Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701
Default obsolete plays

I do not know if anyone will care to comment or discuss this topic. But I am curious why 4 plays that come to mind seem to have disappeared from the NFL. Or maybe I just am not watching enough football.

I am thinking of the draw play, the swing pass to a back out of the backfield, the pitchout and the old fashioned screen pass. Are defenses deemed to good now days for these plays to work?
steelerjim58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
NoFieldFive
Starter

Member Number: 10965
Default Re: obsolete plays

what happened to the clipping call?
NoFieldFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,134 Times in 917 Posts

I see draws, screens and swing passes still.

I'll tell you what though, I'd like to see the "bubble screen" and the "wide receiver screen" done away with.
They rarely work and to me both plays have "pick-six" written all over them.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
NoFieldFive
Starter

what happened to going for the coffin corner on punts and the hang time stat that used to show on tv for every punt?
Old 11-13-2011, 04:18 AM   #5
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFieldFive View Post
what happened to going for the coffin corner on punts and the hang time stat that used to show on tv for every punt?
The Goodell League obsession with scoring happened. Non-scoring plays, and defense altogether, are to be avoided at all costs. Coffin corner works, and there's no chance of scoring, so bye-bye.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,383 Posts
My Mood: Fine

meh - I boil it down to being a copy cat league

Would be interesting to see some success rate with those plays , ie: avg. gained yardage on each play, 1st down percentage on each play, TD % on each play, yards lost on each play, and turnover % on each play

I'm sure that would be pretty revealing

Aaron Rodgers is the poster boy for Goodell's efforts into changing NFL into Madden league and "A-Rod" has even gone as far to say he "loves where the league is going, with all the video game scores"

Rodgers' skill combined with his receivers' abilities to torch corners in the toughest of man coverage is only making things worse - I've never seen a QB be able to throw in the tightest of spots with tight one man, double and even between 3 DBs like #12 does on a weekly basis. Scary thing is that their offense is even sharper than the 18-1 Patriots and their defense is no where near as good. If they happen to go undefeated with Capers D giving up the likes of 400 yds/game of offense/100 yards rushing/22ppg and is ranked 17th well then it is the death of defense in general to me
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
Big Daddy Beast
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19145

When's the last time anyone saw a flea flicker or the Statue of Liberty play? The FF might not be dead, I just can't recall the last time I saw it used.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
NoFieldFive
Starter

what happened to the bubble screen? that play used to be so great. teams gaining 2 yards a play, often being stopped for a loss and the chance of it being picked every time was so exciting.

I wish the Steelers would bring that play back. I miss it! I believe the bubble screen is the one missing play that would put this offense over the top.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,134 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFieldFive View Post
what happened to the bubble screen? that play used to be so great. teams gaining 2 yards a play, often being stopped for a loss and the chance of it being picked every time was so exciting.

I wish the Steelers would bring that play back. I miss it! I believe the bubble screen is the one missing play that would put this offense over the top.
Weren't you paying attention to last week's game when Ben called over to Suggs and told him that a bubble screen was up next?
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote