Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 11-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528
Default Knee Jerkers

Someone pointed out how there are more so-called Steeler "fans" on this board after a loss than after a win. For some reason, the misery of a loss is a more valid and powerful emotion in their lives than the joy of a win.

When a loss happens, emotions and thoughts that were kept deep inside are suddenly brought up as indisputable facts. Empiric evidence of a players good play for 8 prior games are suddenly and immediately forgotten and trumped by what happened in 1 game, the last game. The "what have you done for me lately" school of thought becomes the paradigm to judge all things.

These fans choose to live game to game and have the long term memory of one game in which to make proclamations about our Steelers. And beware, no one is spared when these negative emotions are triggered.

Hines Ward is suddenly an enemy to progress. Polamalu is a nobody, someone to be discarded for not "producing. And favorite targets such as Arians and Gay take their pounding. Farrior and A. Smith were spared due to injury but I am confident that if they were on the field at all, shots of them being "too old' to play would have been thrown out.

Yes, to these SHALLOW fans, the sky is falling. Yes, I said it. SHALLOW! These fans are have the depth of a wafer at Sunday Mass. "Tomlin sucks!" "Gay sucks" "Lebeau sucks" "Offense sucks" "What's wrong with Ben?" "Mendenhall sucks!" "Did we really pay Heath all that money?" blah, blah, blah...

And they become indignant when their negativity is pointed out. They argue that people like me are "homers" ... that they have the right to criticize the Steelers when criticism is due and other platitudes and high horse crap about not kissing the Steelers' butts, etc...

Now don't get me wrong. I respect a good argument. I respect someone who has seen the broad picture and week in and week out has enjoyed the Steelers' winning but still harbor concerns about certain areas. I respect someone who chooses to point out tactical weakness within our organization but understands the limited resources that goes with a draft and salary cap. I respect that this game is a game of calculated risk and chances and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose and recognize the Steelers to be one of the organizations that has won more than they lost for a multitude of years. I respect these fans.

No that is not what I am pointing out. I am calling out people who criticize and demean Steeler players as a scapegoat for their own misery in their OWN lives. Those are the ones that come to this board when we lose as misery is the only catalyst in their lives in which they act. Dumping on these players and coachs actually makes them somewhat happier. Its the release they need to ease the misery.

And there are quite a lot of you. You are the people who, with stocks, buy high and sell low. You are the first to jump on the bandwagon and is the first to jump off the sinking ship. You are actually ... bipolar, and I would not be surprised if you exhibited this bipolar behavior in other parts of your lives, outside of sports.

Do you not believe me? Can people be this shallow and flippant? Can they be so easily swung from one emotion to another? I am sad that the Steelers lost but my overall view of the team is still the same and has not changed: We have a shot to go the the SB and win it but we still have work to do. But for others, this latest loss has brought the window of opportunity to go all EMO on us and be practically suicidal.

If you still do not believe me, let me prove it .... how would the message board have looked this week IF THE REF CALLED THE PASS INTERFERENCE ON TORREY SMITH ...

Would just one referree's call, just a one second moment in a game with 10,800 seconds, just one isolated twitch of a neuron in a referree's brain ... CHANGE EVERYTHING IN YOUR STEELER WORLD?

Shallow indeed.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,231 Times in 1,854 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Knee Jerkers

Only time I've ever bad mouthed my team was after our Super Bowl loss, and that one hurt. I share my opinions, as that's what a discussion board is for. I'll tell you right now, you hit it right on the mark. It's funny when you see one guy complain all week. Then we win on Sunday, and he's quite for 5 days.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,839 Times in 3,710 Posts

I am sad that the Steelers lost but my overall view of the team is still the same and has not changed: We have a shot to go the the SB and win it but we still have work to do. But for others, this latest loss has brought the window of opportunity to go all EMO on us and be practically suicidal.

i am tony hipchest and i approve this message.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Doubtful

If you still do not believe me, let me prove it .... how would the message board have looked this week IF THE REF CALLED THE PASS INTERFERENCE ON TORREY SMITH ...

The fans on this forum spend alot of time on a team they love and when a certain coach or player does or says something that seems odd or counterproductive fans get irritated.Thats what a forum is for, to cheer about the good times and rant about the bad. I may bad mouth certain players or plays but I praise a lot more, the funny thing is that there are a ton of positive threads and an equal amount of angry ones but people seem to pay closer attention to the upset posts. I love my team and will rave about them but when they screw up everyone here will know about it, that doesn't make me a bandwagon fan it just means I'm passionate and the black&gold.
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,868 Times in 2,905 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

some people just react differently and some are just venting. I don't think it's fair to diagnose some of these people as having real problems when they could be saying things they don't really mean out of frustration.

hell i was once like that 10 years ago. I've calmed down a lot since my high school days where I'd get into actual fights over people talking crap about my team.

With that said, I see us having a good season still and posted a couple threads about it. 5-3 is no reason whatsoever to panic. 5-4 maybe lol, jk
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:30 AM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
some people just react differently and some are just venting. I don't think it's fair to diagnose some of these people as having real problems when they could be saying things they don't really mean out of frustration.

hell i was once like that 10 years ago. I've calmed down a lot since my high school days where I'd get into actual fights over people talking crap about my team.

With that said, I see us having a good season still and posted a couple threads about it. 5-3 is no reason whatsoever to panic. 5-4 maybe lol, jk
so how about 6-3 ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:20 AM   #7
jmike
Water Boy

Member Number: 19154

I realize that I'm one of those members that "flocked" to the forums after the loss, but it wasn't really to badmouth anyone on the team or the team itself. I feel a bit of a catharsis when reading posts complaining about Sunday or even posting small tidbits of my thoughts. I have been following the Steelers for as long as I cared about professional football. My dedication to the team hasn't and won't waver!
jmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:27 AM   #8
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,043 Times in 509 Posts

I still would have called out the D(For their pathetic display on 3rd Down) and Gay

I don't know about others but I knew the true test for him and the rest of the secondary started with NE, so far they've had one pretty good game and one pretty bad game that hurt worse because now we're in a deep hole within our division

I was really pissed off early in the season when we entered the year with Scott at LT.....It really made me mad that the coaches couldn't foresee that disaster

Now that we got Starks back and are going with some youth in Gilbert, My general outlook has changed....The way it was going through week 3, there was no way we could compete for a title and probably would have had Ben in a body bag by Thanksgiving if not sooner

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:27 AM   #9
Big Daddy Beast
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19145

I know I'm not one of your intended targets even though I just started posting here, because a look at my brief posting history will show that I haven't blamed anyone for that loss, but your view is hypocritical. You say these people must have real problems in their own life because they blame a member(s) of our team's organization for a loss and vent about it on a message board, yet look how much time and energy you put into that post. You and them are all in the right; this is the reason for many message boards. Get your point across, no matter how valid it is or isn't.

That being said, I do applaud your passion.

As my old friend Chauncy said late in the evening of January 28, 1996: "Chill out, it's just a game."

Then I threw him out of a three story window.
Big Daddy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote