Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,451 Times in 1,640 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Knee Jerkers

I started out on the message boards this season with a glass half empty approach (obviously due to the opening week whooping, the lows associated with looking like IMHO a very mediocre 2-2 bubble team in the first quarter of the season)

During our 4 game winning streak I gradually got more and more excited about the team, and this squad - and it all culminated with the NE victory. Now - we are back down to earth a little with a second "stench" loss to the Ravens - and it hurts pretty bad for me.

We are a competitive 6-3 with 7 games to go. I see us finishing at 12-4 or 11-5 and as we all know - a season can swing either way within a matter of seconds/a turnover here/ a touchdown there. Would I have felt a whole lot better if we would have won this past week? Heck yes - who wouldn't. But, I'd still be cautiously optimistic with the emerging Bengals coming up.

Better we learn some lessons now, get into the playoffs no matter what the seed (and I think it is going to be dang hard to at least get the #1/#2 seed now - but not entirely impossible because the Ravens are very capable of thumping their chest too early - they still have a shot at stumbling down the strentch, thus giving up the division - but right now, if I had to answer - I'd say they will end up getting it) than go on a run only to stumble in single elimination. I can't see getting into the playoffs with less than an 11-5 record, which may every well get the #6 seed in WITH taking tiebreakers into consideration) I might be wrong, but after the Ravens, we got quite the log jam in the East and the North, with both divisions vying for 3 playoff births

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
queeg
Banned

Member Number: 18784

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
Someone pointed out how there are more so-called Steeler "fans" on this board after a loss than after a win. For some reason, the misery of a loss is a more valid and powerful emotion in their lives than the joy of a win.

When a loss happens, emotions and thoughts that were kept deep inside are suddenly brought up as indisputable facts. Empiric evidence of a players good play for 8 prior games are suddenly and immediately forgotten and trumped by what happened in 1 game, the last game. The "what have you done for me lately" school of thought becomes the paradigm to judge all things.

These fans choose to live game to game and have the long term memory of one game in which to make proclamations about our Steelers. And beware, no one is spared when these negative emotions are triggered.

Hines Ward is suddenly an enemy to progress. Polamalu is a nobody, someone to be discarded for not "producing. And favorite targets such as Arians and Gay take their pounding. Farrior and A. Smith were spared due to injury but I am confident that if they were on the field at all, shots of them being "too old' to play would have been thrown

out.

Yes, to these SHALLOW fans, the sky is falling. Yes, I said it. SHALLOW! These fans are have the depth of a wafer at Sunday Mass. "Tomlin sucks!" "Gay sucks" "Lebeau sucks" "Offense sucks" "What's wrong with Ben?" "Mendenhall sucks!" "Did we really pay Heath all that money?" blah, blah, blah...

And they become indignant when their negativity is pointed out. They argue that people like me are "homers" ... that they have the right to criticize the Steelers when criticism is due and other platitudes and high horse crap about not kissing the Steelers' butts, etc...

Now don't get me wrong. I respect a good argument. I respect someone who has seen the broad picture and week in and week out has enjoyed the Steelers' winning but still harbor concerns about certain areas. I respect someone who chooses to point out tactical weakness within our organization but understands the limited resources that goes with a draft and salary cap. I respect that this game is a game of calculated risk and chances and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose and recognize the Steelers to be one of the organizations that has won more than they lost for a multitude of years. I respect these fans.

No that is not what I am pointing out. I am calling out people who criticize and demean Steeler players as a scapegoat for their own misery in their OWN lives. Those are the ones that come to this board when we lose as misery is the only catalyst in their lives in which they act. Dumping on these players and coachs actually makes them somewhat happier. Its the release they need to ease the misery.

And there are quite a lot of you. You are the people who, with stocks, buy high and sell low. You are the first to jump on the bandwagon and is the first to jump off the sinking ship. You are actually ... bipolar, and I would not be surprised if you exhibited this bipolar behavior in other parts of your lives, outside of sports.

Do you not believe me? Can people be this shallow and flippant? Can they be so easily swung from one emotion to another? I am sad that the Steelers lost but my overall view of the team is still the same and has not changed: We have a shot to go the the SB and win it but we still have work to do. But for others, this latest loss has brought the window of opportunity to go all EMO on us and be practically suicidal.

If you still do not believe me, let me prove it .... how would the message board have looked this week IF THE REF CALLED THE PASS INTERFERENCE ON TORREY SMITH ...

Would just one referree's call, just a one second moment in a game with 10,800 seconds, just one isolated twitch of a neuron in a referree's brain ... CHANGE EVERYTHING IN YOUR STEELER WORLD?

Shallow indeed.
BRAVO.....THE STEELERS BRING JOY, PRIDE, SORROW AND TRIBULATION....THEY BRING CHARACTER, LEADERSHIP TO OUR YOUNG PEOPLE...GO STEELERS!!!!
queeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
queeg
Banned

Member Number: 18784

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
some people just react differently and some are just venting. I don't think it's fair to diagnose some of these people as having real problems when they could be saying things they don't really mean out of frustration.

hell i was once like that 10 years ago. I've calmed down a lot since my high school days where I'd get into actual fights over people talking crap about my team.

With that said, I see us having a good season still and posted a couple threads about it. 5-3 is no reason whatsoever to panic. 5-4 maybe lol, jk
IF YOU CANNOT POITIVELY CONTROL YOUR EMOTIONS, WRITINGS AND PHYSICAL ACTIONS YOU ARE A SICIETY OUTCAST AND SHOULD NOT RUIN OUR TEAM AND OUR JOY!!! LOTS IF US FOLLOW THE STEELERS DAILY....I HAVE FOR 60 YEARS....I DO NOT WANT MALCONTENTS TEARING DOWN OUR STEELERS....THICK OR THIN.
queeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #14
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,483 Times in 2,330 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by queeg View Post
IF YOU CANNOT POITIVELY CONTROL YOUR EMOTIONS, WRITINGS AND PHYSICAL ACTIONS YOU ARE A SICIETY OUTCAST AND SHOULD NOT RUIN OUR TEAM AND OUR JOY!!! LOTS IF US FOLLOW THE STEELERS DAILY....I HAVE FOR 60 YEARS....I DO NOT WANT MALCONTENTS TEARING DOWN OUR STEELERS....THICK OR THIN.
wow, good thing I'm not a 'society outcast'
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #15
Big Daddy Beast
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19145

Quote:
Originally Posted by queeg View Post
You're unadorned love of capital letters, that provocative usage of three exclamation marks when one would suffice, the mastery of the English language? Brilliant! I doff my cap to you.

EDIT: Oh, is English not your native language or are you mentally handicapped? I don't want to pick on someone over something they can't help.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #16
Goldsteel86
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432

Yep, its me I b******g whenever the Steelers lose, h**l I shouldn't. I mean sometimes I get too emotional, I apologize Steelers football is my passion, what the hey my five year old son loves the Steelers, so WTF I shouldn't voice my aggression on a Steelers post. I mean what the h**l I have been in the military for 19 years and some of these guys make more on one Sunday than I do in a year, hell they don't even have to get shot at. So I apologize, I think I'lll learn to control my anger, my aggression, I apologize for being "That Guy"!!!!!!
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #17
DoctorCAD
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10385

ETL must not visit too many forums.
DoctorCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #18
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post
ETL must not visit too many forums.
Agree
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #19
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

If were were a taem that LOST most games,it would be the opposite and we would have more excited fans visiting after a win!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #20
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

That was an abysmal drive by our defense. LeBeau has some problems holding on to close leads at the end of games. It's been apparent since the Super Bowl in '08. Very noticeable in 2009.