays at the end (which didn't happen, I know), but we pull the game out despite those bad numbers. I'm just saying we didn't play very well and we really should have won the game.
dcsteel5804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Man i can hear the media this week on how the Steelers D is getting old again....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
Man i can hear the media this week on how the Steelers D is getting old again....
Ehh...f#@$ 'em. They were wrong the first time and they would be wrong again. Our corners aren't that old and they were the ones burnt the most. We were missing a key pass rusher and a team leader and we had bad D playcalling, this is a good defense. We just shut down Brady last week, if the key players are healthy we can beat anybody. Coaches are to blame for a good part of our defensive struggles too. The Bengals game is huge. This team can go the way of '05 or the way of '09.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,453 Times in 3,544 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Ehh...f#@$ 'em. They were wrong the first time and they would be wrong again. Our corners aren't that old and they were the ones burnt the most. We were missing a key pass rusher and a team leader and we had bad D playcalling, this is a good defense. We just shut down Brady last week, if the key players are healthy we can beat anybody. Coaches are to blame for a good part of our defensive struggles too. The Bengals game is huge. This team can go the way of '05 or the way of '09.
i wont mind going the way of '05. the bengals dropping one to us in the playoffs is proof that winning the division means jack shit in january. yeah they can have the AFC north crown, I'll take the lombardi over that anytime.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BaileyFan View Post

Disagree.

we were so bad on 3rd down because all they did was run the ball on 1st and 2nd and throw on 3rd.. it was so damn predictable. we had no answer for that lob pass over the defense.. you didn't see Flacco throwing tight balls into coverage.. i mean shit, i can't remember a single one.. all his passes were fades/lobs over the defense. their whole game-plan was throw the ball over the top and hope for a holding penalty or catch.. for whatever reason, we just couldn't adjust and those plays worked all night.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Yeah i dont agree with all the media hype either......It would be nice to run the table like we did back in 05 but i dont think id wanna see us playing Green Bay again, unless we really got hot like we did then.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #10
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,148 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
we were so bad on 3rd down because all they did was run the ball on 1st and 2nd and throw on 3rd.. it was so damn predictable. we had no answer for that lob pass over the defense.. you didn't see Flacco throwing tight balls into coverage.. i mean shit, i can't remember a single one.. all his passes were fades/lobs over the defense. their whole game-plan was throw the ball over the top and hope for a holding penalty or catch.. for whatever reason, we just couldn't adjust and those plays worked all night.
I'm glad you saw the same thing I saw. Every time I see Flacco play, he's constantly being bailed out by lobs that result into a jump-ball and the offensive strategy being to earn the yellow flag. It happened again last night and the refs were overgenerous AGAIN with it. Baffles me that Smith actually PUSHED OFF Gay to create the dramatic ending. Unbelievable they win a game on a VERY CLEAR offensive push-off.