Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-08-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default On the Steelers: Defense not in the zone in tough loss to Ravens

On the Steelers: Defense not in the zone in tough loss to Ravens
Secondary fails after success vs. Patriots
Tuesday, November 08, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Matt Freed /Post-Gazette
William Gay walks off the field after being beaten to the end zone by the Ravens' Torrey Smith for the winning touchdown with less than 10 seconds remaining Sunday at Heinz Field.

Did success against Tom Brady and the New England Patriots spoil the Steelers pass defense Sunday night against the Baltimore Ravens?

The Steelers tactics on defense Oct. 30 against Brady were hailed for shutting down one of the great passers in NFL history. The Steelers, who usually play plenty of zone defense in the secondary behind Dick LeBeau's famed fire-zone blitzes, did little of that while beating New England, 25-17, and holding Brady to 198 yards passing.

Instead they played more man-to-man, their cornerbacks coming closer to the line of scrimmage opposite the receivers in what is known as "press" coverage.

And, likely under the theory that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, they played a lot of that same defense against Joe Flacco and the Ravens.

Only this time, Flacco torched them. He completed 28 of 47 passes for 300 yards and he converted 14 of 21 third downs, the most conversions in Ravens history.

Despite his success, the Steelers played that defense right up until the bitter end, with corners playing man-to-man press coverage as Baltimore swept downfield from its 8 and moved in for the kill. Flacco threw deep a number of times against that coverage and a couple of times, his receivers had the coverage beat. Rookie Torrey Smith dropped one of those in the end zone after beating Ike Taylor on a pass from the 37.

Later, Smith hung on after beating cornerback William Gay for the 26-yard touchdown pass that gave Baltimore a 23-20 victory with eight seconds to go.

Mike Tomlin was hired by Tony Dungy to coach his secondary in Tampa Bay, and Sunday night Dungy was critical of how Tomlin's Steelers played that final drive on defense.

"I thought Joe Flacco was outstanding. He was poised. He made some great throws," Dungy began in his postgame comments on NBC-TV's "Football Night in America."

"But the one thing I have to say, Dick LeBeau is a tremendous defensive coach, but I did not understand those last three plays from about the 25-yard line. Bump-and-run coverage, really giving them a chance, as Flacco said, to take those shots into the end zone where you get a chance for a long pass interference penalty or the deep touchdown. I didn't understand the defense the Steelers were in there, at the end." (Arians' stupidity must be wearing off on LeBeau since the Airhead is notorious for not making in game adjustments. Are our players incapable of using more than one type of defense or offense during a game? - mesa)

Turns out, the Ravens got a pass interference penalty and a touchdown on that final long fling by Flacco.

Ryan Clark took some blame, saying he was late getting over to help out Gay, but maybe they just played the wrong defense.

Smith, Baltimore's second-round draft choice this season, is the Ravens version of Mike Wallace, an unpolished receiver who has blazing speed and came into the game averaging 21.7 yards per catch. Yet, instead of making sure he did not get behind their corners, here was Smith's version of his winning touchdown:

"The final play was actually supposed to be a speed-out so I could catch the ball and get out of bounds. But, [Gay] was in press coverage and I was just able to run past him. I saw he was holding onto me a little bit, and held onto me a little bit earlier. I saw the ball in the air, and I saw the flag out of the corner of my eye, so I gave him a little nudge myself and was able to get open."
Hope remains for title

With nearly half the season left, the Steelers chances to win the AFC North Division did not end with their loss Sunday to Baltimore. They were seriously set back.

Provided Cincinnati does not become involved in a three-way tie or keep pace, then for the Steelers to win the division over Baltimore they must finish one game ahead. That means if Baltimore finishes the second half of the season at 6-2, as the Ravens did the first half, the Steelers must win the rest of their seven games. If the Ravens go 5-3, the Steelers must go at least 6-1.

Baltimore's remaining schedule: at Seattle, Cincinnati, San Francisco, at Cleveland, Indianapolis, at San Diego, Cleveland, at Cincinnati.

The Steelers: at Cincinnati, at Kansas City, Cincinnati, Cleveland, at San Francisco, St. Louis, at Cleveland.

"I feel like we have a really good football team," Tomlin said. "We will have more opportunities to show it."
Indecision proves costly

One debate that has raged since Sunday night was Tomlin's inability to decide whether to try a field goal or punt on fourth-and-5 at the Baltimore 29 with 2:34 left in a game the Steelers led by four points.

The indecision cost the Steelers a delay of game penalty of 5 yards, and then Jeremy Kapinos punted to the Baltimore 8.

Tomlin had three choices before the penalty: Go for it on fourth down, punt, try a 47-yard field goal.

Had they gone for it and not made it, Baltimore would have started its next series between the 25-29, provided the Steelers lost no yardage on a sack, etc. Had they gone for it and made it, they probably could have run the clock out and won the game. Had they gone for the field goal into the notorious Heinz Field open end and missed, Baltimore would have started its series at the 37. Had they made the field goal, they would have kicked off and Baltimore still could have tied the score with a touchdown.

As it turns out, the punt to the 8 afforded the NFL's No. 2 defense, No. 1 against the pass, to stop Flacco and his offense somewhere over the next 92 yards, and it did not.

"I accept responsibility for that," Tomlin said of the penalty. "There was some hesitation on my part. I was concerned about that distance. We had some changes in personnel with a new holder [Kapinos]. Under the circumstances, I didn't want to give them the ball on that short of a field. I sent the group out there a little late. We ended up with a delay of game, and then I made the decision to make them work the long length of the field, and ultimately that was probably the best option for us."

Move the chains

Joe Flacco and the Baltimore offense converted 14 of 21 third downs Sunday night, the most in Ravens history.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11312...#ixzz1d78w85Cs

Last edited by mesaSteeler; 11-08-2011 at 07:17 AM.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: On the Steelers: Defense not in the zone in tough loss to Ravens

They were in the zone....

the end zone

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Gay should have had help on Smith, especially with Smiths speed and Gay not being a very fast guy...Other than that i don't have problem with their D...
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
StillerzFreak
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15955

WE HAVE TO GET OFF THE FIELD ON THIRD DOWN! 14-21 is unacceptable, defense was great besides getting off the field on 3rd down.
StillerzFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
Opt2loc
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19028

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillerzFreak View Post
WE HAVE TO GET OFF THE FIELD ON THIRD DOWN! 14-21 is unacceptable, defense was great besides getting off the field on 3rd down.
Don't forget the 4th down play either. That had to sting.
Opt2loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,292 Times in 3,476 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt2loc View Post
Don't forget the 4th down play either. That had to sting.
are you just sticking around to be a troll? I hope the ravens team is just as stuck on this win as you guys are, so you'll have another letdown like tennessee
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,311 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I guess Ravens fans will never understand the idea that 6>2,3,4,5 so until you get 7 just please shut up already - yes, you beat us, it sucks for us but you're still 2nd fiddle - honestly, you're better off on the Jets, Chiefs, Bears, Rams, Bucs, and Saints boards where you can relate to other fans that have only celebrated 1 SB victory. You're legacy as a fan base is closer to the Bengal's fan base than it is ours so please just go away OR move to another city, yet again

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,757 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
They were in the zone....

the end zone