Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-15-2006, 09:02 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts
Default worst motorcycle experience?

whats yours?

as a kid i was riding on the back of my buddies kx80 down an alley at about 30mph. my foot hit a rock and bounced my foot up into the back spokes. we almost crashed into a dumpster (with no helmets of course). while it chewed up my new pair of reebok "moneys" and hurt like a mo-fo, if it werent for the one inch soles i might still have a severe limp.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:41 AM   #2
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304
Default Re: worst motorcycle experience?

I have two. What is it about a man when he gets a woman on the back of a bike?

My husband's friend came over and wanted to take me for a ride, I told him No, the only thing I knew about bikes was I was afraid of them. My husband urged me to get on his buddy's bike and just ride with him down to Waverly Rd and back (which is about 1 mile on a busy street). So, I looked at this mammoth mass of metal and against my better judgement got on the back of the bike. It was fine until we were out of site of my husband (about 3 minutes) then this jerk did a wheelie the rest of the way down the street. I got off that damn thing crying and it was unsaid that I would not be getting on another one any time soon.

Then one hot summer night we were out to my husband's cousin's. He is a nice farm boy whose idea of a good time is alternating between watching grass grow and watching paint dry (or so I thought) so I knew he would be safe and found no reason to tell him about my first cycle experience. In his significant life, his focus was this farm, nothing more. He probably would not understand anyway.

I got on his bike (again huge mass of metal) and we rode down this curvy country road and it was really fun............for about a mile......then he gunned it, did the wheelie thing, and scared and shocked the living crap out of me.

We all hear motorcycle people making comments about educating the public on proper gear, to dress for the crash as opposed to dress for the ride (depending upon how they feel about these very small matters ) Neither of these guys said to me, "I would love to take you for a ride but you are not dressed properly." Men don't care how a woman is dressed they just want one on the back of their bike, why?

Also, why do men buy a big bike to "learn on" and why do they feel that one safety course is unnecessary? From what I have seen, and "my experience" is more extensive than what I have written. Most bikers are one helicopter ride away from the hospital. I never had the urge to tempt fate and see how close I can come to the concrete without actually hitting it. I know I am boring. Alive but boring.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:52 AM   #3
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn
I have two. What is it about a man when he gets a woman on the back of a bike?

My husband's friend came over and wanted to take me for a ride, I told him No, the only thing I knew about bikes was I was afraid of them. My husband urged me to get on his buddy's bike and just ride with him down to Waverly Rd and back (which is about 1 mile on a busy street). So, I looked at this mammoth mass of metal and against my better judgement got on the back of the bike. It was fine until we were out of site of my husband (about 3 minutes) then this jerk did a wheelie the rest of the way down the street. I got off that damn thing crying and it was unsaid that I would not be getting on another one any time soon.

Then one hot summer night we were out to my husband's cousin's. He is a nice farm boy whose idea of a good time is alternating between watching grass grow and watching paint dry (or so I thought) so I knew he would be safe and found no reason to tell him about my first cycle experience. In his significant life, his focus was this farm, nothing more. He probably would not understand anyway.

I got on his bike (again huge mass of metal) and we rode down this curvy country road and it was really fun............for about a mile......then he gunned it, did the wheelie thing, and scared and shocked the living crap out of me.

We all hear motorcycle people making comments about educating the public on proper gear, to dress for the crash as opposed to dress for the ride (depending upon how they feel about these very small matters ) Neither of these guys said to me, "I would love to take you for a ride but you are not dressed properly." Men don't care how a woman is dressed they just want one on the back of their bike, why?

Also, why do men buy a big bike to "learn on" and why do they feel that one safety course is unnecessary? From what I have seen, and "my experience" is more extensive than what I have written. Most bikers are one helicopter ride away from the hospital. I never had the urge to tempt fate and see how close I can come to the concrete without actually hitting it. I know I am boring. Alive but boring.
First off let me say I am sorry for your experiences on the back of a bike. The "men" you were with obviously don't have the experience to have a woman on the back of a bike, it could've been so much more enjoyable. Don't stereotype us all because of a few bad experiences. Motorcycle riders, the ones who do know how to ride and value human life are the safest drivers on the road. We have to be more aware of our surroundings then anyone on the road because we are on two wheels and not in a cage(car). Most accidents between riders and cagers happen because the cager wasn't paying attention and its usually "I didn't see him/her". We have to be highly visible day and night and always riding on the offensive as well as defensive. Riding to me is one of the most enjoyable experiences in my life, you see the world through a different set of eyes. Just wanted to get that off my chest.....

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!

Last edited by DIESELMAN; 06-20-2006 at 09:55 AM.
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

I have 2.

First:: Many years ago as a kid I had ridden small dirt bikes but not a bigger street bike. When I was in college I tried out a friends street bike. I wound up dropping it on my leg and burning the hell outta my calf on the exhaust pipe. :o(

Second:: Just earlier this year in fact. I'm now an experienced rider. I've had my cycle for 13 years now. I was ridding one afternoon and saw a typical "old guy" car looking ready to make a left turn across my lane from a parking lot. As I got closer I saw that it was an older driver and he was wearing a hat. It was on a 45 mph road.

DING DING DING!! Danger Will Robinson! I let off the throttle and prepared to brake. Well I kept getting closer and closer and closer. Then he looked right at me and stayed put. I relaxed a little and wouldn't ya know it. That's when he pulled out in front of me. I grabbed the front brake as hard as I could and also locked up the rear initially. AHHHH!!!!

I managed to keep it upright and slowed enough to avoid an impact with his rear quarter panel. My heart was pounding hard all the way after that.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:05 PM   #5
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELMAN
First off let me say I am sorry for your experiences on the back of a bike. The "men" you were with obviously don't have the experience to have a woman on the back of a bike, it could've been so much more enjoyable. Don't stereotype us all because of a few bad experiences. Motorcycle riders, the ones who do know how to ride and value human life are the safest drivers on the road. We have to be more aware of our surroundings then anyone on the road because we are on two wheels and not in a cage(car). Most accidents between riders and cagers happen because the cager wasn't paying attention and its usually "I didn't see him/her". We have to be highly visible day and night and always riding on the offensive as well as defensive. Riding to me is one of the most enjoyable experiences in my life, you see the world through a different set of eyes. Just wanted to get that off my chest.....

I could see it would be fun to go on a nice slow cycle ride, although the ppl I was with are definitely not representative of all cycle riders nor did I mean to imply such, if I did I apologize. I know there are good, safe riders out there, there must be :)
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:31 AM   #6
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

My brother up north has really gotten into them suddenly at age 48. combined that with our jewish heritage.
im expecting the phone call any day now.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote