Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #11
Nevermore
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14524
Default Re: Steelers-Ravens thoughts II

Iowa, you have some legit points about the officiating and its inconsistency. Don't forget about the equally as controversial call in the first quarter on Smith's holding call (which negated a TD) and the early whistle at the goal line (which negated a TD).

The cookie crumbles both directions. PI or not, you let the Ravens drive 92 yards on Flacco's arm with two 3rd down conversions and 1 4th down conversion. The PI call was not the game changer. The team management in the last 5:30 of the game was. If you decide to run and work the clock vice giving us nice incomplete passes, thus stopping the clock and saving our TOs, you win. We don't have 8 seconds to score in the corner of the endzone....

Officials definetly make things harder or easier, but the end of this game came down to execution. Unfortunately for you, the Ravens executed and the Steelers didn't. It was a great game and I'm sure it will be again in January.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,688 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Well I would sure hope the Ravens could execute when they got Oher out there tackling LB's to the ground by their shoulder pads and the refs calling pass interference on the defense for getting shoved off on. Pretty hard for the defense to win games when everything is getting called against them and nothing is getting called on the Ravens.

69 Yards of Penalities against Pittsburgh and 3 Penalties were of the 1st Down variety. 20 Yards of Penalties against Baltimore with none of them being of the 1st Down variety. There's something wrong with that when we should of at least had one drive extended when Lewis decided to lead with his helmet on Ward. Boy oh boy though when Ryan Clark hit Ed Dickson the Officials probably got boners they wanted to throw those flags so bad. I wholeheartedly agree the Ravens came out and won the game in Week 1. We shot ourselves in the foot with turnover, after turnover, after turnover in that game and the Ravens capitalized on our mistakes. We got manhandled. This game however was a much different story.

As for the first flag for holding on Torrey Smith on the Ray Rice run. That was rightfully so. Smith was grabbing jersey and pads and William Gay would've likely made the tackle had he not been held. That was one of the only good calls I saw the officials make all night. Never in my life have I been so angry at NFL officials. These guys should go officiate in Conference USA because they don't belong in the NFL.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
Corvus
Water Boy

Member Number: 19146

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
Clark is being fined for a legal textbook hit that knocked the ball loose and I'm scratching my head! Rodger Goodell is determined to punish the Steelers regardless of if the fine makes any sense at all. Should NFL team owners stand up to Goodell in defense of their players? This is really getting out of hand, protect players but don't turn the NFL into the NBA where a slap on the wrist is viewed as excessive contact or unnecessary roughness. This is a contact sport..... Right?
Ravens/Steelers rivalry aside, you are correct. Teams like ours that play smash mouth (read: real old fashioned) football are getting squeezed out via these fines. Love them or hate them both the Steelers and Ravens play that sort of ball. Its why thier games are usually so good. The hard hitting run game is getting fined out of existence.
Corvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #14
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
Iowa, you have some legit points about the officiating and its inconsistency. Don't forget about the equally as controversial call in the first quarter on Smith's holding call (which negated a TD) and the early whistle at the goal line (which negated a TD).

The cookie crumbles both directions. PI or not, you let the Ravens drive 92 yards on Flacco's arm with two 3rd down conversions and 1 4th down conversion. The PI call was not the game changer. The team management in the last 5:30 of the game was. If you decide to run and work the clock vice giving us nice incomplete passes, thus stopping the clock and saving our TOs, you win. We don't have 8 seconds to score in the corner of the endzone....

Officials definetly make things harder or easier, but the end of this game came down to execution. Unfortunately for you, the Ravens executed and the Steelers didn't. It was a great game and I'm sure it will be again in January.
The inconsistencies kill it for me. I hate the new rules more than I hate the ratbirds. It takes away from these type of games where you know someone (if not multiple players) is going to get knocked out. The fact that the refs see certain plays and not other plays that are identical is confusing and frustrating as a fan.

But you're right, bottomline is that the officials didn't allow the ratbirds to drive 92 yards in about 2 minutes. While the onus belongs to the Steelers Defense, the real crime is the time management game we played in the last drive before punting!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
SteelSkirts
Banned

Member Number: 19151

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
Personally while I feel the Steelers should of been able to get a stop on the last Ratbird's drive of the game I must say it has to be pretty difficult to do anything to stop them from throwing the ball when your lineman are getting blocked below the knees and your blitzing linebackers are getting held. Watch this video;

Approximately 6 Seconds in Jason Worilds comes on an edge blitz and has position on Michael Oher. Oher knows he's beat so he grabs Worilds by the shoulder pads and promptly pulls him down to the turf. This was a blatantly obvious holding call. Worilds likely would have at least hit Flacco or hurried him on the play but he was held by Oher and Oher got away with it scott free.

The same video shows the game winning touchdown catch (BS). Ravens fans say that William Gay was interfering with Torrey Smith but the rules say otherwise.

Per NFL Rules

Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a defenderís hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.

(b) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players.

(d) Laying a hand on a receiver that does not restrict the receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(e) Contact by a defender who has gained position on a receiver in an attempt to catch the ball.

At no point did William Gay do anything to impede Torrey Smith from running his route, nor did he restrict him from making a play on the ball in the endzone. In fact Torrey Smith visibily pushes off William Gay in the endzone which allowed him to make a touchdown catch and impeded Gay from making a play on the ball. Also noteworthy is the fact that Gay turned and looked for the ball. If he had blindly put his hands on the receiver without looking for the ball that would have constituted defensive pass interference.

Per the NFL Rules in regards to offensive pass interference:

Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched.

(b) Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

(c) Driving through a defender who has established a position on the field.

I think we al know that what Smith did was offensive pass interference. Apparently though we had a deaf, dumb, blind, and mute group of officials calling this game.

As far as the hit on Ward, that plainly should have been penalized. Lewis came in for the hit with his helmet first. I was blind with rage after that hit was not penalized and then they penalized Ryan Clark for hitting Dickson when he came in for the tackle shoulder first. DIckson lowered his helmet which caused the coincidental helmet to helmet contact.

The pass interference call on Ike Taylor was another inexcusable call by the officials in this game. While the Steelers could have won it in the end with better D, they were still hindered by the officials and that shouldn't happen.
You're from Iowa for starters. Crying over penalties is for the ladies. That holding on Torrey Smith against Gay was just in fact GAY. Calls went both ways that game. The first half (minus the actualy score) you got outplayed.

If you let penalties decide the game you obviously didn't play well enough to win if so the penalties wouldnt matter much anyways

Bandwagon Iowa fans, typical corn fed cry babies
SteelSkirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #16
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,095 Times in 841 Posts

You want to talk about bandwagon? How about all you scumbags coming out of the woodwork. You cowards wouldn't dare to show your faces before the game. Typical cop-out by you pukes. Showing your true colors. You just make sure you come back when the Black and Gold ends your season sometime in the near future!

Old 11-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #17
micraydim
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18601
My Mood: Busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelax04 View Post
Anyone been able to find clarification on what exactly happened with the delay of game? I've heard that the refs never reset the play clock or Tomlin screwed up.
anyway , no idea about it .
micraydim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #18
CTFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 18739

Why don't they just put some padding on the outside of the helmet as well as on the indisde. That hard shell isn't protecting anyone from anything, it's just an accidental weapon.
CTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #19
Danny136200
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17651

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelSkirts View Post
You're from Iowa for starters. Crying over penalties is for the ladies. That holding on Torrey Smith against Gay was just in fact GAY. Calls went both ways that game. The first half (minus the actualy score) you got outplayed.

If you let penalties decide the game you obviously didn't play well enough to win if so the penalties wouldnt matter much anyways

Bandwagon Iowa fans, typical corn fed cry babies
The only thing that you said that was a legitimate argument is that Steelers did not play enough to win. Other than that, you sound like an Ohio State fan. they kinda suck.
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:09 AM   #20
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
© If Ryan Clark had hit Hines Ward the way Ray Lewis did in the first quarter, a penalty flag would have been thrown.

That hit on Ward was clearly helmet to helmet and should have resulted in a penalty.

Clark was flagged for a hit on Smith later in the game that, while a penalty under the letter of the (new) law, wasn't nearly as vicious as the hit Lewis put on Ward.
+1
Quote:
© While we're on the subject of Ward, I apparently no longer know what constitutes a catch in the NFL.

Ward caught the ball, got hit in the head by Lewis, yet went to the ground with the ball in his possession. Once he landed, the ball was knocked loose by a defender's behind.

Ward was already flat on his back when the ball finally came loose, or at least that's the way I saw it from the replays I viewed.
+1
Quote:
© I understand Mike Tomlin's hesitation to send Shaun Suisham onto the field to kick what would have been a 47-yard field goal into the open end of Heinz Field late in the game with the Steelers up 20-16.

With a new holder and kicking into that end, it was probably about a 50-50 proposition that Suisham would have made the kick.
I actually think the odds were a bit better than 50/50, and was the smarter call at least by merit of leaving a little more time on the clock in case the D gives up big yardage........as such was the case.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote